suspension or riding technique? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 09-04-2005, 7:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

suspension or riding technique?

Today while on a ride, I had a little scare with my back tire. I was rolling into a curve and as I setup my line I downshifted to slow and felt like the back tire skipped a little as I entered the curve. I really use my engine for speed control rather than my breaks... so my question to the forum is this... Could this be my suspension or my technique?

I read a post by Sheep indicating a change in the suspesion of his 1000RR. On the front, I've set my preload to 14 rather than the factory 7, the front rebound damping to 1 rather than factory 2, and the compression damping to 1 rather than factory 2. This hardens the front end. I'm going to shift my rear preload to 8, rebound damping to 1.5, and compression damping to 6.

The suspension game seems like a science I just don't understand. After reading a bit it seems that aggressive riding favors a more stiff setup but if I had a little wheel slide/shimmy/something was it already too hard? eesh...

any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-04-2005, 8:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Re: suspension or riding technique?

If you downshift going into a curve in such a way that the rear end chirps, the problem has nothing to do with suspension.

Suggestions: Practice (in a straight line, on a lonely road !) downshifting smoothly, raising the rpms to match the engine speed to the road speed in the lower gear.

Also, try to get all of your set-up done ( braking, downshifting, shifting weight, thinking about other stuff) before you turn in.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-04-2005, 8:50 PM
Administrator

Reputation Power: 47

Sounds more like technique to me. Depending on your timing, it's pretty easy to make the tire chirp...

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 09-04-2005, 8:58 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRVFR
If you downshift going into a curve in such a way that the rear end chirps, the problem has nothing to do with suspension.

Suggestions: Practice (in a straight line, on a lonely road !) downshifting smoothly, raising the rpms to match the engine speed to the road speed in the lower gear.

Also, try to get all of your set-up done ( braking, downshifting, shifting weight, thinking about other stuff) before you turn in.
What dave said...

What you are feeling is excessive engine braking locking the rear end. If you get back on the throttle and match RPMs as suggested you will prevent that from happening.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #5 of 19 Old 09-04-2005, 9:09 PM

Sounds like a little chatter to me. Get your down shifting/braking done before you enter the corner. Also listen to everyone else on blipping the throttle.
post #6 of 19 Old 09-04-2005, 9:59 PM

The bike has two big rotors out front for a reason. Using your engine to brake is putting unnecessary extra wear on it.
post #7 of 19 Old 09-04-2005, 11:52 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Hey Lay3r3,

I wouldn't panic too much, my rear tyre gets a bit excited on entering a corner if I'm on the brakes and drop it down a cog too - even though I blip the throttle to match the engine revs to ground speed, sometimes if its a sudden down-change the back end of my 929 can get a bit loose and weave around momentarily.

...but I know it's my fault and nothing to do with suspension set-up - I just take a deep breath and make sure I do it smoother at the next corner.

Cheers, Spanky.
post #8 of 19 Old 09-05-2005, 11:36 PM

ok same type of question only a little different. what if the rear end sways from downshifiting at high speeds sort of like a flowing motion back and forth? technique or suspension or just the power of downshifting from hish speed?
post #9 of 19 Old 09-06-2005, 12:36 AM

Hi xxshawnxx,

that's the sort of thing I'm talking about - I've never heard my rear tyre chirrup, more felt it weave/sway about a bit straight after I let the clutch out when dropping it down a gear on the way into a corner...

It's just one of those things - if you're cranked over pushing the bike into a corner on the brakes, and drop down a gear (and make the revs jump up high enough), from time to time the rear tyre will struggle to retain it's hold on the road and start to slide around a little - not to be encouraged, but not a massive problem either...

This is what they developed slipper clutches for, they deal with this problem by limiting the initial bite (or back torque) of engine braking...just a shame the 929 didn't come with one .

Cheers, Spanky.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-06-2005, 2:21 PM

spanky so you are saying that the swaying can be elimnated by the slipper clutch? how much would a slipper cost?

ive
post #11 of 19 Old 09-06-2005, 2:21 PM

spanky so you are saying that the swaying can be elimnated by the slipper clutch? how much would a slipper cost?

ive never experienced actual tire chirrping just a lot of swaying
post #12 of 19 Old 09-06-2005, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxshawnxx
Hi xxshawnxx,

I reckon the slipper would certainly help, but if you tried hard enough I think you'd probably still have problems...I don't know what a slipper clutch is worth, or even if there is a unit available for a 929 (there probably is somewhere) but I'm sure it'd be expensive Better to work on the down-shifting technique and avoid the problem from the get-go.

What is the situation you're in when you experience the swaying ? - is it similar to what I described or does it happen at a different time - like when you're upright (and braking ?) before leaning into a corner ?

I guess, if you haven't done it already, you might want to check your suspension sag front and back to make sure the bike is set-up and balanced for you - if you've got too much weight on the front (and therefore not enough on the rear) because of excessive sag up front then the back-end will be pretty light under braking and likely to misbehave when provoked (like when you dump it down a gear leaned over entering a corner )...I know this is my problem because my financial controller (read : Wife) wont give me the money for a fork spring upgrade !

Cheers Spanky.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-09-2005, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Hi xxshawnxx,

I What is the situation you're in when you experience the swaying ? - is it similar to what I described or does it happen at a different time - like when you're upright (and braking ?) before leaning into a corner ?

I guess, if you haven't done it already, you might want to check your suspension sag front and back to make sure the bike is set-up and balanced for you - if you've got too much weight on the front (and therefore not enough on the rear) because of excessive sag up front then the back-end will be pretty light under braking and likely to misbehave when provoked (like when you dump it down a gear leaned over entering a corner )...I know this is my problem because my financial controller (read : Wife) wont give me the money for a fork spring upgrade !

Cheers Spanky.
+1.....too soft front tends to cause the back end to wallow side to side under heavy braking.
post #14 of 19 Old 09-09-2005, 4:38 PM

It's you. I use to do that because I wasn't blipp'n or rev'n it high enough. Too slow of rebound on the shock will effect the rear under hard braking...but being smooth will solve 90% of most problems.

Something to think about is using the front brakes...If you never brake hard you're not really getting all the heat in the front tire you can. I see this on twins where people 'engine brake'. they bitch about the front sliding/pushing. When they start braking correctly they get more heat in the front, therefore more grip...sliding/pushing stops.
post #15 of 19 Old 09-09-2005, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02FBlade
It's you. I use to do that because I wasn't blipp'n or rev'n it high enough. Too slow of rebound on the shock will effect the rear under hard braking...but being smooth will solve 90% of most problems.

Something to think about is using the front brakes...If you never brake hard you're not really getting all the heat in the front tire you can. I see this on twins where people 'engine brake'. they bitch about the front sliding/pushing. When they start braking correctly they get more heat in the front, therefore more grip...sliding/pushing stops.
Good comments! Engine braking is for cruisers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page