Brake pads - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 03-17-2005, 9:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 33

Brake pads

It's time to replace the pads on the 54. Need some input as to what is working on your bike and how you like them. I mainly street ride but will have the same bike on the track several times this year and probably more next year.

It's amazing how stupid some people can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-17-2005, 9:26 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: Brake pads

Stick with the stock pads. For the price and type of riding you do they're probably the best.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #3 of 20 Old 03-18-2005, 4:11 AM

Reputation Power: 0

EBC... Thats what I suggest, especially for the front. I have stock rear pads. No complaints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-18-2005, 6:33 AM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot

EBC's will eat you rotors over time.... I have always put DP HH+ pads on my bikes as soon as I can after getting them. They stop fantastic, are easy on rotors, and have a great feel.
Chris
post #5 of 20 Old 03-18-2005, 9:25 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Another vote for stock pads. They really do work better with the stock calipers than the aftermarkets. I have Galfer pads on now, only because they came free with the lines. I'm going back to stock soon. If you feel like splurging, I hear good things about the $160 HRC pads.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-18-2005, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerPilot
EBC's will eat you rotors over time.... I have always put DP HH+ pads on my bikes as soon as I can after getting them. They stop fantastic, are easy on rotors, and have a great feel.
Chris

I agree with Niner. I've got the DP HH+ pads on my F3 and they've been great.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-18-2005, 10:52 AM

stockers are good unless you serious about track riding/braking skills. My experience w/ EBC were bad. I will not waste my $ on them. For all out stopping performance at the track the Vesrah superRJLs (150$) can not be beat!!!! Carbone lorraine c43(race) are pretty good also..cheaper (100$). The have some street pads that may be good. All of those are suppose to be rotor friendly...no probs for me.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-18-2005, 11:01 AM

get some Braking wavey disc's on the Blade with Braking pads on the front and stock pads on the rear, you will not regret it, stopping power is increased big time, they also look good to.

wichet
post #9 of 20 Old 03-18-2005, 11:27 AM

Reputation Power: 25

The stockers are great even if you are serious about your track riding and braking skills. They don't fade much, even on a tight hard braking track, and you can pick up the rear wheel anytime you want, at any speed. Maybe you need something differerent if you are among the very fastest, but until then, they will do fine. If you're just doing track days, even in the advanced/expert group, I can hardly see where they would not be perfectly fine. But then, maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

02FBlade, did you see any real problems that were fixed by going to those other pads? Or is it more just a personal preferrence?

Last edited by Zippy; 03-18-2005 at 11:49 AM.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-18-2005, 12:03 PM

Not really any problems other than much, much, much more stopping power & less level action required..less fading. The Vesrahs and CL's brake harder as they heat up...with the same level action. I had a set of galfer greens (racepads) at VIR N....they did not, you had to use more level to get more stopping power...which totally killed my wrists by the end of the day. I never rode the stockers on a track.

FYI: anytime you change pads (brands/types) I would get the rotors bead blasted or clean really well and scrub old pad material off. Once you get the new material on the rotors you'll have better brakes than by just poping on new pads. The best setup I've run are SS lines, Motu fluid w/ the vesrah superrjl pads...Brenbo may be better but those vesrah pads are almost too strong! Honestly!!!! At the ROC last year I was wearing out the middle of my tires..not the edge.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-18-2005, 12:09 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Ok, I'll have to try some later this year. Do those Vesrah superRJLs last pretty good? I've run though several sets of stockers at the track. They have good feel, but they do fade a bit. Not enough to give you troubles, but the lever comes back further at the end of a 20 minute run on a tight, hard braking track than it did at the start. They feel a bit squishier. You can still slow just as hard, and there is very little difference in lever force required, but they do fade a bit. You start to notice it after the pad is beyond the halfway point in terms of wear.

This is not enough to be upsetting or anything, just enough to notice. They are still consistant and reliable for the track. I've used them for most of my 37+ track days. I tried some other pads that I bought off ebay, but they turned out to be crap. They required a much harder lever pull. I went back to the stockers after that.

Last edited by Zippy; 03-18-2005 at 12:21 PM.
post #12 of 20 Old 03-18-2005, 12:49 PM

I've run the CL c43s for almost a full season. Team vesrah runs these at the 8 hour suzuka race w/o problems.

The CLs and the Vesrahs have a really easy break in....one slow/easy session and they are ready to rock...unlike the EBC junk.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-18-2005, 1:32 PM

I'm on my second set of Gafler HH. No complaints. I've done many trackdays with them. Plenty of braking power and a reasonable price. There around $50 a set from Cal Sportbikes.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-18-2005, 3:20 PM

I have put approximately 7 thousand+ miles on bikes with EBC pads. And have never experienced accelerated wear.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-18-2005, 7:30 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider
Stick with the stock pads. For the price and type of riding you do they're probably the best.
I bought OEM pads for front and rear thinking that with the way the 954 brakes I would need them before 5,000 miles. I have done 8,000 and am nowhere near needing pads yet. (at least I have full sets sitting on the shelf for when I do!)

$67.88 for a full front set, and $29.38 for the rear from Ron Ayers

Last edited by allred; 03-18-2005 at 7:38 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page