954 Airbox mods, ram air, air filter. What works? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-02-2006, 1:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954 Airbox mods, ram air, air filter. What works?

I have read various threads about 954 ram air and why it isn't worth the money. But I haven't read much about air box modifications or which air filter is the best flowing. I do already have exhaust and PCIII. Anybody got input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-02-2006, 1:59 AM
SPY

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to SPY Send a message via MSN to SPY Send a message via Yahoo to SPY
Re: 954 Airbox mods, ram air, air filter. What works?

There is no better Air filter than the stock Honda filter for the 954,

the only thing i have done to my airbox was I removed the "flapper Valve"
post #3 of 16 Old 03-02-2006, 2:23 AM Thread Starter

----------------------------------------------------------------------

What exactly does that flapper valve do? And what is the advantage to removing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-02-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysbiz

----------------------------------------------------------------------

What exactly does that flapper valve do? And what is the advantage to removing it?
There is no advantage to removing it as long as the stock exhaust with the HTEV system is intact, as they work together with the OEM fuel mapping for emissions control and power delivery characteristics. If you go with a full exhaust and PC111 then you can enhance the power delivery with air/fuel mapping and this is easier to do with the flapper out of the circuit.

Depending on what you are using the bike for, you can enhance the performance by modifying the OEM filter by removing the paper portion of the filter and remapping for the reduced air restriction. This would be for racing only, as the potential increased engine wear from running without air filtration is very high.

Regarding some type of ram air, again this would only really help in a racing scenario, as the cost to benefit ratio is pretty skewed for a real ram system.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-02-2006, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
There is no advantage to removing it as long as the stock exhaust with the HTEV system is intact, as they work together with the OEM fuel mapping for emissions control and power delivery characteristics. If you go with a full exhaust and PC111 then you can enhance the power delivery with air/fuel mapping and this is easier to do with the flapper out of the circuit.

Depending on what you are using the bike for, you can enhance the performance by modifying the OEM filter by removing the paper portion of the filter and remapping for the reduced air restriction. This would be for racing only, as the potential increased engine wear from running without air filtration is very high.

Regarding some type of ram air, again this would only really help in a racing scenario, as the cost to benefit ratio is pretty skewed for a real ram system.
I'm not sure I know what the HTEV system is. Can you explain? I just bought the bike from a guy in Cali. Right now I have a bolt on Two Brothers pipe, PCIII. A little further down the pipe is what looks like an O2 sensor with a wire coming up under the seat. The power commander site says that I need to use a little eliminator kit to bypass the sensor. I emailed them and this is what they said "
They plug into the wiring loom where the O2 sensor usually plugs in and will stop the bike trying to ‘correct’ the fuelling itself (allowing you full control of the fuel mapping with the power commander)

It’s not critical that you fit one, it’s just that if you don’t there is a ‘closed loop’ area in the fuel map that the power commander will have very little effect on, because the O2 sensor will override it."

I have heard that removing the stock headers, like the ram air, is not worth the minimal gain compared to the cost. I would like some opinions on that one. I had already planned in my budget to get a full system, but now I dont know.
I'm planning on putting the bike on the track for about 10 track days and maybe a few races. The rest of the time it will be on the street (I'm a wheelie addict). I just want to do a few things to it that will give it better performance without costing too much or getting too deep into the engine.

post #6 of 16 Old 03-02-2006, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Andy, the HTEV is the collector piece directly under the oil pan. If you have the OEM header, you have it. If you need help, I'll be at pretty much all MMP days. I also still have a factory service manual from when I had an '02 954 I will make you a deal on.
I'm just up the road from you in Lehi. You're not Johnny Law's pal Andy, are you?
post #7 of 16 Old 03-02-2006, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116
Andy, the HTEV is the collector piece directly under the oil pan. If you have the OEM header, you have it. If you need help, I'll be at pretty much all MMP days. I also still have a factory service manual from when I had an '02 954 I will make you a deal on.
I'm just up the road from you in Lehi. You're not Johnny Law's pal Andy, are you?
Yep thats me. "Bad Andy" as they started calling me. Whats your name?
Yes, I could definately use some help and a manual.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-02-2006, 12:12 PM

