Oil on the frame slider bolt. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-23-2003, 6:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Re: Oil on the frame slider bolt.

I was changing my oil today and noticed a little bit of oil on the end of the right frame slider bolt. I removed it and there was oil in the hole. I had remembered someone else had the same thing but there's nothing conclusive in the old thread. It appears that the threads on the right side forward engine mount are machined close enough to the camchain galley that they actually are letting oil into the threads. I checked carefully for cracks and cleaned and inspected the hole but nothing looks wrong. I definitely am using the proper bolt and they are torqued to spec. I smeared a little silicone on the bolt and reinstalled it. Now I'm crossing my fingers.

Another great site to visit.

Throw off those chains of reason and your prison disappears...Peart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-23-2003, 10:05 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Dang, that sounds a little creepy. Never noticed that on mine when I did the sliders. Maybe if the bolt was just a tad too long I'd heard it could penetrate a galley but I just assumed it would be water, not oil.

Maybe your valve cover is leaking!??!! Sounds all very strange. I hope someone else can shed some light on this.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-24-2003, 12:26 AM

Mine was the same on one side, I wouldn't worry about it. There must be an oil passage around that area and it is creeping into the threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-24-2003, 12:51 AM

Yep, same deal here. The right slider has oil in the bolt hole. I took mine into the shop and had them look at it and they didn't really find anything. They are a fairly decent shop so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-24-2003, 3:09 PM Thread Starter

I stopped by the shop in Oakland yesterday and the tech there also said don't worry about it. I feel better now.

Another great site to visit.

Throw off those chains of reason and your prison disappears...Peart
post #6 of 6 Old 08-24-2003, 6:15 PM

Same here, slight oil on the bolt (no slider installed) and I've had it checked a few times (so it's on record) they could find nothing wrong. So it looks like a design flaw but considering the oil is so little and appears to make no difference to pressure I'd ignore it.

I must say though I notice if I I spend more time at higher revs then there is a little more oil (still only enough to wet a finger tip) after say 500km or so. So it's pressure relief valve !!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page