front brakes dragging bad? help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-04-2005, 2:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Send a message via AIM to int76 Send a message via Yahoo to int76
front brakes dragging bad? help

can not see or figure out the problem, my front brakes drag really bad front rim will make about 2 turns when pused with my hand then stop. calipers are mounted correctly and i have the mushroom style spacer on the clutch lever side and the regular spacer on the throttle side. if anybody has any suggestions, i was thinking of rebuilding the calipers but not sure if that would solve the problem.

thanks
justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-04-2005, 6:15 AM

Reputation Power: 32

Re: front brakes dragging bad? help

What did you do prior to finding this out? Change the brake pads? Remove and reinstall the front wheel? That actually sounds pretty normal to me, mine only spins about that much until I've gotten a few thousand miles on my brake pads.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-04-2005, 9:04 AM

Rebuilding the calipers should fix the problem, but you may not have to go that far. If you remove the calipers, one at a time, and very gently squeeze the lever to push the pistons out just a little, you can clean the crud around the pistons. This will allow the pistons to properly retract after braking, which isn't happening at the moment, as you noticed by the drag. Then just push the pistons back in enough to get them back on the bike.

If the crud has already been pushed into the seals (maybe when changing tires, or something) then you will need to take apart the calipers and rebuild, but it isn't difficult at all. Just get new seals to install and they'll be just like new again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-08-2005, 6:07 AM

Lube the pistons on/in the calipers... They might be sticking. Even if they are clean they can still stick.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-19-2005, 9:21 PM

This used to happen to me when I changed the wheel. Now before I bolt the calipers back on, I carefully spread the pads with a wide blade screwdriver, pushing back the pistons at each end. Then when you bolt them back on, work the brake lever to center the pads on the disk. Then the pads will be aligned and now your wheel should spin freely.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-14-2005, 4:44 PM

I had the same problem and fixed by...
loosening the axle bolt and pinch bolts on the right fork tube
bouncing the forks a few times to allow things to square up
tighten the pinch bolts on the right fork tube
then tighten the axle bolt

Pay attention to not crank down on it too hard, you will see the right fork leg actually deflect inwards if you do.
That bit of deflection is what is causing the wheel to drag and I'm sure causing big time stiction in the forks as well.

Good luck
post #7 of 10 Old 10-05-2005, 5:48 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by int76
can not see or figure out the problem, my front brakes drag really bad front rim will make about 2 turns when pused with my hand then stop. calipers are mounted correctly and i have the mushroom style spacer on the clutch lever side and the regular spacer on the throttle side. if anybody has any suggestions, i was thinking of rebuilding the calipers but not sure if that would solve the problem.

thanks
justin
I was rereading this and noticed how you said you have the front wheel spacers. You have them on the wrong side. The flanged spacer should be in the right side of the wheel (as sitting on the bike) and the straight spacer should be on the left side (clutch side).

As far as front brakes dragging. I have the same issue. Have had since the bike was new. I plan on rebuilding the calipers this winter.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Fig

I had a bad case of drag on the front, but it turns out my rotor was bent. You haven't taken off with a disc lock on have you. That did mine in. Bought a flexible cord to remind me. Much cheaper than a rotor.
Fig
post #9 of 10 Old 11-01-2005, 9:26 AM

Mine is dragging a lot too, since having new pads installed at the dealer. They told me it's normal for a while. I think it's close to 3k miles. How do racers deal with it? It has to affect acceleration...
post #10 of 10 Old 11-01-2005, 1:23 PM

Normal

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page