friend in dire need of rc51 setup baselines - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-22-2003, 6:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: friend in dire need of rc51 setup baselines

Hello, I know you might be asking why the hell I'm posting this on a fireblade site, but it's cause I love you guys and even have faith in many of you. Anyway, my friends rc looks to be showing 3/4inch from the bottom of the frork cap(seal area) to the top of the triple. Looks like a lot to me but, i just know a little about 929's. then even with the compression all the way out, and the preload backed pretty far out the front still feels very firm. I can hardly get it to move when I put my skinny 155lbs ass on it. think somone swapped springs? What numbers should we be aiming for as to sag measurements? ANyway, this bike is a mess with it's very worn sprockets, front tire and squared off rear tire, and seemingly horrible suspension settings. but it did show some promise, on a very short ride. No hope of impressing me with speed or power, but maybe something will be praise worthy after some wrenchin'
THANKS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-22-2003, 6:06 PM

http://geremy.speedyard.net/suspension_settings.htm
post #3 of 5 Old 08-23-2003, 12:12 AM

No hope for impress of speed. Find a strip run him side by side. It is a different power. Takes some getting used to. Sounds like it was set up for a tubby. If you cant get close to 28-30 mm of front sag find a set of stock springs. The stockers are actually a little stiff on an rc, as opposed to weak on a 954 (hmmmmm I wonder why? Booth? J/K I know why). I am sure there are plenty of rc owners willing to part with thier stockers for dirt cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-26-2003, 4:26 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to G-Man

No, the stock front springs on RC51's are not two stiff; they are too soft. *Honda in it's infinite wisdom thinks all RC51 riders weigh <140 lbs (like their Japanese test pilots). *The real problem is the app. 10mm negative preload and the hassles of a top-out spring in the 02/03 models. *At a 155 lbs you may be able to get the preload set correctly but not likely.

To make matters worse, the rear shock is sprung and damped for two-up riding.

The easiest and most inexpensive fix for the fupped-up front end is to add a 10 mm spacer to netralize out the negative preload. *If you are not comfortable enough doing the work yourself or do not already have a suspension guy you trust implicitly then box both forks up and send the to Dan Kyle who will not only install a spacer, polish up the sliders and correct Honda's joke of a shim stack but will install the correct springs for your weight and riding style. *$330 without springs, a $100 additional if you need springs.

post #5 of 5 Old 08-26-2003, 4:31 PM

Over 200 lbs on the '02/'03, you won't need new springs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page