Problems with Computer/Clock on '02 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-20-2005, 5:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Problems with Computer/Clock on '02

Weird problem I can't seem to figure out. I have recently purchased a '02 CBR954RR and it runs great. I didn't have a manual with the bike and have it on order. But I had the flashing "1:00" and wanted to reset it. Well did a little web research and found out how to do that. The other thing I noted was that the trip mileage gauge for "A" and "B" was at zero miles. I initially thought there was some sensor that reset it at fuel-ups as I had just filled it up before starting the reset of the clock. So I thought well that is kinda neat. Head off for the work day and everything is ok. It keeps the time and mileage for the day. Only having about 2-5 hours between start-ups. But if I let the bike sit any longer it seems to lose those settings. I check the battery, it is good. I looked over the wiring and it is fine. I hit the key and she fires right up. I am at a lose for what could be the issue. Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-20-2005, 9:09 AM
Sponsor

Reputation Power: 21

Re: Problems with Computer/Clock on '02

You have a short somewhere causing the battery to reset. Just have to find where its coming from!! The clock and "A" and "B" trip meters dont reset unless you reset them by holding down the button on the speedo cluster. Good luck!

Last edited by SilverBullet; 05-20-2005 at 9:11 AM. Reason: adding
post #3 of 18 Old 05-20-2005, 12:54 PM

The positive battery terminal has a red rubber boot over it to insulate and prevent shorts. I've seen this missing on some used bikes. That's the most obvious place I'd check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-20-2005, 1:00 PM Thread Starter

Yep check all the wires and everything was in good condition. The insulators and wires are all good. The only thing of note I found is that there is a black connector with a green and red that isn't connected and I can't find a connector for that item. I did remove the license plate light assembly but I have sealed that connector off so to not cause any problems there.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-20-2005, 1:11 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzx7rr
Yep check all the wires and everything was in good condition. The insulators and wires are all good. The only thing of note I found is that there is a black connector with a green and red that isn't connected and I can't find a connector for that item. I did remove the license plate light assembly but I have sealed that connector off so to not cause any problems there.
Where is the connector with the green and red wires? I'm about to change the oil and replace the gear shifter on mine, so I will look to see what you are talking about.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-20-2005, 1:17 PM Thread Starter

It is right in the battery tray area. It is on the right side of the battery. I do know that my buddy had a radar detector on the bike. But I thought he told me he unwired that all assembly out of the bike before I bought it, but I haven't confirmed that he connected it directly to the batter. It comes right out of the harness that goes to the relay's under the right side of the bodywork. I will post up some pic in a while.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-20-2005, 7:47 PM Thread Starter

Update, sure enough I post something and it functions properly. LOL. I went out after doing the look-see last night around 22:00 and I just went out there to photograph the tray area and the dang clock/gaue was still correct. Just gotta love these things that do that to ya. LOL
post #8 of 18 Old 05-20-2005, 9:35 PM
Sponsor

Mine was the same way.....it did the same thing as yours for awhile, never figured out what was causing it.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-21-2005, 1:00 AM Thread Starter

I tell you if this is all the problems I have with mine then I will be happy. Just need a set of rear sets since I am dragging the pegs badly on the track. LOL Then she will be perfect.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-21-2005, 1:10 AM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

maybe when you were checking the wires you jiggled them enough to fix them.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #11 of 18 Old 05-21-2005, 1:18 AM Thread Starter

I thought the same thing actually. I took all the wiring connections apart except for the ones that connect the battery. I cleaned them up and firmly replaced them. I pulled the power block from the boot looking for that connector and checked all the fuses also. So that is truly what I hope has happened. But we will see. I went out tonight and did a little more fine tuning on the power commander mapping and still was there. So I was happy.

But thanks for all the suggestions and assistance everyone.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-20-2005, 4:20 PM

Sound's like you lucked out. I'm having a similar issue but it's causing me a big headache. The fuse for my fan/clock keeps breaking. I've checked all the connections for the cooling system and can't find the short. I thought the fan was failing but I checked it out and it's fine. Could it be the wire connection to the clock or display that's causing this?
post #13 of 18 Old 07-20-2005, 5:19 PM Thread Starter

Well my issues is still there but only if I mess with the wiring harness or do a really bad wheelie exiting the turn on the track and slam the front down. So I still have a short somewhere but for now it isn't a problem. Plus the fact that I don't want to tear apart the harness to find it. LOL
post #14 of 18 Old 07-21-2005, 9:50 AM

I think I found the problem. There's a short between my digital display and the fuse box. I downloaded the wiring schematic of the net and found that the connections between the fuse box and the display is a straight one. I tested the current and sure enough nothing. Now all I have to find the exact spot of the short. That's the hard part. Although, the fuse didn't break last night. Maybe I fixed by fiddling with the wires.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-21-2005, 3:25 PM

Did you ever find out about that mysterious open connector?
I've got the same one I think.
Never could figure out what it was for.
A black 3 pin (I think) flat connector right nect tot he fuse box.
Been open since the day I've had it. ??????

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page