Setting up Suspension on 954rr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-21-2003, 1:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Re: Setting up Suspension on 954rr

How many people here setup their suspension, and how many people leave it stock. If you can give me height, weight, settings, and track/road usage that would be kudos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-21-2003, 1:55 AM

Reputation Power: 0

well i am two hundred ten pounds . i cranked the front pre load all the way, and click the back around daily depends on if i am solo or two up
post #3 of 10 Old 08-21-2003, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Lets leave all the settings alone for now. Until I get a reponse. When you have someone on deck. What do you add to the rear and where. And what is it stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-21-2003, 12:29 PM

I am a bit on the heavy side as well, 190 to 200 lbs.

On my 929 or 954, I was too heavy for the front, So I had to put all the preload that I could on the front, because of this I als backed the Rebound off so that it would not kick back so hard and the Compression was a little past stock so that it would not dive as fast.

I found the rear shock did not have much feed back on the Compression and Rebound, I had the Preload at 6 of seven I think.

Hope this helps, keep in mine that suspension settings are very personal and should cater to your riding style. I have tried magazines settings like Performance Bikes and have not liked them.

The way I was tough to play with the settings is to keep a log and go from extreem to exteem untill you find a middle ground

Example, If Pre Load is 1 to 10, Try 1 then 10, if you like 10 better, try 5 the 10, if 5 is better try 5 then 7.5 etc. This will take time and there are more variable than just preload.

Happy Tuning
Purp
post #5 of 10 Old 08-21-2003, 12:35 PM

Reputation Power: 31

The first thing to do is set the sag as close as possible. The front should be around 30mm, I think, and the rear around 28mm. It may not be possible to set it for your weight, as the front forks only have a .75 spring in them. If you weigh over 150 or so, that spring is too light. If you search, you'll find lots of good info on setting sag, then perhaps changing the compression and rebound.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-21-2003, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Purpdust : I am a bit on the heavy side as well, 190 to 200 lbs.

On my 929 or 954, I was too heavy for the front, So I had to put all the preload that I could on the front, because of this I als backed the Rebound off so that it would not kick back so hard and the Compression was a little past stock so that it would not dive as fast.

I found the rear shock did not have much feed back on the Compression and Rebound, I had the Preload at 6 of seven I think.

Hope this helps, keep in mine that suspension settings are very personal and should cater to your riding style. I have tried magazines settings like Performance Bikes and have not liked them.

The way I was tough to play with the settings is to keep a log and go from extreem to exteem untill you find a middle ground

Example, If Pre Load is 1 to 10, Try 1 then 10, if you like 10 better, try 5 the 10, if 5 is better try 5 then 7.5 etc. *This will take time and there are more variable than just preload.

Happy Tuning
Purp
What do you mean by 6 of 7. Do you wind it so the rings go all the way down and end up with only one ring left. Something like that.

Do you even mess with the compression or rebound?

I dont want to mess with sag too much, because I dont have anyone to help me lift bike, measure drop, tie this. Or spanner wrench the rear. Dont want to end up jacking it up too much.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-21-2003, 3:12 PM

Quote:
just_john : I dont want to mess with sag too much, because I dont have anyone to help me lift bike, measure drop, tie this. *Or spanner wrench the rear. *Dont want to end up jacking it up too much.
Dude, to do it right you have to start with the sag. Otherwise, why bother? You can do the front by yourself if you have an automotive jack that you can lift one end of the bike with. You may need one wife/girlfriend/buddy for the rear...

try this:

and this:

Enjoy

2002 954 Full Ohlins, Galfer Wave Front Rotors, Scotts Damper, MIG High Mount, 16/45 520 Conversion...Sweeeeet

1996 CBR600F3 Smokin Joe's Edition
Gets good MPG...
post #8 of 10 Old 08-21-2003, 5:02 PM

By 6 of 7 I mean one down from the top ( the Most pre load)

Adjusting the Preload does adjust the sag, when setting your preload (Sag) you have to keep in mind the type of roads/tracks you are one and your riding style. So if the roads are smooth you do not need as much sag, like Hondagirl stated, 30mm is good for general steet riding street.
What you do not want to do is make it so hard that your weight does not drop the suspension enough and you will hit full extention when you are rebounding.

Cheers
post #9 of 10 Old 08-22-2003, 1:17 AM

Well, I've had my little Performance Bikes Set-Up Manual for a few months but no scanner. Going to my client's office tomorrow to scan in the popular Honda models I see here on the forum. I can scan and post any model listed in here, just make a request.

EDIT: Better yet, e-mail me directly with your requests.

post #10 of 10 Old 08-22-2003, 2:48 AM Thread Starter

Like the 954

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page