avon 45/46s - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-24-2003, 9:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: avon 45/46s

hi. im a newbie to the posting part but have been reading and learning from the org. for awhile now!!! just wandering about the avons i dont hear much about them and im about to buy a set of tires i have pilot sprorts now and like them alot but i can get a real good deal on the avons, advise please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-24-2003, 9:51 PM

Reputation Power: 18

So far I have almost 2k on my AV 45/46 and definately recommend them. *I rode a little over 400 miles yesterday and got to use them in the rain for the first time. *Other than stepping out on a wet mid corner tar snake they were great. *

Where are you in Alabama? *I'll be moving to Montgomery soon.

Craig
post #3 of 13 Old 08-24-2003, 10:02 PM

They get a lot of praise from the sport-touring crowd, and are apparently pretty sticky in addition to giving excellent mileage.

They'll be the next set of tires going on my 954 - I've already got a set waiting at the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-24-2003, 10:30 PM

Quote:
2OHOH2954 : I've already got a set waiting at the shop.
Oh yeah!? Well mine are sitting out in my garage already.

Seriously, they are seemingly outstanding tires. There have been a couple other threads you might want to look over, this one being the most recent.

Btw, welcome, kellyu.

LINK
post #5 of 13 Old 08-25-2003, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Chain : Quote (2OHOH2954 @ Aug. 24 2003, 9:02pm)I've already got a set waiting at the shop.
Oh yeah!? Well mine are sitting out in my garage already. *
'Oh yeah!?' Well, I'm simply not quite done squeezing mileage out of my current set, with 7.5K on the rear, and 16K on the front, and a total of 11K just since April

post #6 of 13 Old 08-25-2003, 10:52 AM

Quote:
2OHOH2954 : Quote (Chain @ Aug. 24 2003, 9:30pm)Quote (2OHOH2954 @ Aug. 24 2003, 9:02pm)I've already got a set waiting at the shop.
Oh yeah!? Well mine are sitting out in my garage already. *
'Oh yeah!?' Well, I'm simply not quite done squeezing mileage out of my current set, with 7.5K on the rear, and 16K on the front, and a total of 11K just since April

Were it not for the fact I know you (owner of the only Givi'ed 954 known to exist), I'd accuse you of riding like old people phuck, hence, the unbelievable mileage you've got on the old rubber. Good god man, that's outstanding mileage. But you ARE something of a 'sport tourist' or I think that mileage would be unattainable. Yes? No?

I've decided to torture my Pilot Sports a little bit more before I shod my '54 with my new Avons. I'm 30 miles shy of 4,000 with yesterday's attempts to keep a Suzuki Hayabusa in view during a morning sortie and so long as I don't get caught in the rain, I think I'm gonna let those wear bars get ground down before I replace the rubber.

Question: I'm not going to go down to the steel belts before replacement, but is the above a bad idea? Are there safety implications?
post #7 of 13 Old 08-25-2003, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Chain : Were it not for the fact I know you (owner of the only Givi'ed 954 known to exist), I'd accuse you of riding like old people phuck, hence, the unbelievable mileage you've got on the old rubber. Good god man, that's outstanding mileage. But you ARE something of a 'sport tourist' or I think that mileage would be unattainable. Yes? No?

I've decided to torture my Pilot Sports a little bit more before I shod my '54 with my new Avons. I'm 30 miles shy of 4,000 with yesterday's attempts to keep a Suzuki Hayabusa in view during a morning sortie and so long as I don't get caught in the rain, I think I'm gonna let those wear bars get ground down before I replace the rubber.

Question: I'm not going to go down to the steel belts before replacement, but is the above a bad idea? Are there safety implications?
Yeah, besides the one Givi used to take pics as their model

I got 12.5K out of my Pilot rear once (down to 1/4' wide band of steel), on the set that came with the 929, while the front from the same set was only about half worn, so it would've been conceivably good well past 20K.

In my wear-them-down experience, I'd say the only real considerations are a) either avoiding the rain or riding slower in the wet and b) knowing that the tire will be a little more squared-off. I haven't lost traction on a nearly/bald tire myself, so I say, go for it
post #8 of 13 Old 08-26-2003, 8:46 AM Thread Starter

thanks fellows for the advice and avons it will be thats unbelievable mileage! skully i live in gadsden but i will be up your way october 4th and 5th for the prostar race that weekend send me a post and we'll ride sometime!
post #9 of 13 Old 08-26-2003, 9:05 AM

Quote:
2OHOH2954 : In my wear-them-down experience, I'd say the only real considerations are a) either avoiding the rain or riding slower in the wet and b) knowing that the tire will be a little more squared-off. I haven't lost traction on a nearly/bald tire myself, so I say, go for it
Well, we know of course that street tires and race tires are different compounds and tread patterns. The thing is, if you take a street tire like we have and run it long enough to wear down the tread to the point that the grooves and sipes are gone, you don't have a slick race tire that gives you gobs of dry road traction, you just have a worn out tire because all the rubber thickness that was there is gone and now you have a tire that is not as strong and not as thick and it cannot protect itself from intrusion and failure as well as it could.

An easy flat 100 miles from home is mostly what I'm worried about, but I have no clue how thick the rubber is in the center of the tire after you get to the tread bars.

post #10 of 13 Old 08-26-2003, 10:12 AM

My estimate: the wear bars are about 3mm high, add another 3-4mm to that, and there is an estimated 6-7mm of rubber left once you hit the wear bars. Good for 1K in my book
post #11 of 13 Old 08-26-2003, 10:57 AM

No way, once it breaks thru the rubber it's almost paper thin you would be shocked.
'Oh my god, I can't believe I rode on that tire!'
just wait till you get the old one off you'll see.

also be sure to get the new tires balanced it does make a difference.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-26-2003, 11:33 AM
ER

Quote:
Chain : I've decided to torture my Pilot Sports a little bit more before I shod my '54 with my new Avons. I'm 30 miles shy of 4,000 with yesterday's attempts to keep a Suzuki Hayabusa in view during a morning sortie and so long as I don't get caught in the rain, I think I'm gonna let those wear bars get ground down before I replace the rubber.
Just be careful on those things. I don't trust them at all after having a set step out on me and I don't think I'd ever put another set on a bike. They're great when warm but they take so long that (IMHO) it's often not possible to properly warm them up on the street.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-26-2003, 1:43 PM

Quote:
ER : They're great when warm but they take so long that (IMHO) it's often not possible to properly warm them up on the street.
The Sports (I agree) or the Avons (never heard of them being slippery)?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page