good and bad day for tires - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-22-2003, 7:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: good and bad day for tires

The good: I got a new front tire installed this morning. I took 'em the tire (the wheel was still on the bike) and they only charged me $35 total. Not too shabby compared to what I've heard others charge.

The bad: I get my bike home and change the oil with plans of a tire scrub-in session dancing in my head. But wait, I find a screw in my back tire! I'm paranoid about this sort of thing, i.e. I don't patch motorcycle tires, so now I 'have to' buy a new rear tire.

But more good: AZMotorsports has 190/50 Pilot Sports for $139. So I guess it could have been worse.
Besides, if that's the worst thing that happened to me today, I'd say I'm in pretty good shape!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-22-2003, 8:57 PM

Patch that tire it'll be just fine
post #3 of 5 Old 08-23-2003, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

I'm sure it will, especially since it's near the center and not the side. But I just won't be as comfortable on a patched tire, and I don't want that in the back of my mind the whole time I'm riding. It's just a personal preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-24-2003, 12:46 AM

I agree with you, I would never ride on a patched tire. I have yet to find a Z rated patch/plug or any other repair method. Keep in mind that you are dealing with radials, so you have not only a compromise in the integrity of the sealing capabilities, but you have also compromised the integrity of the belt. if the belt did not need to have material in that spot, it would not be there.

Then you need to consider the expansion/contraction qualities of the repair material versus the tire. Will a heat cycle for the tire have the same effect on the material it was repaired with? I am not a rubber engineer of any sort, but I would bet not. I am wiiling to put a lot of trust in the engineers and developers of the Pilot Sports, but my life is worth more to me than the price of a brand new tire.

Go ahead and feel good about replacing that tire and doing the right thing for yourself, your loved ones, and your bike.

Once you are done with it, post the old one with a repair done to it, with no warranty, on www.sportbikes.net or on www.stuntlife.com for some stunter to buy for 25-50 bucks. (the going rate) These guiys are always looking for good burnout tires/cheap 'stunnin' tires'.

post #5 of 5 Old 08-26-2003, 7:07 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via Yahoo to BushrodW

Quote:
Serial Thriller :
>the screw
Well, POO....I hate that.

>$139
Damm....that's one hell've a price. I need tires so will go There ASAP for investigation.

>that's the worst, etc....
What a good attitude by the way. If I can learn from that then maybe won't need that anger management class .

Bushrod

www.AirAmericaRadio.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page