Aftermarket or custom airbox for CBR1000RR? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-03-2005, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Aftermarket or custom airbox for CBR1000RR?

I have an 04 CBR1000RR installed in a 2001 ds650 and all I like is to make or customize the factory airbox (My top plastic piece is not going to fit with the factory bulky airbox). My questions are:

1. What will it hurt if I do not use the airbox injectors and just run off of the other 4 injectors?

2. Does anybody make a custom airbox for these later model motorcycle motors with 8 fuel injectors?

3. Is there a certain distance that the top injectors have to be from the throttle body blades, in other words can I move them closer down?

Any input would be appreciated greatly,

thanks, Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-03-2005, 12:36 PM

Re: Aftermarket or custom airbox for CBR1000RR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5ls1vette

1. What will it hurt if I do not use the airbox injectors and just run off of the other 4 injectors?
A serious lean condition when the ECU tries to turn them on. Do not try this without really really knowing what you're doing and a wideband O2 meter.

BTW, I went to a QB carbon airbox on my 929 that stock has a worse than the 1000RR set-up, and still didn't see any gains on the dyno. Dunno what I got on track with the CAI/ram air ducts but it did seem to help a bit.

Play if you like(and I certainly understand the fun in it), but I think you could find better gains spending your time messing with other things.

Last edited by luvtolean; 05-03-2005 at 12:37 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-03-2005, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the input. I must be a little clearer, I am not doing this for any kind of power gain I am just trying to get my top factory four wheeler plastic to fit.
The stock airbox is completely to big. I noticed that you said that I would experience a lean condition if I unplug the top injectors does anybody know where I can get the tools (software and hardware) to adjust the computer on the 1000RR if I have it hooked up to my wideband O2 on my dyno?

Last edited by c5ls1vette; 05-03-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-03-2005, 12:49 PM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

I would say modify the bodywork before messing with the FI.

BTW you must post pics a/o videos of this atv. Sounds very cool.

And then there's this asshole...
post #5 of 8 Old 05-03-2005, 2:03 PM

Dynojet powercommander is what you need. I doubt the single set of injectors will provide enough fuel at high load/RPM. You will probably need to figure out how to at least jack up the fuel pressure, and even look into bigger injectors. (something I doubt anyone this side of a pro team has tried with a 1000RR)

I'd put more energy into modding the bodywork or even frame myself.

Sounds like a wild project!

post #6 of 8 Old 05-03-2005, 2:13 PM

Reputation Power: 18

To my knowledge you cannot modify Honda's ECU on their bikes.
I have asked a dealer and they say they are not allowed to touch them and there are no tools available that will allow to mod it. There is the powercommander but like LTL stated your project is probably way beyond its use.

Lets see pics and vids when you figure this all out.

There are some who call me ............................Tim
post #7 of 8 Old 05-03-2005, 3:25 PM Thread Starter

again, thanks for all of the responses. I will definitely post pics, dyno numbers ,and 1/8 mile times after I get it completely finished. By the way this thing is very fast on a four wheeler.

Last edited by c5ls1vette; 05-03-2005 at 3:43 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-05-2005, 4:00 AM

A couple of thoughts. Take from them what you will. Ever think to yourself why you most often get worse power from these new Hondas (as well as any new Jap 4) with a new aftermarket air cleaner? Say, like K&N... or BMC? How about the thought going behind two FI's per/cyl? Surely it would be cheaper to make, cheaper to assemble, easier to design a single injector unit . And yet... they did it any way. Hmmm.

My simple guess is that Honda being an engineering firm (and that is what they are first & foremost) is that they have $h!t-loads of data. Raw data, and crunched data...code. Code that they've retained because it showed a certain something, and code that they've dumped.

After all this is the bike to supplant the AMA & WSB winning RC-51. This is what Honda planned to carry their laurels for quite sometime.

And alas, every single Asian cometetor in the litre class has copied or come up with something strikingly alike in design & execution. Hmmmm!

It can be done... but you'll need either a lot of computational power/memory; and/or some fantastic intuitive skills (plus a wee bit of luck). I hope for your endeavour that you obtain what it is you seek.

This may be considered blasphemous, but a person you might run this passed is Martin Chasse @:

http://borg20011.tripod.com/the_links_section.htm#

He's a die-hard Tuning Fork guy, but he know his stuff. And he's very knowledgable about fuel systems. Best-o-luck.

Another guy you could run this past is Ivan of Ivan's Needles fame, again he knows the insides of a Yamaha slant-block, but he's very knowledgable about Kawis and others, too.

Cheers

Last edited by Whippet Goode; 05-05-2005 at 4:04 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page