Thoughts after spring, fluid, bushing, etc.. change - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-08-2005, 9:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Thoughts after spring, fluid, bushing, etc.. change

Finished the the right side fork after getting my oil seal driver tool finally from Ron Ayers and it worked like butter. Filled fluid to 106mm from top with fork collapsed, spring out, dampening rod not extended. I've read that you should have the dampening rod extended but it says nothing of it in the manual. It does change the fluid level by around 10mm with it extended but figured either way I should be in range. I used around 16oz of Honda 7.5wt fluid each fork. Instead of trying to compress the new racetech .95 springs to screw the cap on, I just pulled the outer tube up, like I read someone else had done that posted a while back. Seems to me as though the fork is slightly heavier (makes sense with heavier springs) and when compressing the fork it makes a sliding sound as the springs compresses which I never noticed with the stock springs. So far so good though, I'll finish them up in the morning and put the rest of the bike back together because I used this as an opportunity to give her a good cleaning after she sat for months while I was in Afghanistan. Looking for any feedback where I may have dicked-up before I find out I F-up and it's too late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-09-2005, 11:22 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Thoughts after spring, fluid, bushing, etc.. change

With .95's you should be at 115 mm from top according to racetech. 106mm will net you a loss of travel

Do you know exactly how much fluid you used in each tube...OZ.'S

I just changed my bushings seals fluid but didn't want to disassemble the damping rods to get the springs out to measure the fluid. Honda puts about 12.5 OZ of fluid in as stock. Can anyone confirm this??

I have the same springs you do so I was looking for an OZ measurement so when I change the fluid annually I dont have to mess with the rods....just dump and replace.

Last edited by fst929; 09-09-2005 at 11:35 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-09-2005, 1:45 PM Thread Starter

I used two bottles of Honda 7.5 wt 16oz each and used all of them. So there you go, and that got me to 106mm from top.

The manual says to fill with 16.5 oz with stock internals.

Only thing I'm pissed about now after taking for a test ride is that I'm getting a sliding sound when compressing the right fork and the left fork still leaks a little. I'm going to run it as is until the winter then tear it down and dial everything in better by replacing the seals and fluid again and getting the fluid level exactly where I want it.

THe front end feels a whole lot stiffer and more planted with the new springs and fluid. If it wasn't for the above mentioned issues I'd be leaping for joy.

You should have to disassemble the dampener rod to get the springs out. Just pull off the top cap, the washer the spring preload adjuster rides on, and the plastic spacer then you can pull the spring out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-09-2005, 1:48 PM Thread Starter

I meant to say you shouldn't have to disassemble the dampener rod. My Mac laptop won't let me use the edit button for some reason.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-09-2005, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockets25
I used two bottles of Honda 7.5 wt 16oz each and used all of them. So there you go, and that got me to 106mm from top.

The manual says to fill with 16.5 oz with stock internals.

Only thing I'm pissed about now after taking for a test ride is that I'm getting a sliding sound when compressing the right fork and the left fork still leaks a little. I'm going to run it as is until the winter then tear it down and dial everything in better by replacing the seals and fluid again and getting the fluid level exactly where I want it.

THe front end feels a whole lot stiffer and more planted with the new springs and fluid. If it wasn't for the above mentioned issues I'd be leaping for joy.

You should have to disassemble the dampener rod to get the springs out. Just pull off the top cap, the washer the spring preload adjuster rides on, and the plastic spacer then you can pull the spring out.

The noise you hear may be air bubbles in the valves ?? or not assembled correctly washer/bushing in the wrong place?...and everytime I change seals...they leak briefly for a day untill they bed in

I have several washers on top of my springs to add a little preload from the start. I have to compress to re-assemble them and its a pain in the arse without the right tools.

The race tech springs are a little bigger than stock so they take a little less oil. The 7.5 weight works great BTW.

Thanks for the information!!!!!!
post #6 of 10 Old 09-09-2005, 9:21 PM Thread Starter

Well, the sliding sound seems to have went away and after putting about 100 miles on the left fork no longer leaks

Like I mentioned, when I put the top cap back on I raised the outer tube to the cap and screwed it rather than compressing the spring. I can't see what it could possibly harm, it just make sense to do it that way.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-13-2005, 9:32 AM

did a little experiment this weekend...went with 16 oz of fluid rather than measuring the 115 mm and they are way overfilled. The front rides about an inch higher in the front...and after taking it out for a back road thrashing, it was bucking like a bull!!, it was a brick, and the seals were seeping!

I drained about an OZ from each tube and it was a LITTLE better. I will be getting it back on track by measuring the 115mm and keeping track of the volume for reference.

We have the same setup so you probably want to check it??
post #8 of 10 Old 09-13-2005, 8:54 PM Thread Starter

Really, that's surprising because I've felt nothing but an improvement; although, it's not difficult to improve over stock. I was going to wait until winter to pull the fluid out to reach 115 mm and cut the spacer down another 5 mm or so because I'm almost turned out all the way on spring preload to reach 36mm sag up front.

It's not to difficult to pull the cap off and remove fluid so I'll try it this weekend. Sorry for giving you any bad advice. I was initially going off baketech's recommendation to set the level around 110mm from the top.

I'll let you know how that level works out for me, thanks
post #9 of 10 Old 09-27-2005, 1:09 PM

No worries...I was lookg for the shortcut to changing fluid...

for the record...my initail reduction was along the lines of 1/2 oz.....

since then...I removed an additional 2 OZ exactly to get the forks back to a suitable point...MAN...what a difference...the suppleness has returned although I will be using the Ole' Zip tie to check travel this week and make sure its not bottoming out.

On a casual trip you may not notice the difference...just feels stiff...but get the bike out and rail it on the backroads and the additional oil bounces the front all over the place.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-01-2006, 6:24 PM Thread Starter

How does everyone measure the fluid level, with the damper rod extended or compressed? The manual doesn't specify either way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page