Tires - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 05-23-2005, 3:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Tires

The Pirelli Diablo Corsas are coming to the end of their life on my 1000RR. This time round I'm going with the same tire as I won't be changing the front but what are the opinions out there on an alternative for track/road use. Well no track use but fast road riding with no speed limits.

Also, has anyone tried riding with a 180?

ST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-23-2005, 5:09 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Re: Tires

Lots of folks have used the 180 as it gives faster turn-in. I haven't tried it yet. For the type of riding you describe, the Diablo Corsa is excellent, as you know. Other options would be Michelin's new Pilot Powers. Bridgestone makes some good tires, too. I haven't been keeping up with their latest...something like BT014 now? A cheaper alternative is the Metzeler Sportecs M1. If you search, you'll find a ton more suggestions, I'm sure.
post #3 of 21 Old 05-23-2005, 5:57 AM

I would stay with the Pirelli Diablo Corsas if I were you. Pirelli seems to be making the baddest tire for the baddest habbits of street riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 05-23-2005, 7:29 AM

I just put a 180 Pilot Power on my 929, and I like it. It does give the bike a different feel. It pretty much falls into the corners now.
post #5 of 21 Old 05-23-2005, 8:10 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

I also have a 1000RR and didn't change the front when I did the back. I went to a plain Diablo to see the difference. So far the grip is a little less and the jury is still out on mileage. I would however recommend you go ahead and do the front. Mine needed it in another 1K anyway and have matching fresh skin would be worth the small loss of miles on the front. (Unless you really spin the backup on turn exit you should be similar)

Must obey the sheep dog
post #6 of 21 Old 05-23-2005, 9:58 AM Thread Starter

cool, i'm looking for grip, couldn't care less about the mileage!

The old CBR600RR used to come with the Mich pilot sport which is a cool tire.

Any more advice out there on the 180s? Going from 600RR to 1000RR there is a big difference in turn in, I thought because of a heavier bike and damper but am wondering how much difference the 180 would make. Downside?

Also might be because the guy who owned the bike before me seemed to have done 1500km in a straight line from what I can tell.

Anyone had ago at these new dual compound jobs?

ST
post #7 of 21 Old 05-23-2005, 3:28 PM

I have had a set of the PilotPowers. The front tire didnt have enough edge. I would run out of tire when in a turn, so it basicly would limit my lean angle. The rear tire had plenty of edge for the corners though. The center coupound was to hard. May help get some extra miles out of the rear tire, but the front would wear just like a regular tire (because the front doesnt wear fast in the center anyway, usually). Also because of the hard compound the tire would spin when going WOT sometimes, and would lock up when braking a little easier. But the softer outter compound is sticky enough for the corners. I must say I like the idea of a multicompound tire. But I didnt like the PP's. I would ride a PP rear tire just cause it did stick enough, but I would stay away from any PP front tires.
post #8 of 21 Old 05-24-2005, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious
I have had a set of the PilotPowers. The front tire didnt have enough edge. I would run out of tire when in a turn, so it basicly would limit my lean angle. The rear tire had plenty of edge for the corners though. The center coupound was to hard. May help get some extra miles out of the rear tire, but the front would wear just like a regular tire (because the front doesnt wear fast in the center anyway, usually). Also because of the hard compound the tire would spin when going WOT sometimes, and would lock up when braking a little easier. But the softer outter compound is sticky enough for the corners. I must say I like the idea of a multicompound tire. But I didnt like the PP's. I would ride a PP rear tire just cause it did stick enough, but I would stay away from any PP front tires.
A) The Pilot Power is not a multi-compound tire - only the Power Race is.
B) If you are running out of tire leaned over, you are most likely running too high a tire pressure, and/or not getting off the bike enough.
C) Get your suspension set up properly if you have not already done so - make sure your suspension geometry is right before you start blaming the tires.
D) You can get any tire to break loose on a high-hp litre bike. Learn better throttle control.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-24-2005, 6:24 PM

Reputation Power: 25

What is happening up front for you? It is sliding around at max lean?
post #10 of 21 Old 05-24-2005, 6:27 PM Thread Starter

yeah i didn't read that properly either, i can't imagine running out of tire on the front but having plenty left on the rear.
post #11 of 21 Old 05-24-2005, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K41KRR
A) The Pilot Power is not a multi-compound tire - only the Power Race is.
B) If you are running out of tire leaned over, you are most likely running too high a tire pressure, and/or not getting off the bike enough.
C) Get your suspension set up properly if you have not already done so - make sure your suspension geometry is right before you start blaming the tires.
D) You can get any tire to break loose on a high-hp litre bike. Learn better throttle control.
I think you just put your foot in your mouth, or am trying to start some verbal battle.
1)The PP's are a dual compound tire, atleast I read somewhere they were. And the edge of the tire does heat up differntly than the center.
2)Dont have any problems with running out of tread on Pirelli's
3)My suspension is set up properly
4)The PP would spin while I was in a straight away. While other tires seem to hook up.
5)

Your blame shifting arguement will only sound convincing to the squidly
post #12 of 21 Old 05-26-2005, 2:33 PM

I'm not here to start a verbal battle with you. Sorry if my post sounded a bit harsh. You can choose to take my advice, or ignore it.

Fact is, the regular Pilot Power is not a dual compound tire. The new Power Race is actually the first dual-compound tire homologated for road use.

I also find it hard to believe that you find the PPs 'hard'. They are 6% softer than any other tire in their segment, and are grooved over less than 12% of their surface area. There is plenty of nice sticky rubber available to hook up if you are not hamfisted with the throttle. Are you using tire warmers, or giving the tires time to warm up? (if you are comparing these to non-DOT, track-only rubber, that's a different discussion altogether - I'm discussing street tires for the original poster)

Your suspension may been set correctly for the Pirellis, but did you change it to compensate for the different tire profile of the Michelins? If not, that's possibly why you are running into problems.

Before you go around calling people squids, maybe you should realize that some people are willing to help, and accept that maybe you don't know everything. I know I certainly don't.

I've seen guys practically scrape their blinkers off, running the regular Pilot Powers, and they seem to have plenty of rubber left on the edges up front.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-26-2005, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoultrain
Any more advice out there on the 180s? Going from 600RR to 1000RR there is a big difference in turn in, I thought because of a heavier bike and damper but am wondering how much difference the 180 would make. Downside?
There's a huge difference. I switched to a 180/55 after wearing down the stock rubber, and now it turns like the 600RR, with a lot of extra power. The thing steered like a dumptruck with the 190/50.

For track use, I've heard great things about the new 190/55 profile as well, but haven't tried a set myself yet.
post #14 of 21 Old 05-26-2005, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious
If you look at the shape of the front versus the rear tire, you will see that physics demands that the rear run out of contact patch before the front.

Pilot Powers offer the highest lean angle of any street tire. (check with Michelin, I believe its 55 deg.)

Pilot Powers are not multi-compound. Power Race's are.

If your locking up the rear tire on a regular basis you may want to learn how to use the front brakes and/or check your pressures.

What pressure do you run anyway ?

Last edited by motojedi; 05-26-2005 at 4:01 PM.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-27-2005, 12:19 AM

depends on ambient temp and where i'm riding. But 100psi approximately.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page