Almost ready for the Hindle - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-20-2003, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to 41ants
Re: Almost ready for the Hindle

I have pretty much made up my mind that I will be going with the Hindle High Mount/Oval/Titanium exhaust on my 03' 954. I will also be doing the PCIIIusb and have it tuned by a shop here in town (RTM). I was also considering the Akrapovic, but the price of the Hindle has made me rethink the Akra, as well as those other high dollar systems.

My baseline was 132.9 STD (not SAE) on their dyno. So, you think I might pick up an additional 7whp or 8whp if I am lucky?

03 titanium 954
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-20-2003, 5:36 PM Thread Starter

Well, I attempted to install it last night and was supposed to have it dynoed, but things definitely didn't go as planned. *Iv'e always heard that fitment was an issue, but damn I never thought it was this horrible. *Primary is resting on the radiator without having the support bracket installed. *If i put the bolt through the radiator support bracket, I would actually have to move the radiator back towards the block about an 1/8 of an inch. *Not going to happen because the header's primary. *Also the K&N oil filter touches the lower part of the primary. *Looks like I have to drop the exhaust everytime i change the oil now. *I also have a nice exhaust leak right where the primary meets the motor. *Probably a gasket issue.

I took it back to the shop where I was purchased it from and the guy who ordered it was going to let me return it and get something else, but the owner said 'No'. *He wants me to let the shop try and reinstall and make some modifications to help the fit.

So, now my bike is out for at least 4 days and I am on a searching mission to find threads about what you all have done to work around this f'n exhaust......

03 titanium 954
post #3 of 12 Old 09-20-2003, 5:52 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I also have a Hindle high mount full system. One of the primary tubes is touching the radiator, but the rest have about 1/16 to 1/8 inch of clearance. I have about 1/4 inch or a little more of clearance from my OEM oil filter to the primary headers. I can change the oil filter without removing the headers. Hopefully you can work out the clearance issues, because the Hindle is not that bad of a system.

On the horsepower aspect, I dyno'd 142 rwhp / 69.9 rwtq on a custom map.

Good luck,

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-20-2003, 5:55 PM

Toss the K&N oil filter, it was never considered in the design of any aftermarket system. Most people have been able to modify the radiator mount with a zip tie without any problem. I made a very simple aluminum strap (2' long with 2 holes drilled in it) to move the radiator out away from the headers.

Did you replace the exhaust gaskets during the install? Hindle recommends this and it can avoid some of the symptoms you are having.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-24-2003, 9:48 PM Thread Starter

03 titanium 954
post #6 of 12 Old 10-29-2005, 8:37 AM

I am installing the same system now I put in new gaskets but not sure how i was suppose to torque them down.I tightened them untill it felt like i compressed the gaskets and came to a stop than just a touch more.
I also found my header to be touching my oil filter will this be a problem?
post #7 of 12 Old 10-29-2005, 11:06 AM

Reputation Power: 16

The header should not touch the filter. I have enough clearance just to barely get it out when I change the oil. I do have to loosen the bolt(passenger peg) on the exhaust cannister and that gives it just enough play to remove the filter.

My 954 made 143 hp with the Hindle. I bought the bike with the system installed.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-29-2005, 11:16 AM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

just to save you some searching, from what I've read you just bolt it all up loosely, giggle it around till it fits up like it should, then tighten all the bolts down.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-29-2005, 11:54 AM

My full Hindle system does not touch the oil filter, but when the filter is changed out...it will just rub the header. I had to go back to using the Honda genuine filter for the best fit.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-29-2005, 1:35 PM

Well I have the entire system installed and it looks sounds and runs great but I only have about a 32nd of an inch maybe between the pipe and the filter.Originaly it was pushed up against the filter but I lostened the rear peg mount and pushed it forward a bit but it is still just about touching.Am I going to have a problem with heating the oil too much or burning the filter? I am not worried about oil changes all you really have to do is remove the rear peg bolt,pop the springs and the entire system will slide off the mounts enough to get the filter out.The filter on it now is a KEM replacemant,are the geniune honda or any other filters smaller?
post #11 of 12 Old 10-29-2005, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonno
The filter on it now is a KEM replacemant,are the geniune honda or any other filters smaller?
Honda has two different size filters for the 954 and 929,one is about 1/4" shorter than the other.The smaller one is pt# 15410-MCJ-003.Check yours,it might be the longer one.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-03-2005, 8:10 AM

oem filter is on and all is well I just need to get rid of a bit of exhaust leak now than go get her to the dyno.Should I pin the flapper down before dyno runs?Had no problems at all with FI lights thanks to all the good comments!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page