A story about brakes failing - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-16-2003, 4:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: A story about brakes failing

Last week hubby and I went to Ireland to watch the famous road racing called the NW200. *The trip was arranged by Ondablade and friends and proto came with us too.

Before we went I had bled the brakes on my 929 and they were rock solid and working really well. Last Friday we were tourists in and around Northern Ireland which of course involved finding lovely fast roads (no police) and trying to keep up with our Irish friends. *I was very glad of my nice newly serviced brakes on more than one occasion.

On Saturday morning we went out to watch the races. *We left the caravan park where we were staying, I pulled on the lever............no braking power. *Jumped off the bike. * Brake fluid leaking rapidly out of the fittings at the bottom of the lines.

All the bike shops within 50 miles were shut because they were all at the races. *We found this out by riding to each one, me with rapidly decreasing brake power.

Our Irish friends somehow got into the paddock and went round asking if anyone could help us out and yes, a lovely man called Norman fitted new lines for me at 7pm at night in a cold damp Irish field, for the price of the the lines and a pint of Guiness. *He said the lines that I had on should never have been fitted by the shop as they are known to fail in this way

My big thanks to Proto who stayed with hubby and I all day, rode in front of me to try and protect me from needing to use my brakes in a hurry, and was an enormous help to me in the paddock when we finally got there. *Many thanks also to Ondablade for organising the repair and generally for organising a wonderful trip.

Pics taken by Proto attached. *The first one is of the mad Irish road racers doing impossible speeds between peoples gardens, and the second is proof that the brake lines were removed!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-16-2003, 4:09 AM Thread Starter

and the other attachment..........
post #3 of 18 Old 05-16-2003, 4:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

glad to hear it turned out ok, and most importantly, that the brakes didn't fail in an emergency stop

Good to here, also, that there are still some good hearted people out there

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-16-2003, 4:56 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Quote:
thedoctor : He said the lines that I had on should never have been fitted by the shop as they are known to fail in this way
Glad it worked out OK! What were the brakelines that failed? I want to make sure I never buy any.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-16-2003, 5:54 AM Thread Starter

The lines were Goodridge, no problem there *but it was the fitting into the banjos that were the problem. *I now have proper *nicely crimped ones made by a proper nice race mechanic with proper nice race fluid in the system.

The events certainly added a je ne sais quoi (French ) to our trip but as Proto says it was a teensy bit stressful too, especially when we were so close to that 40 ton truck you can see which was slipping all over the place in the mud right next to where we were working.

Great trip though

post #6 of 18 Old 05-16-2003, 9:28 AM

Wow, sounds like a great adventure. I'm sure you'll remember it for years with a laugh over beers a pint.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-16-2003, 9:38 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Nice pics....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #8 of 18 Old 05-16-2003, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Yes, I agree, nice piccies

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #9 of 18 Old 05-16-2003, 4:55 PM

Quote:
thedoctor : The lines were Goodridge, no problem there *but it was the fitting into the banjos that were the problem. *I now have proper *nicely crimped ones made by a proper nice race mechanic with proper nice race fluid in the system.

The events certainly added a je ne sais quoi (French ) to our trip but as Proto says it was a teensy bit stressful too, especially when we were so close to that 40 ton truck you can see which was slipping all over the place in the mud right next to where we were working.

Great trip though
Nice pics doctor.Can you elaborate on the problem with your brake lines. I just bought Goodridge lines for my bike and your story scares me.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-16-2003, 5:02 PM

A pint of Guiness?

I think you overpaid him

post #11 of 18 Old 05-16-2003, 5:07 PM

They took this pic as well. This is the Joey Dunlop memorial.

post #12 of 18 Old 05-16-2003, 6:03 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Quote Can you elaborate on the problem with your brake lines.

If Jan doesn't mind I'll try and answer this.

Goodridge do two types of brake lines, at least here in the UK.The first type tends to be sold in bike specific kits. I.E. you phone up and specify 3 line Fireblade kit and they supply hoses of the correct length, with specific angled banjos and the hoses will be swaged onto the banjo fittings in the correct orientation.

The second type are more of a 'make it up as you need it' type. Hose is cut to length from bulk supply. Banjos are threaded at the hose end and joined to the hose by special nut with conical seat. Fairly typical hydraulic type fiiting. Nothing in *theory wrong with this and I've got the same type on my Honda Hornet 600, and certainly no problem with that.

Jan's lines appeared to be leaking between the hose and the nut somewhere, can't be very specific. The nuts were tight onto the banjo, banjo bolt was tight into the caliper but fliud was seeping back up the hose from the nut/banjo joint somewhere.

So don't really know what went wrong but in future I would always spec the swaged type. I recently fitted Earl's hoses on my Blade and they are swaged. I put Goodridge on my RVF400 and they were also swaged and were very high quality.

Goodridge tend to use metric hexagon banjo bolts which I prefer. Earl's use Imperial A/F sizes. Other than that not sure there is anything to choose bewteen them.

Picture below of a Joey Dunlop RC45 hanging up in his pub in Ballymoney. There was an RC30 as well. Cool eh!

post #13 of 18 Old 05-16-2003, 6:05 PM

Proto? I thought we banned you
post #14 of 18 Old 05-16-2003, 9:28 PM

Reputation Power: 24

glad all turned out well for you in the end

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

post #15 of 18 Old 05-17-2003, 6:59 AM

Thanks Proto, You eased my worries. That is a cool Pic. Really ashame what happened to Joey. Hell of a Racer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page