Wiring radiator fan hot all the time? 1000rr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 09-14-2005, 7:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Wiring radiator fan hot all the time? 1000rr

So when I get home from work or a ride my last mile is always stop and go and the bike gets HOT 215*F+.

When I pull my bike in the garage I would like the fan to run to cool the bike down and then just shut off when the temp reaches the predetermined "Fan Off" temperature even though the key is in the off position or even locked.

Has anyone done this. Should just be a simple splice / half-tap. Any real good reasons NOT to do this?

Insignificant Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-14-2005, 7:29 PM

Re: Wiring radiator fan hot all the time? 1000rr

Seems kind of pointless since the bike will cool off when you shut it down anyway
post #3 of 21 Old 09-14-2005, 7:32 PM Thread Starter

What is the harm in having the fan on to cool the bike quicker? I always thought it was dumb when I pull into my driveway and the fan is running, it's running for a reason to cool the radiator / motor, I hit my kill switch or turn off the key and the fan stops. Is the motor instantly cool? NO, it's still hot as hell and getting hotter.

Insignificant Member

Last edited by freq; 09-14-2005 at 7:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 09-14-2005, 7:47 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Yeah, the coolant is barely moving at that point, and fans draw lots of current from your little MC batt.

It's fine dude, don't worry about it.

post #5 of 21 Old 09-14-2005, 8:38 PM

Reputation Power: 16

its possible to install a manual switch for the fan, however it wouldnt make that much of a difference. You bike will be fine without it
post #6 of 21 Old 09-14-2005, 9:05 PM

Plus that doesn't cool the engine off that just cools the coolant in the radiator and your battery will die. You might be able to put a resistor in line with the sensor to make it think it is hotter than it is so your fan comes on earlier but I wouldn't worry about it.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-14-2005, 9:17 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket954
Plus that doesn't cool the engine off that just cools the coolant in the radiator and your battery will die. You might be able to put a resistor in line with the sensor to make it think it is hotter than it is so your fan comes on earlier but I wouldn't worry about it.
Unfortunately adding a resistor inline won't help as the temp sensor closes at a certain temperature like your thermostat. The only other options to get your fan to turn on earlier is to use a manual switch (already recommended - it's a ground circuit which makes it easy) or get a different temperature sensor which would probably be a bit pricey if they even exist. Maybe you could cross reference the sensor (threads) with an automotive sensor. Would have to be a normally open sensor. Beyond that you would have to find the correct thread pitch, and the temperature desired.
post #8 of 21 Old 09-15-2005, 11:58 AM

You guys have a fan??
post #9 of 21 Old 09-15-2005, 12:53 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to EDDIE110171

Quote:
Originally Posted by freq
What is the harm in having the fan on to cool the bike quicker? I always thought it was dumb when I pull into my driveway and the fan is running, it's running for a reason to cool the radiator / motor, I hit my kill switch or turn off the key and the fan stops. Is the motor instantly cool? NO, it's still hot as hell and getting hotter.
If you're that worried about it get an electric fan and let it blow on the radiator. Save yourself alot of time.

"another beautiful theory beaten to death by a gang of ruthless facts..."
- Tom Hanna (Master Metalshaper/Nitrogeezer)
post #10 of 21 Old 09-15-2005, 2:34 PM Thread Starter

The fan will shut itself off once the temp reaches ~215 or so, using the same switched hot that turns itself on. That fan will only run for about 5 minute or so before it shuts off, it WILL NOT kill my battery.

I have just been leaving the ignition and kill switch on to let the fan do its job while I take off my gear and pull the machine into the garage. But doing it this way leaves the headlight(s) on and I cannot lock the ignition either.

Insignificant Member
post #11 of 21 Old 09-15-2005, 3:44 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
The fan will shut itself off once the temp reaches ~215 or so, using the same switched hot that turns itself on. That fan will only run for about 5 minute or so before it shuts off, it WILL NOT kill my battery.

I have just been leaving the ignition and kill switch on to let the fan do its job while I take off my gear and pull the machine into the garage. But doing it this way leaves the headlight(s) on and I cannot lock the ignition either.
You should be able to run a wire directly from you battery or fuse block to the positive wire of the fan. This will enable the circuit to always be hot regardless of your ignition position. If the 1000rr is the same as the 929/954, they use the temp sensor to ground the circuit.
post #12 of 21 Old 09-16-2005, 1:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
You should be able to run a wire directly from you battery or fuse block to the positive wire of the fan. This will enable the circuit to always be hot regardless of your ignition position. If the 1000rr is the same as the 929/954, they use the temp sensor to ground the circuit.

Ah, no. This would work off of the existing Fan Temp Switch if that's what it is called.

Insignificant Member
post #13 of 21 Old 09-16-2005, 1:08 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Ah, no. This would work off of the existing Fan Temp Switch if that's what it is called.
Not sure what you mean by this. If you run a positive wire from the battery to the fan positive, the ground from the fan through the temp sensor (normally open until it reaches around 220 F then it closes), it should work. When the temp sensor closes (around 220 F) this will ground the circuit and the fan will turn on regardless of the key position.
post #14 of 21 Old 09-16-2005, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

After thought: If the key is in the "Off" position all sensors will be "Off" also. You are correct, I would HAVE to have a manual switch or run a parellel fan temp switch in line with the original one.

I remember / know some of my Honda cars in the past would run the fan after the car was shut off.

Insignificant Member
post #15 of 21 Old 09-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
After thought: If the key is in the "Off" position all sensors will be "Off" also. You are correct, I would HAVE to have a manual switch or run a parellel fan temp switch in line with the original one.

I remember / know some of my Honda cars in the past would run the fan after the car was shut off.
Remember the temp switch acts similar to a thermostat, except instead of normally closed (thermostat) the switch is normally open, but will close once it reaches a certain temperature. When the switch closes, it grounds the circuit acting as a switch in the circuit. Therefor, if you have constant power (i.e. running a wire to the positive wire of the fan from the battery), when your sensor reaches a certain temperature it will close the circuit, turning the fan on. It is no different than the way it is currently wired except your positive wire for the fan is currently connected to a key on ignition source. What I explain will bypass this and still allow your fan to work properly when the bike is running and even when the bike key is in the off position. Keep in mind that the sensor will open and close regardless of a wire being connected to it, just as a thermostat would.
I wish I could draw a schematic for you, it would save explaining and you would be able to visually see what I'm trying to explain.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page