Wheels barely spin - UPDATE fixed front but not rear - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-11-2005, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Wheels barely spin - UPDATE fixed front but not rear

thanks guys for all the input. while i'm new to this site, i've been a member with other boards and this is one of the best. no smart asses and good info. i belonged to the ducati index (748 & 900SP) before and that site was really bad and is now closed.

i went through both wheels after work today, couldn't wait, impetuous me.

starting w/the front, i took off the wheels, removed the bearing dust shields and used a vaneer caliper to measure the depth of both bearings. both bearings were seated evenly. the bearings turned nicely. i reassembled everything, removed excess grease on the spacers (which were in the correct position) and wiped the axle free of grease. sprayed some wd-40 on the axle and put it all together. guess what? yep, the wheel spun alot better and i'm pleased. maybe too much grease on the spacers and axle, who knows?

now the rear. did the same, bearings were seated evenly, spacers in their proper place and reassembled w/o the chain, as some poster mentioned. wheel spun really nice and long. BUT WHEN I PUT ON THE CHAIN, MAJOR PROBLEMS!

i got about 40-42 mm of slack in the chain and the adjusters are even on both sides. the wheel barely turns! the chain feels and sounds likes its grinding big time. the chain and sprockets are in good shape with 6200 miles on them. (before i removed the wheels to powdercoat, the wheel spun well with the same chain and sprockets.) i wiped the chain & chain guides & sprayed some wd-40 on the chain & guides to clean them and hopefully add some "sliperyness" to these items. the wheel turned slightly better but not by much.

if the chain has proper slack and is relatively even (no i didn't use the string alignment trick yet), what gives? why the resistance and grinding? i read in the haynes manual that the chain protector/guard at the end on the swingarm has proper wear arrows, which i didn't check yet, but the wheel used to spin just a few weeks ago b/4 the powdercoating. the driven sprocket is just along for the ride, so the driver must be the bad guy(?) man it feels as if the motor seized and it's affecting the driver sprocket. but the motor is not seized, as i rode it yesterday and yes, the bike is in neutral. (btw, the rubber cush drives are in good shape.)

as always, i'd appreciate any sound advice and input. going crazy here, this is not all that complicated!!

thanks,

todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-11-2005, 12:21 AM

Re: Wheels barely spin - UPDATE fixed front but not rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd
no smart asses
You haven't been around long enough.

Seriously, I'm glad you have at least half of your problems solved. Stick around and I'm sure someone will 'take care of your rear". Seriously!
post #3 of 7 Old 05-11-2005, 12:22 AM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot

Again, check the spacers... I belive the shouldered one is on the sprocket side.
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-11-2005, 12:26 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Is the chain straight? If you had the spacers reversed it would spin just fine but the offset would be wrong with the chain being cocked and binding

If you have a digital cam some pics might get someone an idea also.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #5 of 7 Old 05-11-2005, 1:40 AM

Reputation Power: 22

check and see if the tire is straight when you tighten it and make sure its not rubbing against the swingarm or anything else. try to pinpoint the griding noise, that will help troubleshoot alot
post #6 of 7 Old 05-11-2005, 8:08 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

You need to make sure the rear wheel is properly aligned. The alignment marks on the swingarm are NOT very accurate. Check the Knowledge Base here for abtech's method of measuring the axle spacer blocks for proper alignment. What condition is the chain in? If it's got kinks or is dirty and hasn't been lubed well, it may create enough drag/friction to also cause the problem.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #7 of 7 Old 05-11-2005, 9:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Have someone hold your clutch lever in while you spin the tire.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page