954 Micron Serpent Impressions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-12-2005, 7:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

954 Micron Serpent Impressions

Hey all, I recently installed a Micron Serpent full system on my 954 and wanted to share some general impressions for those who may be considering this mod.

I picked up my system from Hardracing.com with a PCIII & base map for about $1200. Kudos to Hardracing - I have done business with them several times and have never had a problem - a rarity in the motorcycle aftermarket.

As far as fitment, a problem I ran into was that the header pipes did not quite fit into the mid-pipes due to the mid-pipes being appx. 1mm out of round. I solved this problem by gently tapping the mid-pipes with a rubber mallet at the largest diameter. The header pipes then fit perfectly. The tolerances are so perfect that I used no sealer whatsoever with no leaks. I also had 2 exhaust studs back out with the nuts (I should have spayed them with WD-40 before removal, my bad). Made it a little more difficult to put back together, but it still worked out OK.

So how does it run?
In a word, great! Initially, I wanted to check the low end response because I am a street rider and did not want to lose any of the streetability of the engine. The low end reponse is very smooth, noticeably smoother than before, and I did not lose any low end power.

For me, the midrange is the most important part of the powerband. Not only for manuevering in traffic, but when I'm riding on my favorite mountain roads, and I twist the throttle coming out of a second gear corner, I want immediate acceleration. Before the Serpents, I felt the bike was a little flat coming out of a second gear corner at about 4000 RPM. I thought that some of it was the bike, and figured some of it was the altitude (around 5000 ft).

It's not the altitude. The bike is now very satisfying accelerating out of slower corners - feels a LOT faster now. In some of the second gear corners, I'm taking them in third now with good pull - and at altitude! And again, the throttle reponse is very smooth!

As far as the top end goes I think that it's fair to say that this bike flies! I didn't think that it was slow before, but I would not have dropped a big chunk 'o change if I didn't want it to go faster. The biggest gains are of course, in the upper third of the powerband, and I am not dissapointed.

Also, I really like the way this system sounds. Prior to the Micron, I had an Erion bolt-on, and even with the flapper pinned, compared to my XX w/ dual TBR cans, it sounded like a toy. Now, it has a deep, ballsy exhaust note that really screams when ya wind 'er up. Like a High Performance sportbike should sound. I should add that it is not noticeably louder, just sounds better.

The last feature I considered was looks. I picked the gloss black anodized canister which compliments the red/black color scheme of the '03 954 nicely.

My objectives in adding a full system were a smooth low end, fat midrange, screaming top end, great sound and looks.

Mission Accomplished.

Any downside to this madness?

I think I might be spending a lot more $$ on rear tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-12-2005, 9:54 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: 954 Micron Serpent Impressions

Sounds like your happy. This is one of the full systems I am considering right now for my "03" 954.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-12-2005, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hahahaha The Micron serpents are a great system, no doubt, but I love the "had to hit with a mallet and then they fit PERFECTLY. couldn't help but laugh at that. But yep, great system for the 954, the only one I've seen givemore h.p for that bike is the Arata, and it's only 2-3 more, so if you don't wanna spend the $'s, that'd be my next choice, for sure. Glad you're happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-13-2005, 10:47 AM

Good choice. The serpents do have a ton of R&D into them. Enjoy.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-13-2005, 2:44 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Just put a Serpent on my 01 929 that I bought off the forum here. Went from 133 (with a Scorpion slip-on only) to 144 with the Micron, PCIII, flapper removed and a custom map.

Not bad, hoped and expected a bit more mid-range, other than a very low rpm (under 3000 RPM) loss, it pulls way hard from 6K up. Most of the gain is in the top end, the 2 graphs (slipon and full) follow each other almost exactly until like 7K or so.

The system sounds great and I am fairly happy with the whole thing.

YMMV
post #6 of 13 Old 09-13-2005, 8:13 PM Thread Starter

[quote=The Sook]Hahahaha The Micron serpents are a great system, no doubt, but I love the "had to hit with a mallet and then they fit PERFECTLY. couldn't help but laugh at that.

