Dead battery again - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 03-13-2005, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 21

Dead battery again

As if I wasn't disappointed enough after my battery let me down last month. I had a last minute track day planned and didn't make it due my battery not holding a charge for only 2 days. The battery was 2 years old so I didn't test it. It wouldn't hold a charge when the bike wasn't running for 2 days so I figured it's the battery. It was on the tender for several hours and then re-connected and it just sat in the bike for 2 days. This cheap bastard decided to save almost half the price of a new battery, ordered it online and got the generic substitute. It came in after the weekend for the track day. Not too disappointed thinking it was fate that kept me from going to the track that weekend. And I really wasn't prepared to go spend another $110.00 at the stealer in addition to my track fees and fuel costs.

I put the new battery on the tender and it was green in about 10 minutes. Great, it really was ready to go when I got it. Surprised. So I've only ridden it for about a tank full a couple of weeks ago and it was fine. Highway ride at high revs to I know it "should" have been charging.

Today, last day of bike week, we decide we are going to take a ride to Daytona and ride "The Loop" and check out what's left at the speedway. The battery is friggin' dead again.

It's charging and I'll take it to the parts store to test it tonight to see if it's just the battery.

I've already replaced 1 rectifier in this bike after wasting a couple of batteries. It sounds like the battery since it started fine when I parked it a couple of weeks ago.

Tell me again how I should just go to the damn dealer and buy a battery and pay them whatever they want for it.

This P.O.S. has a 12 month warranty. Think it's worth sending it back for a new one? You're trapped when buying a car battery with pro-rated warranties and you always have to go back to the same place to get the half price pro-rated deal.

Should I just cut my losses and once I find out it's just the battery, go give my money to the dealer?

Meanwhile, we are "driving" to Daytona today.
Got to change into shorts....It's 80.

Edit:
Probably won't get too much sympathy with a February track day planned and I really will be wearing shorts today. Sorry.

Last edited by smkeatr; 03-13-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: Dead battery again

Sucks to hear about your downtime due to the battery. I need to buy a new battery too, so I don't run into the same problem as I head off to the track. Which battery did you buy and where did you get it from? I found a Yuasa replacement online for $83 at Motorcyclebatteriesusa.com

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #3 of 23 Old 03-13-2005, 12:34 PM

Reputation Power: 33

Sounds to me you may have 2 potential problems:

1. Tha battery should be charged for 24 hrs prior to installing in the bike to get a good deep charge, not 10 min on a tender. I set mine on a 2 amp setting after checking the fluid level.

2. After the batt is installed, Check the drain on the electrical system. This can be done with a simple volt meter. Disconnect the positive side of the battery and clamp one lead to the post of the battery and the other to the cable. It should not read over maybe 1 - 1.5 volts. If it does read over that you have a drain in the electrical system. This could be caused from anything from a bad rec, stator or a bad switch. While watching the meter pull fuses one at a time and see what circut the drain is comming from and trace it from there.

It's amazing how stupid some people can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 03-13-2005, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
Sounds to me you may have 2 potential problems:

1. Tha battery should be charged for 24 hrs prior to installing in the bike to get a good deep charge, not 10 min on a tender. I set mine on a 2 amp setting after checking the fluid level.

2. After the batt is installed, Check the drain on the electrical system. This can be done with a simple volt meter. Disconnect the positive side of the battery and clamp one lead to the post of the battery and the other to the cable. It should not read over maybe 1 - 1.5 volts. If it does read over that you have a drain in the electrical system. This could be caused from anything from a bad rec, stator or a bad switch. While watching the meter pull fuses one at a time and see what circut the drain is comming from and trace it from there.
The OEM batteries are AGM sealed units. How did you check the fluid level?

post #5 of 23 Old 03-13-2005, 1:40 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider
It's on the left next to the blinker fluid dipstick . . .
post #6 of 23 Old 03-13-2005, 2:42 PM

Go get a battery from Walmart.. I believe around $30-$35.. Keep this one as a reserve. I did and that battery has been good ever since.. solid piece.

YellRR

Last edited by YellowRR; 03-13-2005 at 2:43 PM.
post #7 of 23 Old 03-13-2005, 2:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
Thanks ab, I know how to grease the muffler bearings but this one is new to me...

post #8 of 23 Old 03-13-2005, 2:54 PM

Reputation Power: 33

Quote:
I took a hatchet and busted the top off of it and just duct taped the top back on.

It's amazing how stupid some people can be.
post #9 of 23 Old 03-13-2005, 7:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sucks to hear about your downtime due to the battery. I need to buy a new battery too, so I don't run into the same problem as I head off to the track. Which battery did you buy and where did you get it from? I found a Yuasa replacement online for $83 at Motorcyclebatteriesusa.com
I got the Yacht CTZ10S from them for $68.00. It does say "MF" on it and it sure is.

Is a "deep charge" really needed when my tender light says green? Of course any battery I've ever bought from a dealer, I'm told it's "ready to go", no charging needed. (yeah right) I've always trickle charged them with my 1 amp charger overnight before installing. This was before I got the tender with the handy little green light.

I don't have a voltmeter on hand. My local Discount Auto seems to have this machine that can tell you if it's discharged or not or if it's basically a P.O.S. I arrived home 6 hours later now and it is strong enough to start the bike but the light on the tender is still red. I'll wait for it to go green, if it ever does, and see what Discount's handy machine tells me in the morning.

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: My extended warranty expires in June of this year.

Last edited by smkeatr; 03-13-2005 at 7:26 PM.
post #10 of 23 Old 03-13-2005, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
post #11 of 23 Old 03-14-2005, 7:33 PM Thread Starter

Just had the battery tested at the local Advance Auto. It's good. Time for a new rectifier I suppose. Anyone had to replace more than one of these??
post #12 of 23 Old 03-14-2005, 7:39 PM

I heard from DK that the rectifier was one of the 2 things I would have to worry about on the blade the rest is all good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkeatr
Just had the battery tested at the local Advance Auto. It's good. Time for a new rectifier I suppose. Anyone had to replace more than one of these??
post #13 of 23 Old 03-14-2005, 7:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'timbré
I heard from DK that the rectifier was one of the 2 things I would have to worry about on the blade the rest is all good.
What is the other of the 2 things?
post #14 of 23 Old 03-14-2005, 7:51 PM

I cant remember I was stressed speaking english with the guy and he seemed really busy but it was all electrical stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkeatr
What is the other of the 2 things?
post #15 of 23 Old 03-14-2005, 9:01 PM

Yo, jackie, how come you're the only member here who insists on putting the quoted text below his new commentary? Get with the program, would ya???

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'timbré
I cant remember I was stressed speaking english with the guy and he seemed really busy but it was all electrical stuff

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page