Question about warped rotors - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-27-2006, 7:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Question about warped rotors

So...I am pretty sure that my '96 Blade needs at least new pads, and I am nearly mechanically inept when it comes to motorcycles...okay, so my question is, how do I know if my rotors are warped?

Low speed braking is pretty grabby, and I do have to pull the lever in fairly far. The thing is, when I brake from higher speeds, I get a shuddering feeling.
Now, the bike tracks straight on its own, and I only get this feeling when braking.
Could it be that my rotors are warped?
Could it be my front tire?(it's a bit worn, but not too bad. The rear is pretty new)
Should I just shut up, leave you all alone and have the dealer inspect it?

Sorry for my sh*tty discription, but I am no mechanic, but I am learning.

Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-27-2006, 7:52 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: Question about warped rotors

The shuddering could be caused by the rotors, uneven tire wear, loose forks, etc. It's hard to diagnose without riding the bike. How many miles are on the bike? If possible, raise the front and spin the wheel and use a dial indicator against the rotor to determine runout. You could also remove the wheel and try checking the rotors with a straight edge.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #3 of 10 Old 02-27-2006, 10:49 PM

Reputation Power: 16

If you've got warped roters you should feel the front brake lever pulsing in and out as you are braking.

If it's just an indistinct shuddering, I'd check the steering head bearing adjustment first. If its loose, then it can move around when under pressure (like that caused by braking)...worth checking before you try to lift the front end of the bike to check for run-out in the rotors etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-27-2006, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, guys. When I pull her out of storage I'll check the tire wear, etc. and see what I can come up with. Oh, there is just over 22k on the bike

I only thought of the tire being a possibility since I had an issue with my car ('97 accord) where I thought the rotors were warped. It turned out that the front tires were unevenly worn. I probably should get a new front tire on my blade anyway...
post #5 of 10 Old 02-27-2006, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
If you've got warped roters you should feel the front brake lever pulsing in and out as you are braking.

If it's just an indistinct shuddering, I'd check the steering head bearing adjustment first. If its loose, then it can move around when under pressure (like that caused by braking)...worth checking before you try to lift the front end of the bike to check for run-out in the rotors etc.
The pulsing only happens when I brake from high speeds. I suppose that I should figure out how to do the aforementioned checks sometime this spring...
post #6 of 10 Old 02-28-2006, 4:27 PM

Is it a pulsing back through the brake lever, or a general shuddering felt through the handlebars ?

If it's through the lever - then you've got a warped rotor, but if its through the bars and feels like more of a shuddering than a pulse then I'd check the steering head bearing.

Play in the steering head bearing can be adjusted (in the first instance) by grabbing the C-spanner from your tool kit (the one for adjusting the pre-load on the rear shock) and checking how tight the big knurled nut is just under your top triple clamp (yoke) - (I know there is a torque setting for it but I'm buggered if I know how you are supposed to check that without special tools that allow the use of a torque wrench) - just do it up until its firm. Then check your steering from side to side to make sure you haven't over tightened it.

When my bike had around 25,000Kms on it I was surprised to find how loose this nut was - not much more than finger tight....I reckon its worth a check on yours anyway.

Cheers, Spanky.

Last edited by Spanky; 02-28-2006 at 4:34 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-28-2006, 4:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Is it a pulsing back through the brake lever, or a general shuddering felt through the handlebars ?

If it's through the lever - then you've got a warped rotor, but if its through the bars and feels like more of a shuddering than a pulse then I'd check the steering head bearing.

Play in the steering head bearing can be adjusted (in the first instance) by grabbing the C-spanner from your tool kit (the one for adjusting the pre-load on the rear shock) and checking how tight the big knurled nut is just under your top triple clamp (yoke) - (I know there is a torque setting for it but I'm buggered if I know how you are supposed to check that without special tools that allow the use of a torque wrench) - just do it up until its firm. Then check your steering from side to side to make sure you haven't over tightened it.

When my bike had around 25,000Kms on it I was surprised to find how loose this nut was - not much more than finger tight....I reckon its worth a check on yours anyway.

Cheers, Spanky.
It's through the bars, not the lever. I'll check that out when I pull her out (hopefully soon )
Thanks all for the responses

Last edited by deftones156; 02-28-2006 at 4:53 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-01-2006, 4:45 PM

Forgot to mention yesterday that you'll need to loosen the steering stem nut (on top of the top triple clamp) before you check the steering head bearing adjusting nut...

Torque settings are :

103Nm for the steering stem nut
29Nm for the adjusting nut
post #9 of 10 Old 03-01-2006, 5:43 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones156
It's through the bars, not the lever. I'll check that out when I pull her out (hopefully soon )
Thanks all for the responses
While you are at it, check the front wheel bearings. Depending on how rough your roads are, they might be due. About 25K is about as far as they will go riding roads around me.

Keep the faith, summer is coming soon ..... but not soon enough
post #10 of 10 Old 03-03-2006, 3:13 AM

Reputation Power: 0

I found my "warped rotor" problems yesterday by taking my front wheel off. One of the bearings was crunchy. A small puddle of water formed as I tapped the bearings out. At least I don't have to buy a new chain. I won't be changing tires in the rain anymore.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page