Question for you tech heads - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-04-2005, 9:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Question for you tech heads

I have a question and would greatly appreciate any input that you guys can offer...here goes

the symptoms:
around 5000rpm the bike makes a "metalic" rattle(louder than keys jangling but similar to the sound) not much higher in the rpm range it goes away and any lower, it disapears it seems to be coming from the front, leftish side (mind you it may be from the right and I am just hearing it wrong )

I have also noticed that when I get up over 9000RPM(not often) the clutch tends to slip(or feels like it does, maybe its breaking traction?) the bike only has 4000KMS on it and has been very well maintained including fresh oil about 600kms ago.

What I am wondering is if the two are connected? I have also had my cam chain tensioner done already(under waranty) but I stil have a small tick around 3-3500RPM could this be related to it?

All in all the bike "seems" fine but I was wondering if any one else has had this or a similar problem? could they have forgotten to tighten a nut on the clutch? so many moving parts

Like I said any info helps, thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-04-2005, 10:35 PM

Re: Question for you tech heads

Why a nut in the clutch? the cam chain on the 954 has nothing to do with the clutch, 3 bolts(facking hard to get to ) but that's it and unless it's gone bad again thoses bolts could not rattle like that. On the 954 it's on the right side

I was told many times to wear earplugs and not worry about noises from my engine, vales, injectors, htev, so I did, but now 44000 km later with a blown engine, sounds will never be the same to me.

Sorry
post #3 of 10 Old 05-04-2005, 10:39 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Does this rattle happen on acceleration and deceleration, or just one? Could be a harmonic being set up in the exhaust valve, my 954 used to rattle a bit when coming off the throttle etc.

**** nose what this "clutch slip" type problem is though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-04-2005, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

The sound "sounds" like it is coming from the oppisite side of the bike from the cam chain tensioner, but I did not know if the two would have been related

it is a funny sound? not like a grinding but more a loose sound? if that makes any sence...I had a clutch nut back off on one of my old dirt bikes and it ended up wearing through one of the cases(not pretty)

I also have changed the front sprocket? would this affect anything?

I am just about out of things that I can check, but I hate going to the stealership it is a pain in the...side, and it is an hour away

I don't think that it would be a bottom end of the engine thing but it just sounds as if something is loose?
post #5 of 10 Old 05-04-2005, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuTAnT
Does this rattle happen on acceleration and deceleration, or just one? Could be a harmonic being set up in the exhaust valve, my 954 used to rattle a bit when coming off the throttle etc.

I dont know if it would be anything in the exhaust or not? good idea, I will do some poking around. As for when it does it(makes noise) it seems to do it from 4800RPM to around 5500RPM under acceleration and deceleration. It is not a very big window but I hear it all the time. I think that I would be able to hear it MORE with plugs in, I have just been in town lately so I have had them out and am having a hard time telling what/where it is from.

As for the clutch...it could just be a little wheel slipage, but, I am not up that high in the rpm range very often. I have noticed it when I roll on quickly to WOT in 2nd and 3rd(very high load) from around 7000-8000RPM it does not do it all the time and it does not seem to be getting any worse? I am not so worried about that part, unless it gets worse.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-05-2005, 10:10 AM

A 15T sprocket will make more noise then a 16T for shure don't know if rpm range changes the sound...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern RR
The sound "sounds" like it is coming from the oppisite side of the bike from the cam chain tensioner, but I did not know if the two would have been related

it is a funny sound? not like a grinding but more a loose sound? if that makes any sence...I had a clutch nut back off on one of my old dirt bikes and it ended up wearing through one of the cases(not pretty)

I also have changed the front sprocket? would this affect anything?

I am just about out of things that I can check, but I hate going to the stealership it is a pain in the...side, and it is an hour away

I don't think that it would be a bottom end of the engine thing but it just sounds as if something is loose?
post #7 of 10 Old 05-05-2005, 10:38 AM

Reputation Power: 20

As many have said before, just wear earplugs. I've ridden my 954 without earplugs a few times and it scares the hell out of me with all the noises I hear. Good luck, hope it's nothing serious.

Look, lean, believe!!
post #8 of 10 Old 05-07-2005, 7:12 PM
AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern RR
I have a question and would greatly appreciate any input that you guys can offer...here goes

the symptoms:
around 5000rpm the bike makes a "metalic" rattle(louder than keys jangling but similar to the sound) not much higher in the rpm range it goes away and any lower, it disapears it seems to be coming from the front, leftish side (mind you it may be from the right and I am just hearing it wrong )

I have also noticed that when I get up over 9000RPM(not often) the clutch tends to slip(or feels like it does, maybe its breaking traction?) the bike only has 4000KMS on it and has been very well maintained including fresh oil about 600kms ago.

What I am wondering is if the two are connected? I have also had my cam chain tensioner done already(under waranty) but I stil have a small tick around 3-3500RPM could this be related to it?

All in all the bike "seems" fine but I was wondering if any one else has had this or a similar problem? could they have forgotten to tighten a nut on the clutch? so many moving parts

Like I said any info helps, thanks guys
Northern,
Had same sound on my 900RR... turned out to be the Mirror! Yes, the glass in the mirror would rattle slightly at certain rpms, making what I swore was a engine related sound. Anyhow, a bit of silcone around the edge fixed it.

-Al
post #9 of 10 Old 05-07-2005, 7:21 PM Thread Starter

thanks al, Iwill check that out...I am almost sure that it is coming from the ignition or close too it? but I will check the mirrors just in case
post #10 of 10 Old 05-07-2005, 8:07 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

tighten all the bolts you can find. if they rattle you'll find it right away when you start to turn them. Just something to try. The noise could be a loose bolt and washer rattling, at certain rpm the frequency of the rattle will be different and might be inaudible.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page