As BDA can tell you, the gains from a full exhaust system are more than minimal, especially if it's properly mapped with the PAIR system disabled. You will also get rid of the 02 sensor and can replace it with a resistor to keep the ECU happy. Removing the stock exhaust and the airbox flapper and replacing the exhaust with a good system will lose weight and add performance. You will also notice much better driveability in the lower RPM range with a good map and pipe.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-02-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysbiz
Yep thats me. "Bad Andy" as they started calling me. Whats your name?
Yes, I could definately use some help and a manual.
PM sent. I'm Brian, one of your old ARS instructors.
If you already have a full system budgeted, get one. Like Abtech said, you will see plenty of gain by properly tuning the bike to it.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-02-2006, 7:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
As BDA can tell you, the gains from a full exhaust system are more than minimal, especially if it's properly mapped with the PAIR system disabled. You will also get rid of the 02 sensor and can replace it with a resistor to keep the ECU happy. Removing the stock exhaust and the airbox flapper and replacing the exhaust with a good system will lose weight and add performance. You will also notice much better driveability in the lower RPM range with a good map and pipe.
Again my ignorance shows. What is the PAIR system?
When bypassing the O2 sensor, do I have to get the resistor that power commander sells? Or can just put anything in there to complete the circuit?
I have under $1k budgeted for upgrades on my bike. I would like to do the exhaust, air filter, already have PCIII, want to get shift star, slipper clutch would be nice but too expensive, quick shift kit maybe. Some of these items make the other items redundant I think. I would like input on what combinations of goodies people have tried and liked. Also which air filter has the highest flow while still saving my engine from undue wear? thanks
post #11 of 16 Old 03-02-2006, 7:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
PM sent. I'm Brian, one of your old ARS instructors.
If you already have a full system budgeted, get one. Like Abtech said, you will see plenty of gain by properly tuning the bike to it.
I heard that most of the gain is in the can itsself. I have a bolt on Two Brothers (nothing spectacular I know) . Is it really worth replacing the rest of the exhaust system? Which system would you recommend without draining the bank?
post #12 of 16 Old 03-02-2006, 10:52 PM

Yeah, you'll have to get the O2 sensor plug. Just part of dealing with 1 state bikes. Stick with the OEM filter, the others do nothing for gains. The best bang for the buck exhaust is the Hindle, not near as pricey as the Arata.
The PAIR is the system that takes a touch of fresh air from the airbox and inject it into the exhaust port to help emissions. It will give a false reading when tuning the bike unless plugged off. Might as well just remove it. No performance gains or losses, but it's worth a few pounds off the bike.
I'd skip the shift star, maybe do the spring and arm kit, but the star really isn't necessary.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-03-2006, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, you'll have to get the O2 sensor plug. Just part of dealing with 1 state bikes. Stick with the OEM filter, the others do nothing for gains. The best bang for the buck exhaust is the Hindle, not near as pricey as the Arata.
The PAIR is the system that takes a touch of fresh air from the airbox and inject it into the exhaust port to help emissions. It will give a false reading when tuning the bike unless plugged off. Might as well just remove it. No performance gains or losses, but it's worth a few pounds off the bike.
I'd skip the shift star, maybe do the spring and arm kit, but the star really isn't necessary.
Is the PAIR system clearly identified in the service manual? What is the price comparison between Hindle and Arata? Do you have a recommendation for a dealer to purchase the spring and arm kit? Does that kit have an official name?
post #14 of 16 Old 03-03-2006, 11:07 AM

Depending on where you get the Hindle, it can be as much as 500.00 less than the Arata. I would PM NHFirefighter13 and see if he still has a decent source. The price difference will vary with the bling factor. The aluminum cans are the cheapest (and the lightest weight) so you will pay more for TI or CF.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-03-2006, 11:28 AM

Andy, depending on your goals, if the budget is $1k, you might want to look into suspension first.

A slip on will give minimal gains, a full system will give 10HP or more if mapped for it, and will lose 10 pounds plus.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page