Heavy front brake drag. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-31-2003, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Heavy front brake drag.

Well, I had just changed my brake lines to SS for better feel at the track, and had new diablo corsas mounted up. After putting everything back together, I now have tons of front break drag. Everything appears to be back together fine and works well but if I exit a corner hard and it lifts the front at all, when it contacts the ground I get a big old chirp from the front tire. When the bike is on the stands, I can hardly rotate the front. What gives? Any suggestions to gain some rotor clearance. These are older pads (still got some life) and everything was working fine when I took it apart. Kinda freaky to hear. Any ideas?

Anyone? Please!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-31-2003, 11:22 AM

How much drag? All brakes drag some. Anything less than 1/2-3/4 turn when you spin it seems like it is excessive.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-31-2003, 11:31 AM

Front axle spacers on the correct sides?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 07-31-2003, 11:38 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Before tightening down the axle bolt and pinch bolts, give the wheel a spin and hit the brakes a few times, to help center the rotors. Then tighten stuff. I think the order was to tighten the axle bolt, then the right side pinch bolts (rider's perspective), then take it off the stands, bounce it a few times, then tighten the left side pinch bolts.

*Someone please correct me if this sequence is wrong. I'm doing it from memory, the order may be different**

I had a lot of drag initially, but did the above, (or something real similar) and now the amount of drag is normal. The wheel will spin for about 1 to 1 1/2 revolutions.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-31-2003, 11:43 AM

You got it right HGT.

My guess is the spacers aren't on correctly or the sequence HGT mentioned was not followed. There is some flex in the fork tubes at the bottom and if you don't center the wheel along the axle before you tighten everything down then you will get excessive drag from the brakes.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-31-2003, 11:50 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Well, duh, get your fingers off the brake lever
Seriously, though, I'm gonna go with Conq on this one. Check those spacers to make sure they're on the proper sides.
Possibly warped rotors? Or, might need to shim the calipers. Let us know what it turns out to be.

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '05!
'01 CBR929RR Y/B, '02 Honda XR50 Death Machine
But officer, it's only a 4 cylinder!
post #7 of 20 Old 07-31-2003, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

It could be incorrect spacer setup. I had left them in the wheels originally but when they mounted the rubber, they pulled them and I just reinstalled them how I thought was correct

Let see here. As of right now, I have the spacer with the large flange on right side against the right fork leg (sitting on the bike). The straight gage spacer is against the step in the axle. Sound right?

At most I might get 1/2 turn. Way to tight. I had thought it might be because I had the pistons pushed way out when I bled them and ended up pushing them back in thier bores but out of center so I thought some riding would finsh centering them. WRONG! Still really really bad. I'll have to try what HGT had mentioned. Come to think of it, I think tightened everything up on the stands.

No warped rotors and no I'm not grabbing the lever! LOL

Any idea if the spacers are right? If so I'll loosen the axle clamps and try the above mentioned bounce method. Thankx.

fast

post #8 of 20 Old 07-31-2003, 12:42 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Also, check that the fork tubes have not slipped in the triple clamps. This happened on my friend's bike when he had the wheel off, and it made the brakes drag badly. Make sure they are at the same height at the top of the upper trible clamp.

When I take put the front back on, I put the axle through, tighten the pinch bolts on the side without the nut. Then I tighten the nut on the axle, then tighten the pinch bolts on the nut side. It is not quite what the manual says to do, but it always has worked fine. No brake drag. I get 1 1/2 to 2 revolutions. Done it at least five times. I don't even bounce the front end any more before the final tightening like I used to.
post #9 of 20 Old 07-31-2003, 1:56 PM

Reputation Power: 31

I forget offhand which side the spacers go on. I'll have a look when I get home, unless someone else chimes in.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-31-2003, 3:33 PM

I beleive the space with the flange is on the Front Brake lever side and the straight flange is on the clutch side. I looked at my bike but the aftermarket wheels came with new spacers so I'm going from memory.

Bill
post #11 of 20 Old 07-31-2003, 3:37 PM Thread Starter

According to your accounts, I should be fine with the spacing then. Maybe I just need to loosen the front wheel and do the bounce trick

Like I said, it was fine when I pulled it apart and the only difference is the brake lines and the new rubber.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-31-2003, 4:15 PM

I think the spacers are correct. My guess is you just need to center the wheel. You would be surprised how much affect this little step will have on the brake drag.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-31-2003, 4:23 PM

Since you replaced the brake lines, is it possible you have air in the lines? If everything else is correct, I would pursue that.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-31-2003, 4:25 PM Thread Starter

Thankx lfg. I'll pull it down later and see if I can get it sorted. Like you said, what seems so small is making a huge difference. I had almost no brake drag prior, now I can hardly get the wheel to spin.

Thankx again.
post #15 of 20 Old 07-31-2003, 7:13 PM

BigDawg,

If the spacers check out OK, and the bounce trick doesn't help, you may be experiencing something I just went through.

After a minor off-road excursion at Buttonwillow (no crash, just some dirt ridin&#39, my brakes started doing exactly what you describe. *I tried both of the above ideas, but no luck. *Now, I know you just changed lines and bled the brakes and in the process, you probably pushed the pads and therefore the pistons back into their bores. *If you didn't clean around the pistons before doing this, it can contaminate the seals with dirt/crud which will then keep the pistons from retracting properly from the rotors after applying the brakes.

My calipers were dirty from off-roading, and when I swapped lines it created part of my problem with the brakes dragging. *The other part was a very hot day at Buttonwillow (just under 100) that helped my pads to embed quite a bit of their material into the rotor surface, causing lots of friction between pad/rotor.

The fix was to rebuild the calipers with new seals to remove the contamination and use Scotch-brite & acetone to scrub the rotors clean on both sides. *Also, I installed some new pads at the same time. *Problem solved. *The front wheel now spins like new.

As this was a bit of work to remedy, I hope that you are successful with the bounce trick. *But if it doesn't help, you might try the caliper rebuild with pads and scrub the rotors clean.

Best of luck to you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page