lowered the forks - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 08-20-2003, 4:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Re: lowered the forks

A buddy of mine recommended lowering my forks slightly to try and improve cornering with less effort. I did lower them approx 7.5 mm (.75 protruding from the triple clamp ), and the turning definately imporved. The problem is that at a certain point in the lean it seems as though the back just wants to slip out on me. I know the tires aren't slipping but it just feels that way. i've played around with the bike a little and it consistantly seems to be doing this.

I didn't touch the suspension after the setup so could it be a suspension tweaking issue due to the front end lowering??

Anyone had this also?? and what did they do to fix this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 08-20-2003, 11:13 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I've always read in the mags about fork lowering for cornernig. But i think they only lower them like 3 mms. try raising them back up a little bit. Fireblades are supposed to be the quickest steering bikes in stock form anyway.
post #3 of 40 Old 08-20-2003, 11:17 PM

Yeah, the 954 is about as sharp a turning motorcycle as you can get your hands on, almost too willing to fall in and overly communicative for some.

Do you have a damper? I'm just curious. I used to run a SCOTTS and actually prefer the bike damperless now, but holy cow, I can't imagine my bike turning any more rapidly than it does!

Good luck sorting your problem. I think this change in the geometry of the machine has likely opened a whole nuther can 'o worms for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 08-21-2003, 2:54 AM Thread Starter

well i just happened to run into another guy with an erion today, and while googling over his bike i noticed that his forks were lowered more than mine ( 10mm + ). We talked about the turning and he says that i'm just not used to it dropping so fast. I guess i have to get used to it. I'll take a look at some other 929 setups to see if they are lowered.

When i got it from the shop, the forks were up to the little line on them ( ring). so only about 2-3 mm's were showing. I'm wondering if other peoples forks were adjusted differently before they got their bikes.
post #5 of 40 Old 08-21-2003, 12:04 PM

It will take a while to get used to the handling. I jacked up the rear of the 929 around 7mm or so. That combined with the Michelin S2/M2 tires really changed the handling of the bike. Took me a little while to get used to it. Now that I am used to it I want to adjust it even more.

FYI, I have already dropped the RC front end by 10mm and am thinking about going down another 5mm. Not sure yet though. I might just shim the rear a little bit and see if that helps it out enough. After getting the 929 set up better for turning I finally got tired of having to drag the RC down in a corner and am on my way to making it a better turning machine. The RC is planted as hell in the turns but it took way too much effort to get it leaned over.
post #6 of 40 Old 08-21-2003, 12:55 PM

I don't know who should answer this first, LTL or I.

Lowering the triples onto the forks on the 929/954 is a bad idea, and once you exceed 120 mph in a straight line you will realize this yourself if you don't get blown off while traversing a small bump.

This has been discussed in so much detail on this forum and Motorush that I refuse to go into the physics again. But believe me, if you need to make the bike take less effort to turn it in, you need to start working out or rethink your riding style. The bike has too little trail already, and lowering the front end does not put more weight on the front wheel as everyone thinks (well, it actually does, but even at 10 mm, it is less than a pound). It does screw up the slight bit of straight line high speed stability the bike does have, beyond that it kills any chance of hard cornering on the brakes as all of the hard parts and bodywork will be grinding away.

This is a Darwin modification and should only be performed by posers. Most fast guys actually raise the triples to add trail and get some additional ground clearance. Sliding your butt another 2' forward while turning will make the bike turn WAY easier than lowering the front end ever will regardless of amount of drop.
post #7 of 40 Old 08-21-2003, 1:22 PM

Yep---Ab is dead nuts on--NOT to mention---you may get some surprises in lost ground clearnce---whenst you are cornering hard and you deck out your stator cover and fall on your bum
post #8 of 40 Old 08-21-2003, 1:33 PM

Agreed bike is already starving for trail. Do not lower the front end. Cowboy and myself are both starving for clearance as it is......And we both still manage to have front end shakes even with the suspension dialed......
post #9 of 40 Old 08-21-2003, 2:54 PM

yep,

lost ground clearance, instable and the tucking feeling at full lean, put them back up flush and raise the rear.
post #10 of 40 Old 08-21-2003, 4:07 PM

Decent article in this months Sport Rider by Andy Trevitt that relates some of Tony Foale's observations regarding the relationship between lack of trail and stability. Tony's books are true seat of the pants empirical data gained from playing 'what if' in real time to test some of the physics. A bit dated, but they usually don't change physical law every other week . . .

pp 96 in the October issue.
post #11 of 40 Old 08-21-2003, 4:43 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions.

So if i put the forks back to the original position and raise the rear a little would that serve the same purpose yet eliminate the instability??
post #12 of 40 Old 08-21-2003, 4:48 PM

Quote:
MACI4LIFE : thanks for the suggestions.

So if i put the forks back to the original position and raise the rear a little would that serve the same purpose yet eliminate the instability??
That is the way to go. But raising the rear will also add some instability.

It's basic physics as Ab pointed out. Anytime you make something easier to turn, it becomes less stable. Witness modern fighter jets, so unstable they can't be flown by a human.

Get the forks flush, and raise the rear if you want, just be ready for it to shake more.

post #13 of 40 Old 08-21-2003, 5:03 PM

Quote:
MACI4LIFE : thanks for the suggestions.

If you really want the bike to turn in faster, try some tires with a more triangulated profile, or as I mentioned before, sit further forward in the seat. *Raising the rear has many of the same negatives as lowering the front (it's usually more expensive as well), although it does have a positive effect on ground clearance. *Off corner drive may change (in a bad way) if you go too far and the bike will begin to oversteer (the same phenomona you are having now when it feels like it's going to come around). *

If you aren't pushing the front tire now, then it's not too hard to turn.

post #14 of 40 Old 08-21-2003, 5:44 PM Thread Starter

I'm running the bt-010's right now. I will get the 012's next year as these ones are getting worn ( most likely giving me the leaning problems. back is starting to square off ( which is probably why it wants to tuck at that certain lean point). I didn't feel it for the original settings so i'd have to assume that lowering the front made the feedback a lot more sensitive.

I guess i'll put the settings back to original, and just ride out the season until the new tires and then buy a spacer for the rear shock and start tinkering from there.

Thanks for everyones help. I've been reading pages of info from other forums and they all point to what you guys say.

lower the front = faster turn in, but increased instability.
raise the rear = faster turn in, more ground clearance, and less instability than lowering the front ( lesser of 2 evils ( can't get away from the geometry of the bike)).
post #15 of 40 Old 08-21-2003, 11:07 PM

the bike flicks from side to side quick enough as is. try sitting more foward like everyone else suggests and make a note of you body position. also try weighting the pegs a little. (try lifting off the seat just a bit as you countersteer) then tell me if you still think the bike steers slow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page