Noise - Resonance - Vibration - Help?! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-02-2005, 3:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Noise - Resonance - Vibration - Help?!

What up All
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I am experiencing an interesting, and totally annoying, situation with my 00’ 929.
<o:p></o:p>
I hope someone can help before I get rid of… what everyone insists so far, is a great bike (I am an ex-VFR pilot… wanted a bit more sport than touring).
Anyway… here is the setup:
  • 13.8 miles now, second owner and I put around 1500 miles on it so far.
  • Two-Bros Carbon Slip-On.
  • Scotts steering-dampner.
  • New set of Sportec M1s
  • I have the bar end-weights on now; I just noticed the photo does not have them.
  • Rest of bike is stock.
Right between 5K and 5.5K RPM I hear a very loud… “rattle, resonance” type of noise… before about 4.9K and after about 5.6K it sounds fine. Sounds like a cam-chain or its tensioner (my first 4-stroke street bike was a CB550 back in the day… all you heard was Kerker exhaust and cam chain noises!).
As you all know this is pretty much the cruising RPM for this bike… where most of us street riders spend their time (around 72-72MPH on freeway).
I found the following article… https://fireblades.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7250, it does not seem to apply to my setup though… unless I am looking at it all wrong. I attached a photo of the bike… you can see the neck and type of dampner.
The Honda dealer (Concord Motorsports, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Concord</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">CA</st1:State></st1:place>) said it made the sound with the gas tank off as well. I did not see this myself… I pretty much trust them as they are usually cool, solid and did not charge me anyways (they claimed almost 3.0 hours).
The tech himself said the engine is fine, strong and good compression… he would just ride the bike; he thinks it might be a simple resonance coming from some odd combination of things and harmless.
I am going to take it for a second opinion before I do anything further (like get that PCIII right away to smooth out that jerky throttle; and a nice paint job!)… I was hoping this post might get a solution, or at least some good feedback, too. Thanks in advance .ORG members.

Please forgive if this is the wrong area to post this issue.
Take care all. -J-
Attached Thumbnails
07-22-05_2004.jpg‎   07-24-05_1342.jpg‎  

Last edited by jlsystems; 09-02-2005 at 3:35 AM. Reason: Found pics - uploading them now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-02-2005, 3:26 AM

Re: Noise - Resonance - Vibration - Help?!

It makes it standing still as well? I have on occation gotten weird vibrations/harmonics out for the front fairing and windshield area. Very dependent on the road surface and engine RPM so it doesnt happen all the time. Try grabbing ahold of stuff when it is making the noises.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-02-2005, 3:33 AM Thread Starter

RE:

Yes; it makes the noise standing still as well. Two techs held the bike down all over... used a Dr's scope to listen as well; I was amazed they could find nothing. I am getting a second opinion... while I stand there (this tech is cool wit it).

Thanks... I should have mentioned this at first. -J-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-02-2005, 4:02 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Could it be the exhaust valve. I understand they can get noisy.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-07-2005, 4:49 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I haven't had the problem you're describing, but I've had the windshield fairing vibration. That's more like a "buzzing" though, as opposed to any kind of metallic rattling or anything mechanical sounding.

So my post is not helpful to you and I'm sorry. But I did want to say two things:

1) Why do you want to paint the bike? I like the yellow ones, there aren't enough of them around...

2) If you decide to get rid of it, let me know if you want to sell the Scotts damper separately, and maybe I'll take it off your hands.

--- D
post #6 of 7 Old 09-07-2005, 4:51 PM

Exhaust valve.

post #7 of 7 Old 09-08-2005, 2:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks All...

Thanks All

I sold the bike anyway as I wanted an upgrade to a 954 or even a 929 with mods pre-installed installed (and no track time!)... found two nice ones I am going to check out tomorrow. Thanks again for all the responses and ideas. -James-

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page