Wondering about the 1000RR suspension - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-09-2005, 8:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Wondering about the 1000RR suspension

I am considering getting the new 06 1000RR next year and was wondering what the stock suspension is like. I would most likely make the bike a track bike and want to know if the stock suspension would hold up or does it need to be reworked/replaced like the 954 suspension does?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-09-2005, 1:43 PM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe
Re: Wondering about the 1000RR suspension

Most guys who race them change out the stock forks, shock, spring. PM trackho, LDH, tnaren they have experience in these matters.

And then there's this asshole...
post #3 of 5 Old 09-09-2005, 4:17 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
Most guys who race them change out the stock forks, shock, spring. PM trackho, LDH, tnaren they have experience in these matters.
If I'm referred above, here's my few cents. I don't race, at least yet that is, as I broke my right wrist on 100% self-induced highside before I had chance to enter any races here this season, maybe next year . I'm currently running WP factory (actually SO Products in Nederland does their revalve jobs) revalved fork and model 2005 WP race shock.

My thoughts on the stock suspension: for serious track (if you are planning into running inside ~110% of the track records) the frontend is too soft unless you weight like 110 pounds. I bottomed my forks the very first time I went to track, even though I had maxed preload. The rear is not that bad (there are those who think otherwize), at least there is enough spring if not for anything else.

As for updating the front, many people say that you should go with Ohlins R&T and not bother tinkering with the OEM stuff. That's propably quite correct if you can muscle the $$. Being longer than OEM (25 mm?) they help you to keep geometry flat as high-profile track rear tires and aftermarket shocks tend to raise rear (Ohlins is some mm longer than stock shock and with around 3:1 link ratio each mm in shock raises rear ~3 mm) and even though that is commonly preferred/acceptable with track bikes that truly is not the case with 1000RR. Flat, flat, flat is what you want. So R&T length can be used compensate the raised rear and you'll love the improved clearance also. If you want to save $$ and stick to OEM forks you still can get quite decent forks. Jeff Tigert and Ken Hill are doing quite well in races in Cali with revalved forks and same can be said about Josh Brookes and Adam Fergusson in Aussie Superbike. The word is that Aftershocks and Lindemann are the one's that have 1000RR OEM forks quite figured out if you are in the US.

I haven't got the option of using R&T forks as they are not allowed by the local race class rules, WP race shock is some mm shorter than Ohlins so it helps with keeping flat geometry.

The bottom line is: if you plan on doing anything to the bike, put the money on the suspension first. After running OEM stuff in 2004, I immediated butchered my own lap records in all tracks when I went riding with aftermarket stuff in 2005. I was comfortable doing 1.16's in track with record in 1.09's before I ended my season due to my own mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-12-2005, 9:58 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Depends on your finaces. If you continue to go to the track you will realize the shortcomings of any stock suspension. I am not fast at the track but have had to adjust on certain corners to avoid upsetting the stock suspension.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Do a search on Deez and 1000RR for some interesting commentary on it's suspension.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page