Anyone notice a rattle after Scotts damper install? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 05-05-2005, 2:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Anyone notice a rattle after Scotts damper install?

I just got my Scotts damper and installed it this afternoon. I believe I did everything correctly, but there seems to be a bit of a rattle when I'm starting up in first gear at pretty low revs. I never noticed it at all before the damper.

I also greased the pin pretty well, and tightened down all of the screws pretty tight.

Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-05-2005, 10:33 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Re: Anyone notice a rattle after Scotts damper install?

Before they modified the mounting bracket, yes. You may have one of the earlier mounting kits. Check the very front tab of your gas tank. It may be coming into contact with the Scotts mounting bracket. Scotts slightly revised the bracket design after people complained. Don't worry, it is easy to fix it yourself.

Normally, the gas tank is isolated from vibration by rubber mounting points. If the tank is hitting the bracket, it can rattle and amplify the noises from the motor. If the bracket is close or is hitting the tab, you can fix it. Remove the damper and the bracket piece that goes over the gas tank bolts. Use a file to add some clearance right where it contacts the tank tab. A small notch is enough, and it won't hurt the strength of the mount. My Scotts mount had the same problem on my 929, and this fixed it right up.
post #3 of 21 Old 05-05-2005, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

OK, after fiddling with it a bit last night, it seems it's probably either the slot where the tower pin slides in the damper. Doesn't seem like there is much to do about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 05-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

You might want to recheck the stem nut and the setscrews to make sure they're all properly torqued. The pin shouldn't rattle.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #5 of 21 Old 05-05-2005, 3:39 PM Thread Starter

I'll check the bracket clearance on the tank. I didn't notice it being a problem earlier.

I also checked the stem set screws. They all seem plenty tight.

Thanks.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-05-2005, 4:06 PM

Reputation Power: 25

It may only hit the tank when you are riding. Look to see if there is daylight between the bracket and the tank tab. When sitting static, the parts were barely even touching, but closer inspection revealed that the paint was chipped off the tip of the tab. You might need to remove the mount to check properly.
post #7 of 21 Old 05-05-2005, 5:48 PM Thread Starter

Doesn't look like anything's hitting anywhere. I assume I got one of the newer versions. It's annoying, because I can only hear it when I'm riding and when it's going through certain rev ranges, but I can't pinpoint it with my helmet on and paying attention to the road, etc. Then when I stop, everything seems really tight and locked down. Not sure what it could be.
post #8 of 21 Old 05-06-2005, 8:45 AM

When ever I got a rattle it was because one or two of the set screws has backed off alittle. When you grab the scots and twist it, does it move any on the bars?
post #9 of 21 Old 05-06-2005, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirkbac
When ever I got a rattle it was because one or two of the set screws has backed off alittle. When you grab the scots and twist it, does it move any on the bars?
No, it seems to be very solid. One thing I noticed this morning is that when I heard the rattle I would take my left hand off the bars to try to press on this or that to see if I could locate the problem, and the rattle would go away as soon as I took my left hand off. Then I figured out that it seems like when my left hand was on the grip or even pushing forward it would rattle more, and when my left hand was off the grip or slightly pulling the bar toward me I didn't hear it. Weird.

I'm going to try to retighten everything tonight.

One other thing, I noticed that the stock bar ends are a bit loose once in a while. It seems like I could overtighten them pretty easily, and they don't want to get too snug. Is that normal?
post #10 of 21 Old 05-06-2005, 7:53 PM Thread Starter

OK, so I think it was my clutch lever. It was adjusted a tiny bit too loose, and so when it pulled back when you release it, it wasn't quite pulling up tight against the stop, so I think it was rattling slightly. I readjusted it slightly tighter, went for a buzz around the parking lot and that seemed to do the trick, but I'll know for sure after my next ride. If that fixes it I'll be very happy that the damper is installed correctly!
post #11 of 21 Old 05-09-2005, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronner
OK, so I think it was my clutch lever. It was adjusted a tiny bit too loose, and so when it pulled back when you release it, it wasn't quite pulling up tight against the stop, so I think it was rattling slightly. I readjusted it slightly tighter, went for a buzz around the parking lot and that seemed to do the trick, but I'll know for sure after my next ride. If that fixes it I'll be very happy that the damper is installed correctly!
Well, it wasn't the clutch lever. Dammit. I can't tell what it is. I wonder if I've overtightened something? Everything feels very solid. I don't really feel like taking it apart, but I suppose I better.

The thing that bugs me is that I can't hear it clearly enough with my helmet on to figure out where it is coming from, and I can't pinpoint how to stop it.
post #12 of 21 Old 05-10-2005, 12:28 AM

do what all the rednecks do with their farm animals... make sure you grease 'er up real godd so it slides in nice an snugg!
post #13 of 21 Old 05-10-2005, 9:45 AM

Get the bike at the RPM things rattle at and just start grabbing everything you can one by one till the rattle stops or changes. Make sure you grab your keys and lock also, mine rattles now and then.
post #14 of 21 Old 05-10-2005, 9:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Get the bike at the RPM things rattle at and just start grabbing everything you can one by one till the rattle stops or changes. Make sure you grab your keys and lock also, mine rattles now and then.
Ya, I'll try that. It only seems to do it most of the time though when the bike is moving. It's very odd and quite a bit annoying. I'm also wondering if the collar part (with all the hex screws that goes around the fork nut) is seated so tightly that it's vibrating against the top of the fork?
post #15 of 21 Old 05-14-2005, 1:43 AM

Quote:
+1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page