Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

What riding position do you use?

11K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  ULEWZ 
#1 ·
Every now and then I sit on a different spot on the seat or take a different grip, and it makes a big difference. What position or grips do you use at what time to achieve maximum riding ability?

#2 ·
i prefer to face forward lol with her doin the reverse cowgirl facing me but for real just riding i am upright all around town and on the highway up to 140 km/hr less heat , but if i have to i;'ll slide off the side to keep the bike on the road

#4 ·
I have been experimenting with this riding position. The only mods to the bike are a throttle lock, velcro on the seat, and I cut the can. Tire wear up front is abolutely amazing, 157,000 miles on the odometer and the tire still looks like new. Downsides are rear tire heats up and is wearing funny, and the bike doesn't turn so well.

#5 ·
I like to be behind her while she is on her hands and knees oh yeah. Who's your daddy!?

But seriously. I ride all the way up at the tank while keeping my elbows bent, pretty much leaning forward. I use my stomach muscles to hold myself up. I only tuck in at about 85-90mph. At that time I do slide back in the saddle a little. I don't know what to tell you about grip. How many different ways can you hand the bars? Properly that is?

#10 ·
WildBillF1 : I have been experimenting with this riding position.  The only mods to the bike are a throttle lock, velcro on the seat, and I cut the can.  Tire wear up front is abolutely amazing, 157,000 miles on the odometer and the tire still looks like new.  Downsides are rear tire heats up and is wearing funny, and the bike doesn't turn so well.  
you

#11 ·
I like to sit with my nuts up against the tank, and my legs and knees tight against the bike(No smart ass comments please&#33. I feel like this gives me the most control and the most feel while riding.

I seem to like my hands up against the gaurd on the grip. I don't know why, I just seem to feel more in control of the throttle with my hands braced up against something. I tend to be smoother with the throttle when I do this.

Don't you hate it when you ask a legitimate question, and these wise asses give you a hard time?

#15 ·
All good stuff.  There are times when my wrists are sore, and the heat is too much for my legs, so that I have to open them.  But how do I open my legs to allow vent and not pressure on my wrists.  So I use my uhhh stomach to support my whole upper body.  

I think I'll stick with my wrist down from now on.  I have noticed times when going over bumps or leaning over and i accidently pull down on the throttle roughening the ride even more.

#17 ·
I always used to ride stacked up close to the tank. It prevents nut crunch when you hit the brakes. I have been experimenting at the track with sliding back unless I am braking. The suspension seems to work a bit better in the turns. It is more responsive and fluid if I sit back just a bit. I can tuck much better if I am are back about two inches or more from the tank.

It is more relaxing, and I fit the bike better at speed. Going slow (street speeds), it is a bit too much of a stretch for me, so it would not be my preferred position for long street rides, but 20 minute runs on the track are ok.

With that slack between the tank and myself, I should probably start wearing a cup though. If I slammed on the brakes suddenly without taking up that slack first, it would be an eye opener.

#21 ·
Zeeman : on a long freeway ride, I pull down the passenger pegs, rest my shins on them, lie on the tank and hold me chin up with my left hand...

Z...
Do you really feel comfortable that way? Doesn't it hurt your shins?

WTF is Dirty Sanchez?

#22 ·
Almost forget about grip. The wrist down makes sense with the throttle but according to a book about riding, see my other thread, it says you should keep your wrist in line as much as possible to help aviod wrist pain. I normally keep mine in between, just slightly bent.

#24 ·
thebackdraft : Quote (Zeeman @ Aug. 14 2003, 9:44am)on a long freeway ride, I pull down the passenger pegs, rest my shins on them, lie on the tank and hold me chin up with my left hand...

Z...
Do you really feel comfortable that way?  Doesn't it hurt your shins?  

WTF is Dirty Sanchez?
If you have Kazaa, then search on video for Bang Bus, you'll quickly find out who Dirty Sanchez is

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.