Yeah, I was a little pissed that they would not fit together at first. Had to measure 'em w/ vernier calipers to figure it out. Both mid-pipes had the exact same problem - not sure why.

Figured I would share the info in case anyone else ran into the same problem.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-13-2005, 11:36 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Let us know how it does slow speed wheelies in school zones.

LOL. I figured I would grace a few of you with my presense?

Cant believe my screen name still worked.

OK, back to topic. The Serpents will make a 929 run like a mofo. I would expect the same for a 954. Top end pull is unmatched atleast from the other bikes I have ridden with other full systems. My 929 put down 142 SAE without a map with Serpents.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-14-2005, 12:05 AM

well, the Arata and Sato will give a LITTLE more,(hindle the same) so not unmatched, but yeah. Great system for the 954 (and/or 929)
post #9 of 13 Old 09-14-2005, 12:07 AM

Hindle will give a bit more without the "Serpent dip". The Hindle is also lighter, much cheaper, and not as nicely made.

post #10 of 13 Old 09-14-2005, 1:16 AM

Since I no longer own a Hindle, I guess I can say a thing or so without being called prejudiced. One of the major complaints about the Hindle system was the fact that sometimes you needed to tap the pipes a bit to get them to fit together. I believe one or two Micron owners made several posts knocking the "cheesy build quality" of the Hindles because of this. If you look at any contemporary full system that's worth a damn, you'll notice they are made of extremely thin material (aircraft stainless on the Hindle and a few others). If the manufacturer took the time to develop a decent shipping container, then the pipes would all fit together perfectly once they were delivered. I can say first hand that the cardboard box with a couple of extra pieces of cardboard sheets thrown in are not quite up to the task of getting buried in the back of a UPS trailer under a crate of plumbing fixtures.

People on this forum are constantly looking for the best deal on the best gear, but often throw rocks at the lower priced equipment and the expensive stuff at the same time.

I purchased an Akro system for the RC primarily because I got a great deal on it and it was one of the quieter systems available for the bike. When I received it, I began to realize why they cost so damn much. The system came in 3 seperate boxes, each a box within a box with a full molded ethafoam "pillow" for the canisters. Unless something very substantial was dropped directly onto any of these boxes, I find it very unlikely that the system would sustain any type of damage from shipping. When I installed it, I found that this expensive packaging must work very well because the system fit together perfectly and without the requirement of any type of sealer at the junctions (there are several on this system). I know many RC owners don't care for the Akro, but in terms of sheer quality, I have yet to see anything better (including the Arata and Sato, which both utilize the boat anchor stock header system).
post #11 of 13 Old 09-15-2005, 12:46 AM

mate, as much as I HATE to disagree with you,it's coz their slip ons give the same if not more h.p than thet Akra full system. last year we were gonna race an SP2 in the Oz championships. Had a left over Akra system, put it on, mapped it up, had 130h.p at the wheel. The same bike with Micron slip ons mapped has 135. Akra are SHITE for the SP's, I've seen it for myslef. I'm just about todo the same thing with an RSV Factory Mille, the shop runs Akra's and the Aprilia race pipes on their customers bikes, but are about to try a set of Sato slip ons and dyno it, after their race bike made 3h.p with a full akra system, and cost them 3.5KAUS. what the ?. I'll let you know the difference. Good packing doesn't make good h.p. For all the "state of the art" crap that Akra has/had, they now make rip off's of the Serpent systems, and like I said, full system made less than the slip ons anyway. (probably due to the pea shooter outlets on the mufflers, what the HELL is with That?)
post #12 of 13 Old 09-26-2005, 8:17 PM

Thanx JBAXX hardracing.com has sum of the best prices I've seen. pperciate it much and as soon as I scrap together some cash I am going with full micron as well as a IIIUSB off of there site for my ride.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-26-2005, 9:35 PM Thread Starter

You won't regret it. Where are you in SoCal? I'm in Anaheim.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page