HELP!!! HEAT issues with '01 929 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-01-2005, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

HELP!!! HEAT issues with '01 929

OK, Folks... I'm hoping you guys can help me out with this annoying issue. I'll try to supply as much info as I can/have. Please give me ALL feedback, cause at this point in time, I'm stumped. Here goes...

I (obviously) have an issue with my 01 929, pseudo "overheating". I began noticing my temp gauge jumping around erratically. It would normally run around 82 degrees C (179 F) on the open highway, 70 degree F ambient temp. For some reason, after running for awhile, it will climb to beyond 95 degrees C (203 F), while running at 65 MPH, in 75 degrees. Once there, it seems to go nuts! The temp gauge can read 110 + degrees C, up to about 132 degrees C (269 F).

What I've learned:

1: When its acting erratic, the fan doesn't seem to turn on until the temp gauge reads 125 degrees C or more.

2: The bike doesn't "feel" as hot as the temp gauge is reporting.

3: The temperature seems to "jump" around, going from 123, to 115, to 111, to 118, all in a matter of 5 to 6 seconds.

What I've tried:

First, I tried replacing the thermostat. I figure it was sticking. Had the work performed by the dealer (cha-ching!). Problem remains.

Next, I tried replacing the temperature sensors (2). (cha-CHING!) Problem remains.

The fluid has been changed twice (once with each of the above services), and the levels are good. I'm kinda stumped here, guys. i say kinda, because I have an idea, but its more expensive than the other two (combined), and I'm tired of guessing with my wallet. Has anyone seen this behaviour, before? Any ideas, at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-01-2005, 10:57 AM
dB

Re: HELP!!! HEAT issues with '01 929

If I were in your shoes, my next step would be to check all wiring and connectors associated with the sensors and gauge. Possibly a bad ground or loose connection somewhere.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-01-2005, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Now THATS something I didn't think of (...and its FREE)! Thanks, dB. I'll take a look at that tonight. Any other thoughts...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-01-2005, 11:11 AM
dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CbrRydah
Any other thoughts...?
No, that pretty much taps me out for now. Doesn't sound like you have an actual over-heating problem though, just a bad measurement.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-01-2005, 1:00 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

although I don't think the fan relay will affect the guage check the wires to it (125C is a bit high for the fan to come on isn't it? should be around 102C, 217F)

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-01-2005, 2:15 PM Thread Starter

I checked that, and you're right. That is a bit high, for the fan to come on. I think the fan comes at the right temp. I believe the gauges are just reading the temp wrong. I wish I had an extra gauge cluster, so I could check it against a known-good unit. Honda wants $600.00 for the unit, and after paying nearly $500.00 for the aforementioned repairs, I'd rather see a red-light on the dash, than pay that kind of money to "maybe" fix the problem. I've been calling around to salvage yards, and there are 2 on ebay, that I'm watching, so if the the connector isn't loose (thanks again, dB), and the contacts aren't dirty, i think I'll grab one of those, and see if there is a difference. If anyone has ANY other suggestions, really, I'd love to hear'em.
-Dane

Last edited by CbrRydah; 06-01-2005 at 2:16 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-01-2005, 9:31 PM

As a real cheap fix, is there a way to "short" the sensor and force the fan to just stay on while the bike is running? Anything "bad" about doing that?
post #8 of 10 Old 06-05-2005, 3:57 PM

Ok you said you replaced the Temp Sensors...is there a fan sensor switch? I dont have a wire diagram but Im guessing theres a sensor just for the fan ...plus more than one temp sensor...I would follow the fan wires to the rad (sensor) ..and remove them ...fire up the bike ..wait until 100 C and touch the wires together and the fan should come on ...leave it on until the temp begins to drop...

Last edited by BCMODCHIP; 06-05-2005 at 4:08 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-06-2005, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

As weird as it sounds, I don't think the problem is temperature related. I think the problem is the gauge, itself. I started to check the ground at the connector, but to get to the back of the unit requires removal of the front cowl, which requires removal of the middle fairings, which requires... so I will perform this task during the course of this week. I did, however, find a simple test which should be sufficient for confirming or denying my suspicions. After checking the grounds (connector on the back), I will detach the coolant temp sensor and place it in a pot of heated water. Inserting a thermometer in the pot will tell me exactly what the temperature of the water is. If, at that time (and, as I suspect) the temperature gauge jumps around, while being exposed to a constant temperature, OR if it reads the temp incorrectly, it must either be the sensor (which was just replaced) or the gauge, itself. If it is the gauge, at this point, I'll just ignore it, rather than spend 600.00 on a new one (If I can't get the one on ebay.). It is also possible that the "tech" damaged the sensor, when replacing it. A new sensor is only 40.00 or so, so I can change that out, just to eliminate all variables. The last combo gauge on ebay is damged (broken mounting tabs), but if it works (??), I could swap out the electronics, and place it back in my unit's case. I just don't want to pay a huge amount for a gamble, so I just may end up ignoring it, rather than guessing with money.

Last edited by CbrRydah; 06-06-2005 at 11:59 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-12-2005, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Where is the DUHHHHHHHH, Stupid Icon? I figured it out, and it only took me a little over half a season! While researching another problem (fuses blowing) I noticed turn-signal wires (pos and gnd) touching, and shorting out. I corrected this, and PRESTO!!!! Correct temp readings. I'm no automotive engineer, but I'm guessing the voltage was feeding through the harness somehow, and throwing my readings off for the temp sensor. I've run it like this for a month now (including some of the hottest days in August) just to make sure. The demons have been excorsized!! This bike is CLEEEEEAAAAAN!!! (sorry, I watch too many movies).

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page