954 Suspension Question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-08-2005, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954 Suspension Question

I have just purchased a 954. Have ridden it about 500 miles. I've been away from riding for a few years but the bike seems to be very light in the front and 'shakes' under acceleration on bumpy roads. I've read many of the suspension related articles and it appears that everyone is suggesting rebuilding of both front and rear suspension or upgrading to aftermarket. Looking for advice as to where to start on this effort. I've tried modifying dampening, rebound and preload but haven't been able to find a great setup as of yet. Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-08-2005, 11:21 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Re: 954 Suspension Question

to the org Rock.
I've just been through this exercise. If in the US I would probably send the forks to Dan Kyle for his magic touch. You may want to consider upgrading or rebuilding/reworking the rear shock too. You will still need someone to set the bike up after this unless you are pretty good at it. And after you've done all that, if the bike still gets bad head shakes get a decent steering damper (Scotts if you prefer rotary dampers or Ohlins or something of similar quality if piston dampers float your boat).

Getting my suspension reworked has transformed the handling of my bike beyond recognition. I also have a Scotts damper. My bike rides very nice now

my bike
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandpa
not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-09-2005, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

RPinOZ,

Thanks for the response. I am in the US; how would I contact Dan Kyle (web page, email, etc.)? I'm definitely looking to resolve the head shakes! I like to ride hard but this symptom certainly deters me from pushing the bike to its' abilities. I'm also thinking of taking it for a track day.

I've currently got a Leo Vince exhaust but no PC. Is there a significant improvement with the PC? I noticed you have it listed in your profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-09-2005, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock
RPinOZ,

Thanks for the response. I am in the US; how would I contact Dan Kyle (web page, email, etc.)? I'm definitely looking to resolve the head shakes! I like to ride hard but this symptom certainly deters me from pushing the bike to its' abilities. I'm also thinking of taking it for a track day.

I've currently got a Leo Vince exhaust but no PC. Is there a significant improvement with the PC? I noticed you have it listed in your profile.
I don't have contact details for Dan Kyle but use the search function in the top menu and you will find heaps on Dan.
His website is here
The PC3 has made a difference to the power curve on my bike but to fully exploit the PC you need to get a custom map made. This is done by a licensed Dynojet operator with a dyno and the appropriate software. My map is one i have come to through a process of trial and error. I have booked in to get a custom map done later this week. And whether or not a PC offers a worthwhile advantage if you don't have a full exhaust replacement is debatable IMO.

my bike
post #5 of 13 Old 05-09-2005, 3:06 AM

Yup, what RP said, which is what I said to him a while back *told ya so!*

Do suspension first, send it to Dan Kyle, get the rear shock done too. You're in the states so I'd seriously consider putting up a "wanted" post for a 2nd hand Ohlins shock. Over here we get stung BAD for things like shocks, in the US their more afforedable. If you can put down the cash for it, it's worth the money.

As far as PCs go, they are brilliant if you realise what they are meant for. They are not to maximise just your top end HP, and in fact they may not always even give a huge gain up top etc. The big differenc comes from driveability, smoothness, fuel economy and good drive/torque in the mid range. Basically they tidy up all the **** that's just not quite right with the standard fuelling. Having said that, you'll only get the real benefits if it's a custom map. Putting in a half arsed map just doesn't cut it.

Have a look at RPs thread here.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-09-2005, 4:56 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Hi Rock, welcome. I second what RP said. I had my forks reworked by Dan and got an Ohlins rear. Night and day. Get a steering damper, too. Lots of folks here like the Scotts, a rotary-styled damper. I prefer piston style, so I have a Hyperpro. If I had it to do again, though, I'd get the Ohlins damper.
Are you in the eastern part of PA? I'm in central NJ.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-09-2005, 10:02 AM

I put a GPR rotary style damper on mine. It has eliminated headshake all together. Basically the same style damper as the Scotts, but pricing around will get you one a little cheaper. Got mine for $360 at Indysuperbikes.com Hope this helps.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-09-2005, 9:21 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Have to agree with most people here about the reworking of your suspension and getting a damper. Just assume you are going to get the damper. They work great. One thing to check on your bike right now though. Are you forks pushed up in the upper triple tree. They should be flush, meaning that the fork tubes are flush with the surface of the upper triple tree. If they are raised some then that could be a cause of unstable steering.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-09-2005, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaim
One thing to check on your bike right now though. Are you forks pushed up in the upper triple tree. They should be flush, meaning that the fork tubes are flush with the surface of the upper triple tree. If they are raised some then that could be a cause of unstable steering.
This also depends on fork spring rate and rear ride height. My bike has stiffer front springs which raise the ride height at the front. To compensate for this my suspension wizard has raised the tubes in the triple tree and shimmed the rear to raise the ride height there.

my bike

Last edited by RPinOZ; 05-09-2005 at 9:34 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-10-2005, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
Hi Rock, welcome. I second what RP said. I had my forks reworked by Dan and got an Ohlins rear. Night and day. Get a steering damper, too. Lots of folks here like the Scotts, a rotary-styled damper. I prefer piston style, so I have a Hyperpro. If I had it to do again, though, I'd get the Ohlins damper.
Are you in the eastern part of PA? I'm in central NJ.
HondaGalToo, I am in South Central PA. I sometimes get to NJ on business (Mahwah, Paramus) but never with the bike. Thanks for the response. I just talked with a friend of mine and he indicated he just got his forks re-worked for his RC51 by Dan and indicated a great improvement. He also suggested that I should do the shock as well. Also, indicated I should get a damper to improve handling.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-10-2005, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...just got same recommendation to go with the GPR; friend of mine has one on his RC51 and said it works great. It sounds like I've got several items that I need to get for the bike. Has a Leo Vince full exhaust but I don't think there is a Power Commander on the bike (seems to run rich). Need forks re-built; rear shock and steering damper. Hoping to get this accomplished for under $1K
post #12 of 13 Old 05-10-2005, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Jaim...forks are flush so shouldn't be the issue.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-11-2005, 5:19 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock
Thanks...just got same recommendation to go with the GPR; friend of mine has one on his RC51 and said it works great. It sounds like I've got several items that I need to get for the bike. Has a Leo Vince full exhaust but I don't think there is a Power Commander on the bike (seems to run rich). Need forks re-built; rear shock and steering damper. Hoping to get this accomplished for under $1K

Ooooo, the rear shock will run you around $900 unless you can find a used one.
But it'll all be worth it!

You're not too far from some of us. There's some guys in the Allentown area, too. We should try to hook up for some riding this summer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page