Fuel delivery in warm weather - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-27-2005, 1:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Fuel delivery in warm weather

Okay, so it is getting pretty warm here in Southern California. I had my custom
PC map made in cooler weather. I know I need to adjust my PC to compensate for the thinner warm air. Should I lean out or enrichen my fuel input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-27-2005, 2:58 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Fuel delivery in warm weather

The Intake Air Temp sensor will take care of that. I wouldnt mess with it
post #3 of 12 Old 05-27-2005, 4:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
The Intake Air Temp sensor will take care of that. I wouldnt mess with it
Does the Intake Air Temp sensor still do its thing with a powercommander
in place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-27-2005, 10:13 AM

Yup. The pc3 just interups and modifys the signal between the ecu and injectors. The ecu is still taking into account data from the MAP, IAC, TPS, and water temp sensor.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-28-2005, 1:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yup. The pc3 just interups and modifys the signal between the ecu and injectors. The ecu is still taking into account data from the MAP, IAC, TPS, and water temp sensor.
Cool. So what do you racers do when the weather gets very warm. Just get a new custom map? I would imagine a new map would either be leaner or richer. Which would it be?
post #6 of 12 Old 05-28-2005, 2:05 AM

On a carbed bike where you have to make the adjustments, you lean out the fuel as the air temp rises. Also as the humidity rises. Also as the altitude rises. Basicaly anything that makes for "less air", you need less fuel. Thats the beauty of EFI, while it lookes like a pain in the ass, it is able to measure, and compensate for alot of factors. Something a carbed bike cant do without physicaly installing different needles, slides, and jets. Some carbed bikes used to have a high altitude lever or button, looked like a choke, but it did the opposite.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-28-2005, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaim
Cool. So what do you racers do when the weather gets very warm. Just get a new custom map? I would imagine a new map would either be leaner or richer. Which would it be?
On an efi bike, you dont do anything. If its within the EFI's perameters, it will compensate by its self. Even if you have a pc3. Dont think a PC3 as a fixed map that never changes. It just modifies the ever changing (based on the various sensors) signal the ecu send to the injectors. Injectors are basicaly a valve that opens when you put electricity to it, and closes under spring pressure when you take the electricity away. EFI bike adjust "lean" or "Rich" by simply giving the injector electricity for a longer or shorter time period. Example if say the ecu is telling the injectors to be open for say (pulling numbers out my ass here) 20 milisconds, the pc3 basicaly says "take that number and add 5 to it", So even if one of the sensors tell the ecu to change it, to lets say 30 miliseconds, the pc3 is still going to just add 5 to it. Changing PC3 maps changes the amount it adds(richen it up) or subtracts(lean it out) to that signal. Does any of that make sense Its getting late

Last edited by G-Force Junkie; 05-28-2005 at 2:14 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-29-2005, 5:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
On an efi bike, you dont do anything. If its within the EFI's perameters, it will compensate by its self. Even if you have a pc3. Dont think a PC3 as a fixed map that never changes. It just modifies the ever changing (based on the various sensors) signal the ecu send to the injectors. Injectors are basicaly a valve that opens when you put electricity to it, and closes under spring pressure when you take the electricity away. EFI bike adjust "lean" or "Rich" by simply giving the injector electricity for a longer or shorter time period. Example if say the ecu is telling the injectors to be open for say (pulling numbers out my ass here) 20 milisconds, the pc3 basicaly says "take that number and add 5 to it", So even if one of the sensors tell the ecu to change it, to lets say 30 miliseconds, the pc3 is still going to just add 5 to it. Changing PC3 maps changes the amount it adds(richen it up) or subtracts(lean it out) to that signal. Does any of that make sense Its getting late
Yep, that makes sense. So, the map I currently have for my PCIII is for cooler weather and pretty rich. You are saying I really don't need to do anything since the bike's sensors will want to compensate. But I have a PCIII map that is trying to dump a bunch of fuel into the bike. The bike sensors will force the ECU+PCIII to dump less fuel but I will still be dumping in more fuel than if I didn't have the PCIII in the first place.

Now, I am noticing some power loss on hot days, as expected. You are saying to not do anything. But since I am experiencing some power loss and want to try to get some of the power back should I lean out my PCIII map to try and compensate?
post #9 of 12 Old 05-29-2005, 1:32 PM

If the map is too rich to start with, its always going to be rich. All bikes loose power as it get hotter, there is simply less air to burn. But if your map is not optimised from the start, its always going to be off. Who did it an where, Louie at L&L?
post #10 of 12 Old 05-30-2005, 1:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If the map is too rich to start with, its always going to be rich. All bikes loose power as it get hotter, there is simply less air to burn. But if your map is not optimised from the start, its always going to be off. Who did it an where, Louie at L&L?
Yep, Louie did my map.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-30-2005, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaim
Yep, Louie did my map.
He does good work
post #12 of 12 Old 06-01-2005, 2:01 AM Thread Starter

He sure does. Was at Big Willow this last Monday and the bike pulled like a train. Temp at track was probably 90 F. max. The day the power seemed to be down it was 100 F or more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page