Which on is best? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 8:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Which on is best?

Hi, guys:
I got confused about downshifting technics when I approached highway exit or on the red light intersection.

I read some other opinions about downshifting technics and said it's better downshifting one by one when you approach hw exit or red light intersection (i.e. release clutch lever when you downshift and let gear engage one by one). *However, other riders also said it's ok when you downshift at stop or downshift all the way to nutural w/o release clutch lever. *Man, I am sooo confused right now. *Can anyone please provide me better and clear answers. *Is there any Pros and Cons for these technics? *Thank you sooo much for you guys experiences input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 8:53 PM

Do what's comfortable for you.

I usually like to save the brakes and be ready for whatever may come my way, so I like to have the bike in gear, engine brake working for me. Sometimes I have to decelerate very quickly (read: panic stop) and don't have time to downshift. When this happens, I find it's sometimes hard to then get the bike to downshift.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 10:12 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Blip throttle and downshifting gear by gear works for me.

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Which one will do more harm to the engine or at least not good suggestion? Downshift once at stop light or downshift one by one with blip throttle a bit. I heard someone said you r not supposed to downshift when you r fully stop and that will damage your engine. Is that true? Please advise what kind of downshift technics are the best for the situation I described. Thank you guys.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 11:02 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Varies....Usually downshift gear by gear letting the clutch out each time. Sometimes I downshift all the way to 1st and just let the bike practically stop itself then just keep the clutch pulled in 'til the light turns green. It varies though, depends how lazy I am at the time
post #6 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
ND4SPDSHO : Varies....Usually downshift gear by gear letting the clutch out each time. *Sometimes I downshift all the way to 1st and just let the bike practically stop itself then just keep the clutch pulled in 'til the light turns green. *It varies though, depends how lazy I am at the time
Thank you for your input. But does that harm the engine when you downshift all the way to 1st gear?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 11:11 PM

Reputation Power: 50

No, not really. If it puts wear on anything it's your tire(sometimes it makes it bark) or your sprockets/chain
post #8 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
ND4SPDSHO : No, not really. *If it puts wear on anything it's your tire(sometimes it makes it bark) or your sprockets/chain
Thx. *What about tranny. *Does it harm that?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page