horribly failed SS install - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 08-18-2003, 7:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: horribly failed SS install

I got some Goodridge SS lines for my 929. I've never done anything with brakes before but I figured out how they connect. I couldn't figure out how to use the bleeders and ended up taking the banjo bolts on and off a few times. I ended up snapping TWO of them due to lack of torque wrench and frustration, and put the original bolts on with the SS kit. I eventually figured out (TURN screw) how to operate the bleeders, and I have a vacuum syringe, but I just keep sucking air. I get about 10% fluid, 90% air every time I pull the syringe. Even after refilling the reserve constantly until I'd gone through a full 12oz bottle of fluid. I get a tiny bit of braking force but thats about it. I spent a good half hour at this and assume it shouldn't take anywhere near that long. Does it really take forever or do I have a leak? Do you think stock banjo bolts will work, and I need to get new crush washers? Or a whole new set of bolts/washers.

One thing I did learn is that DOT4 isn't terribly harmful. I got it all over tire, paint, caliper, rotor, hands, face, etc with no ill effects (in 24 hours).

Any advice that doesn't involve hiring a mechanic? :-p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-18-2003, 7:33 PM

Uhhhh, Please tell me that you thoroughly washed the bike after getting the brake fluid on it...? You may want to if you haven't already.

Make sure everything is nice and snug and then keep at the bleeding. It will take several times of trying, especially if you are new to it so don't give up.
post #3 of 24 Old 08-18-2003, 7:34 PM Thread Starter

yeah i washed it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 08-18-2003, 7:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Technically, you should replace the crush washers anytime you remove the bolts, and especially when changing bolts.
Your stock banjos will work fine if the fitting is the same thickness as the stock line. If it isn't, get another set of bolts, along with a set of crush washers.

Fill your resevoir with fluid, and disconnect one line. Wait for the fluid to start dripping. Now, connect the line to the caliper. Do the same for the other side.
Zip tie your brake lever back to your grip, and clean up the mess. Wait an hour or two, tap your lines with a wrench starting at the caliper and working up on both sides. Now, cut the zip ties, and bleed by squeezing the lever and releasing the bleeder for a split second while holding the lever back.
Repeat squeeze/bleed until you have a good, solid brake.
post #5 of 24 Old 08-18-2003, 10:17 PM

Correct me if i am wrong but the stock banjo only has one line at the master cylinder and the ss lines both connect at the master cylinder. Therefore you should be using a double banjo bolt (has two holes instead of one). The 929 is a monster to bleed but the above advise worked for me. A banjo bleeder seems to help the process also.. Hope this helps and like previously mentioned replace the crush washers. They tend to leak under hard riding and mist on your windscreen. Don't ask how I know but I have a #### load of new crush washers in the garage....
post #6 of 24 Old 08-19-2003, 2:11 AM

Stegan, did you change your handle to Firepants? Oh, man.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-19-2003, 2:20 AM

My *guess* here is that you did not use any type of teflon tape at the bleeder valve when you put the new ones in. If not then when you crack the bleeder valve it will pull in air from around the threads. I had to put some teflon tape around the threads of my bleeder valves before I screwed them into the calipers and the banjo bleeder bolt to insure an airtight seal when bleeding the system.

Although, having said that, you still shouldn't get that much air.... methinks you should have one of your friends who has been through the process come over and give you a hand. It isn't that hard to do, but there can be some gotchas here and there if you haven't worked around brakes.
post #8 of 24 Old 08-19-2003, 6:59 PM

That's a load of crap IFG, why would it pull air from between the threads, but not through the bleeder itself. *I've bled brakes hundreds of times without teflon tape. *And i've come out just fine. *Hell i'm even ASE certified in brakes, and i've never even heard of needing to seal the bleeder's threads. *

*Good advice, man. *

post #9 of 24 Old 08-19-2003, 7:02 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Maybe it depends on the bolts. I have speedbleeders, and, like lfg, I had to add a bit of teflon tape, too, as they were seeping a bit. Solved the problem.
post #10 of 24 Old 08-19-2003, 7:07 PM

I hope you are being sarcastic. Otherwise I am going to have to step over to Eastern Illinois and kick your ass (you have a smiley face, but I am questioning the tone).

When I installed my Goodridge line kit on both the 929 and the RC51 if I did not put teflon tape around the threads before inserting them into the calipers or banjo bolts then it would pull outside air in around the threads, into the brake system, and then pull it back out through the bleeder valve. It took me a while to figure this out (I figured I still had air in the lines). If I had upgraded to the better bleeder valves (with the sealant already applied to the threads) then I wouldn't have had to use the tape.

FYI, check out Speed Bleeders. The main image on the front page shows the bleeders with a red sealant. The bleeders I got with the Goodridge kit for the banjo bolts did not have any sealant on them, which is how I was getting air into the system while bleeding it. Obviously, once the bleeder valve was tightened down it was sealed, but that didn't help me when I was trying to bleed the system and get the air out of it....
post #11 of 24 Old 08-19-2003, 7:18 PM

Sorry Fusion - you're wrong. I'm replying in your own tone by the way.
The Honda bleed nipples come coated with a thread sealer (presumably to facilitate vacuum bleeding at the factory) but this rarely survives more than one or two uses.
If you vacuum bled you may have got lucky - I've done quite a few this way and more than 50% will pull air if you don't seal them with tape.
It's not necessary if you bleed normally by pumping the lever, but this method can be very troublesome (some clearly do have a routine which works) due to the problems of getting air out of the m/c.
It pulls air when vacuum bleeding at the nipple because it's easier to pull air down the thread and back out thro' the centre of the nipple than it is to pull fluid....
post #12 of 24 Old 08-19-2003, 8:29 PM

Hey!! I don't need for you guys to make me look like a jerk!! As you can see, i'm quite capable of doing that myself. Maybe i'm not understanding this banjo setup, but any bleeder
i've messed with, seals when you tighten it.
post #13 of 24 Old 08-19-2003, 8:33 PM

I never used any tape on my speedbleeders and used to bleed them before every weekend without any problems. My speedbleeders came with some sort of sealant on the threads and it stayed there throughout the 2 and a half years I ran the 929.
post #14 of 24 Old 08-19-2003, 9:19 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

I've used Speed Bleeders on both my VFR and 929. *Quoting the instructions that came with them...'When you first install Speed Bleeder you will note a slight resistance when you reach the thread sealant. *This is normal. *The thread sealant is conforming to the shape of the threads to provide a seal between the internal threads of the caliper or wheel cylinder and the external threads of the Speed Bleeder.' *Sooo...FWIW, at least Speed Bleeder thinks sealing the threads is necessary.

Carry on...

edit: Speed Bleeders also sells replacement thread sealant.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #15 of 24 Old 08-20-2003, 5:02 AM

....the point to say it again is really that you only need to worry about thread seal if you use a vacuum bleeding method.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page