First Chain Replacement - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-02-2005, 5:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

First Chain Replacement

Hi all, I am thinking of changing the chain and sprockets on my 929. I have never done this before but I'm just going to follow the manual. Does anyone have any tips? also is it a very difficult job and should i leave it to a mechanic? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-02-2005, 7:28 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Re: First Chain Replacement

1.don't use a master link, use the rivet tool to put the chain link on at the end. It's a lot more safer.
2. keep the old chain and measure the new chain with it before you're ready to cut. it could be an expensive mistake.
3. get an X ring chain.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-06-2005, 8:14 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: First Chain Replacement

The key to doing it yourself is the "right tool(s)". Plan on buying a proper tool like one from "motion pro" or "RK". The second thing to do is replace your countershaft cog and rear sprocket at the same time. Count the number of links on the old chain and order the length with your preference of X or O ring. Yes, do use a "rivet link" which is another reason to buy the correct tool. The Honda manual does have one important piece of information, the "diameter" and height of the rivet link
after you smash it down without getting the master link tooo tight. And oh by the way, make sure that when you are threading the new chain around the new countershaft cog, that you don't get too agressive. New chains tend to want to ride over the cog (gear) and there is very little space between the gear and the expensive engine case if this happens---make sure that you have the master link/rivet installed and make sure that you hand turn the rear tire and watch the chain and gear mesh properly before you put the front gear cover on.
Sugoi8

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page