Ohlin rear shock install on 954 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-13-2005, 1:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Ohlin rear shock install on 954

I looked over the manual on how to remove and install a rear shock for my 954. I have a spanking new Ohlin's rear shock sprung for my weight and I am ready to install it. I have a couple questions for those of you who have done a rear shock installation. Did you folks install new shock link bearings? Or just reinstall the shock link without servicing it?

Last edited by jaim; 03-13-2005 at 4:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-13-2005, 5:25 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Re: Olin rear shock install on 954

I just made sure that everything had a bit of grease and reinstalled the original. Works fine!

Official Racer Dude Guy, according to a neighborhood 6 year old.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-13-2005, 8:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Anyone noticed the poor design of the linkages (dogbone/sideplate junction) and the binding between the two? (if not have a close look next time your down that way and you'll notice the scuffing on at least one of the triagualar side plates as the dogbone just merrily floats from side to side) A better setup would have been to have a lip in the the center of the front dogebone collar and a bearing either side to keep it centered or at least a raised concentric area around pivot points of the triangular side plates so as to stop the binding between the two

2004 1000RR Racebike

www.jungleboyracing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-13-2005, 10:14 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleboy
Anyone noticed the poor design of the linkages (dogbone/sideplate junction) and the binding between the two? (if not have a close look next time your down that way and you'll notice the scuffing on at least one of the triagualar side plates as the dogbone just merrily floats from side to side) A better setup would have been to have a lip in the the center of the front dogebone collar and a bearing either side to keep it centered or at least a raised concentric area around pivot points of the triangular side plates so as to stop the binding between the two
This is normal. I really had deep groves on my VFR side plates. I just replaced them after 40,000 miles. If they are bad, replace them, otherwise you are good to go.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-13-2005, 10:41 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Yes I have noticed, I did change my bearing because one of them was a little loose, my triangular plates where grooved as well I reversed them so that the groove would be outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleboy
post #6 of 6 Old 05-12-2005, 10:27 AM

Reputation Power: 16

sorry to resurrect an old thread but did you guys also use thread lock and take off the exhaust to do the install?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page