15/44 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 05-15-2003, 3:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: 15/44

I would like ask your input or comment who has done a 15/44 gearing combination. I have been thinking of doing this modification. Is this good for street and track? How does the bike behave on this gearing?

Thanks
sloduck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 05-15-2003, 4:32 PM

I love it. Only drawback is that your speedo will be even farther off, however, an ahlman box will fixe that. Well worth the $90.00 and your odometer will love you as well.

I like the extra low end grunt when twisty riding. I'm not shifting thru gears as much. For $30.00, it's the best and cheapest 'bang for your buck' mod.
post #3 of 34 Old 05-15-2003, 4:45 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Garage

I have the sprockets and the Ahlmans box but haven't installed them yet. I will let you know after this next week at Deal's Gap.

Life always looks better through bugs on a face shield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 05-15-2003, 5:20 PM

Reputation Power: 42

This is my next mod as well....hoping it will reduce the need to use 1st gear in the twisties....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #5 of 34 Old 05-15-2003, 7:35 PM

Reputation Power: 31

I've also done the 15/44 combo and I like it. I chose it partly because the stock chain fits with this combo. I'll wait and do the 520 conversion when my stock chain wears out. It seems to accelerate quicker. One change I liked on the track was the slow hairpin turn-I felt like I couldn't decide between first and second on that turn, and the rpms were never high enough, giving that annoying on/off feeling. With this gearing, I can be in second and, since the rpms are higher, it's smoother going around that turn. It's still fine for highway riding, too, as near as I can tell so far.
post #6 of 34 Old 05-15-2003, 7:44 PM

For the track, you need to lose the xx/xx mentality and find the gearing that allows you to just hit redline in 6th gear on the fastest part of the circuit. Since the Blade's gearbox isn't exactly 'adjustable' at the track, this technique usually gives you the best drive throughout the track, while utilizing all of the resources of your bike. On a short track, that might mean 15/50 and at Daytona or Road America, it might mean 16/42. On some VERY short tracks, you may find it best to go with something more conventional (say 15/46) and just run the bike as a 5 speed. This has proven to be the best overall guide for gearing, as the lower gearing usually affords the rider better drive off of the slower corners, yet allows the bike to attain it's highest speed on the straights.
post #7 of 34 Old 05-15-2003, 7:49 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Yup, what Abtech said. Unfortunately the one really small track I frequent would probably need a 60 tooth rear sprocket to allow me to get into 6th gear! Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit. In my case, I'm just trying to find a balance between the several different tracks I run, and the street. I realize I'm compromising both, but it's better than stock gearing for me.
post #8 of 34 Old 05-15-2003, 8:18 PM

If you are doing quite a few trackdays and/or getting into the amateur racing scene, I agree 1000% with ABTECH.

For us occasional trackdayers and canyon riders, I would think the 15t front is more than sufficient until you decide to change chain/sprocket, then you might want to bump up the rear, or do the 520 conversion.
post #9 of 34 Old 05-16-2003, 9:54 AM

Politely asked questions:

For road-going motorcycles, why gear the bike down when it's already nearly incapable of WFO 1st gear acceleration w/o wheelies?

You'd shift MORE, not LESS, with altered gearing, right? If the motor spins quicker due to the deeper gearing, I'd have to believe you'd be shifting more quickly more often rather than the other way around. Am I wrong about this?

With the added expense of the speedo recalibration, diminished fuel mileage on road trips, etc., is gearing the right thing to do even for we riders who don't do trackdays?
post #10 of 34 Old 05-16-2003, 1:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks you all!!!! Went ahead ordered a 15T front, I already have the rear for 44. So is this mean that some of turn that I do on 2nd gear need to be on 3rd?
post #11 of 34 Old 05-16-2003, 1:20 PM

Reputation Power: 42

Quote:
Chain : Politely asked questions:

For road-going motorcycles, why gear the bike down when it's already nearly incapable of WFO 1st gear acceleration w/o wheelies?

You'd shift MORE, not LESS, with altered gearing, right? If the motor spins quicker due to the deeper gearing, I'd have to believe you'd be shifting more quickly more often rather than the other way around. Am I wrong about this?

With the added expense of the speedo recalibration, diminished fuel mileage on road trips, etc., is gearing the right thing to do even for we riders who don't do trackdays?
I like to keep the revs up on the bike, so for me its the convenience of not having to do the relatively clunky downshift into first for slow corners......

Plus, imho, this decreases the chances of a false neutral......

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #12 of 34 Old 05-16-2003, 2:49 PM

Quote:
SLODUCK : Thanks you all!!!! *Went ahead ordered a 15T front, I already have the rear for 44. *So is this mean that some of turn that I do on 2nd gear need to be on 3rd?
I agree w/Ab----for a racebike--but if you are still riding your bike on the street---15/44 sounds pretty good

Slo- for the tracks that we frequent--15/46/47(T-Hill) would probably ne optimal, but I have found that 15/45 is a pretty good combo--its approx 10% reduction--and it makes it a little buzy--if you have the need to go 160mph on the freeway---at least thats what LTL (love-to -lob) *told me

post #13 of 34 Old 05-16-2003, 3:01 PM
ER

Quote:
Chain : Politely asked questions:

Me personally, I rarely spend much -- if any -- time in first gear. *I usually cruise my favorite roads in third or fourth so gearing the bike down would give me a little more pull in those gears, but I would be a bit more wheelie prone in second. *That being said, I like the stock gearing because I'm not pulling as hard as I can out of turns on the street.

I'm personally considering a gearing change because I'm starting to attend more trackdays.

post #14 of 34 Old 05-22-2003, 12:10 PM

Reputation Power: 18

For about 10k miles I've been running the stock 530 chain with 15T front and the stock 43T rear. I loved the one down in the front. But it just got 5 times better.

Now I'm running 15T/44T with a 520 chain. WOW! Granted my rear wheel moved from the second last notch to the second notch from the front; and the new rear sprocket is about 1lbs lighter; the bike feels great all over with the smaller chain. Throttle response it even faster. It feel so smooth and aggressive. I'm excited to ride it again!

I got the conversion with the front/rear sprockets from Dan at kyleusa.com for $235 or so. Great buy if you need a new chain anyway.

Paul

--------------
Paul Roesner (redwhite929rr)
--------------
08 Honda 1000rr, Vance and Hines slip on. Power Commander III.
post #15 of 34 Old 05-22-2003, 2:55 PM

About the 520 conversion, does it hold up well? I continue to hear the 520 is a bad idea for 929/954 owners as I hear that it isn't as strong as the 530. I'm not racing, will do 5 or less trackdays this year and ride my blade everyday to work and to the canyon. WHen my chain wears out, should I 520 it? What's the REAL SCOOP on this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page