Racetech forks coming off ground? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-09-2006, 2:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Racetech forks coming off ground?

Hello,

I bought my 2000 929 with racetech valves and springs installed in the front forks. After I took the front forks off for a seal rebuild (done at a Honda dealership), I put them back on and noticed something strange:

Whenever I hold on the front brake (at a standstill) and push the suspension down and then pull it up hard, the front wheel actually hops off the ground a bit! I've done this "test" on both my other bikes, and the front wheel never actually came off the ground. I'm wondering if this is due to a unique weight distribution in the 929, if its a by-product of the racetech mod, or, if when I put the forks back on the bike, I torqued something incorrectly (I don't have a torque wrench) and the forks are binding somehow.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-09-2006, 2:38 PM

Re: Racetech forks coming off ground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin
Hello,

I bought my 2000 929 with racetech valves and springs installed in the front forks. After I took the front forks off for a seal rebuild (done at a Honda dealership), I put them back on and noticed something strange:

Whenever I hold on the front brake (at a standstill) and push the suspension down and then pull it up hard, the front wheel actually hops off the ground a bit! I've done this "test" on both my other bikes, and the front wheel never actually came off the ground. I'm wondering if this is due to a unique weight distribution in the 929, if its a by-product of the racetech mod, or, if when I put the forks back on the bike, I torqued something incorrectly (I don't have a torque wrench) and the forks are binding somehow.

Any thoughts?
Depending on just how hard you are "pulling it up hard", that doesn't sound right to me at all. It could possibly be caused by rotational misalignment on the upper and lower triples, incorrect procedure used for tightening the front axle or anything else in the "chain of events" required when reassembling the front end.

I suspect you may have the bottoms of the tubes pinched (or spread) by not following a standard procedure for tightening the axle clamping bolts.

You need to keep the bike on the front stand during the entire procedure. To eliminate any binding from the stand, I recommend a full front stand or hang the bike from the rafters (since you had the forks off the bike, I'm assuming you have a means to hold the bike up without using the forks).

Since I no longer have a 929, I forget which side you tighten first, but you put all the pieces together without tightening the pinch bolts or axle bolt. Tighten the pinch bolts on the side the axle bolt goes in, finger tighten the axle bolt then with the front end still off the ground, spin the front wheel and hit the front brakes. Do this a couple of times and then tighten the pinch bolts on the other side. Now torque down the axle bolt.

This aligns the wheel and fork legs to the axle center and prevents the axle from being overtightened and the forks from being out of line.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-09-2006, 3:48 PM

Reputation Power: 16

It's not the forks topping out is it ?

If the RaceTech springs are quite heavy to match your weight (or the guy's weight you bought the bike off) and the rebound damping is set very light I could see how a frontend might po-go off the ground with a little extra help from you yanking on the bars...sounds pretty extreme though !

What weight oil did you specify after the seal replacement ?

Fair chance something is out of whack as Abtech suggests, so he's giving you good advice - the workshop manual suggests tightening the axle bolt first, then the right-side pinch bolts, then bouncing the frontend up and down, then the left-side pinch bolts, I guess while the pinch bolts are only finger tight the suspension is able to twist slightly which will allow it to find it's own alignment using Abtech's method (which is pretty much what I do - even when the bike comes back from the shop after having a new tyre fitted !).

Torque settings are 78 N-m for the axle bolt, and 22 N-m for the pinch bolts.

Cheers, Spanky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-09-2006, 6:05 PM

Perhaps, If the suspension is not returning/extending you may have fecked up the install of the rebound circuit and may have full rebound operating causing it to not allow rapid enough return??? Just a thought!
post #5 of 14 Old 02-09-2006, 6:27 PM

Both of these are good suggestions and are certainly worth looking into if realigning the axle/fork tube relationship doesn't help. I guess I am more optimistic about someone putting a set of forks back together correctly than I should be.

If I were a dealer, I wouldn't let anyone touch suspension components unless they had attained a journeyman level and taken the appropriate classes from the individual manufacturers.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-09-2006, 6:52 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
If I were a dealer, I wouldn't let anyone touch suspension components unless they had attained a journeyman level and taken the appropriate classes from the individual manufacturers.
Yeah, right? My forks need lighter springs and servicing...cleaning, new oil, etc. and they're on their way to Dan K. as we speak. Pathetic that I can't find anyone locally that I trust to take my forks apart and clean them.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-10-2006, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
Yeah, right? My forks need lighter springs and servicing...cleaning, new oil, etc. and they're on their way to Dan K. as we speak. Pathetic that I can't find anyone locally that I trust to take my forks apart and clean them.
That's one of the reasons I'm not a motorcycle dealer. I couldn't afford the people I would hire . . .
post #8 of 14 Old 02-10-2006, 7:54 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
That's one of the reasons I'm not a motorcycle dealer. I couldn't afford the people I would hire . . .
I hear ya!
post #9 of 14 Old 02-10-2006, 11:21 AM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Hey Stig I got this great career opportunity for you, working under me.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-10-2006, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE
Hey Stig I got this great career opportunity for you, working under me.
Yep, Stig, Dan, Jeff . . . I'd have the sweetest suspension shop in Fowlerville
post #11 of 14 Old 02-21-2006, 5:57 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Have you checked to see if they actually put oil back in them? I 've heard of shops doing worse.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-21-2006, 6:04 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Yep, Stig, Dan, Jeff . . . I'd have the sweetest suspension shop in Fowlerville
but just think of the crowds during the Melon Festival

Must obey the sheep dog
post #13 of 14 Old 02-21-2006, 8:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses everyone, most helpful.

It turned out to be the first, and simplest thing I tried. The preload was cranked all the way down, let it out to 6 (of 10) and it sat much lower in its suspension range and as a result, wont come off the ground anymore.

Hooray for easy fixes!
post #14 of 14 Old 02-21-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
but just think of the crowds during the Melon Festival
The melon festival is in Howell, and we don't let anyone from Howell into Fowlerville. Ever.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page