coolant leak on my 929 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-18-2003, 1:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Re: coolant leak on my 929

First time dealing with a coolant leak of any sort. Haven't had the time to pull anything apart to look at a possible source of the problem.

Noticed during a stop at the mall that there was green fluid dripping out of my fairings. Left a pretty good mess too. Air-cooled it home.

Anyway, don't know if I have time to play with it during weekdays, wish me luck.

I hope it isn't too hard to diagnose the problem. But what it only occurs during high pressure and heat. Would I need to get those coolant system pressurizer thingys (sorry, I know what it does, but don't know the proper term) to simulate the load to discover where the leak is?

Is changing the water pump hard?

Be fast or be last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-18-2003, 1:45 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Changing the water pump is a piece of cake. Sounds like you might be facing the possibility of a small crack around either the inlet or outlet pipes on the radiator. A pressure test of the radiator will determine that. Good luck, hope it's something easy and cheap to fix.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-18-2003, 8:26 AM

This could be caused by using improper radiator fluid. If you use stand anti-freeze that is not silicate free it will cause your water pump seals to leak. Do you know if the bike has run with anything other than motorcycle radiator fluid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-19-2003, 3:32 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 20

AFAIK, it's motorcycle rad fluid. Last time it was changed, it was done at the shop (I'd do it myself, but didn't have time, and was on a trackday the next morning).

Maybe they fudged it up?

Be fast or be last.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-19-2003, 6:35 PM

Latebraking, you must be a hell of a mechanic to be able to diagnose a coolant leak with out seeing the bike. Don't shoot from the hip and give this man shoddy advice. The only way to find the leak is to remove fairings and pressurize the cooling system.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-19-2003, 6:50 PM

You gotta take the fairings off. Take them off and go ride it until it gets hot enough to leak. Then spend some time just looking at everything, you should be able to find the location of the leak pretty easily.

If the pump seals are bad, you'll see coolant coming out of a little hole on the bottom of it, made just for this, to tell you it's bad.

post #7 of 15 Old 01-23-2011, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiliat View Post
First time dealing with a coolant leak of any sort. Haven't had the time to pull anything apart to look at a possible source of the problem.

Noticed during a stop at the mall that there was green fluid dripping out of my fairings. Left a pretty good mess too. Air-cooled it home.

Anyway, don't know if I have time to play with it during weekdays, wish me luck.

I hope it isn't too hard to diagnose the problem. But what it only occurs during high pressure and heat. Would I need to get those coolant system pressurizer thingys (sorry, I know what it does, but don't know the proper term) to simulate the load to discover where the leak is?

Is changing the water pump hard?
Did you get this figured out? What did you determine? I think I am facing the same exact issue on my 929. Thanks
post #8 of 15 Old 01-23-2011, 11:03 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Hopefully I'll be able to work on mine this week. I'm having the same problem. I noticed it dripping when I was running the bike while checking it out. I just bought the bike a week ago and I'm storing it at my buddies house.

I'll be ripping into it as soon as I can because I want to change the oil, filter, spark plugs and coolant anyways.

I'll post what I find out.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-23-2011, 11:16 PM

I am going to pressure test as a first step myself, should be getting around to it next weekend. I will be very interested to know what you find if you get around to your bike before I do mine.

Thanks
post #10 of 15 Old 01-24-2011, 3:00 AM

Reputation Power: 12

It could be something as simple as the hose clamps biteing into the coolant hoses, this happened to my RC51.As posted, take the fairings off to see where it is leaking.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-24-2011, 8:31 PM

I hope to check mine out tomorrow night if things work out.

I'll let you know.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-26-2011, 10:44 PM

Ok, I pulled the lower fairing off and everything is dry. I started it up and still dry. I let it get up to temp.......still dry. 10 minutes of running, and not even a drop.

The over flow tank is in the upper level and the bike didn't over heat so I'm assuming everything is topped off. I wasn't able to check before going home since it was still hot. I'll get to it this weekend when I change the oil.

Sorry, nothing to report today.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-05-2011, 10:09 AM

Update;

The upper hose is leaking at the top. Seems the clamp may be loose. Didn't get a chance to pull the fairing last weekend. Going to fix it this weekend.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk View Post
Update;

The upper hose is leaking at the top. Seems the clamp may be loose. Didn't get a chance to pull the fairing last weekend. Going to fix it this weekend.

I got a hole in my radiator last week probably from a stone. I have to fill it before every ride. As the pressure builds it squirts water directly onto the front tyre which has caused some very interesting corner entries during the week :-)
Need to find time to pull it off and solder it up.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #15 of 15 Old 03-06-2011, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I got a hole in my radiator last week probably from a stone. I have to fill it before every ride. As the pressure builds it squirts water directly onto the front tyre which has caused some very interesting corner entries during the week :-)
Need to find time to pull it off and solder it up.
Dude, that's some scary stuff!

Tightened the hose today. Now I just need a nice day to take a ride to see if it's fixed. Damn I can't wait til this friggin snow is gone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page