noob needs help...Should I buy a 929 as my first bike? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 105 Old 03-02-2006, 2:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

noob needs help...Should I buy a 929 as my first bike?

Sup All!! Im Kris from southern Ca and I was wondering if I should get a 00'' 929 as my first bike? Heres my long boring story...

Ive wanted a R1 since I first got my driving permit, I just never thought I'd own a bike for some reason so I never attemped to get one, and for the past few years Ive just been working on my nissan and putting off getting a bike. Well last weekend my long time friend and roomate(who's in the same situation as me) said lets go look for bikes and the hunt began. We didnt want to buy new because we didnt have any experience at all on a bike and we knew we were gonna go down sometime.

The shop we picked had a few choices of really nice bikes for sale, but 2 stood out. A 00' red and white 929 for 5300 and a 01' black and yellow gsxr600 for 4900, my roomate picked up the gsxr and I decided to do some research on the 929 before I bought,The bike itself has ALOT of miles on it, around 20,000, but its in great condition with just a few scratches and a ding in the stock exaust(want a micron anyway). all the lights and signals work. it even has 8k HIDs. the only thing is missing is the mirrors, wich worries me because it makes me think it was raced hard. The owner was cool enough to hold the bike for me till saturday, so i can make up my mind.
He also let me start it and listen for any knocking wich was non existent, I reved it up a little and sat to get a feel for it. It feels and is about the same size as the 600 wich makes me a bit more comfortable.

anyway, we had another friend of ours ride my roomates gsxr to his parents house and we spend about 8 hrs stright learning how to ride from him. that was the most fun Ive probly in years, now I have around 10 hrs TOTAL experience on a street bike (witch is nothing) but I have yet to fall, redline, or stall(couple mis-shifts though) .I think im starting off very well. Im addictected to it big time!! im finding myself on lunch breaks going to ride his bike and going back to work late.

I DONT have a permit yet, but im going on friday to go get it so I can be legal. I havent taken it on any busy street or intercections, just unpopulated strights.

I have a few days to decide so....yaaay or naaay?

ps these fotums kick azz... so much info!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 Old 03-02-2006, 6:10 AM

Reputation Power: 32

Re: noob needs help...Should I buy a 929 as my first bike?

First of all, take a motorcycle safety foundation course. Depending on your state, you can get licensed through them. Not that your friend doesn't know how to ride, but stats show that most accidents happen to folks who are either self-taught, or taught by friends when compared to those who have taken a safety course.

The 929, or any liter bike, is NOT a good choice for a beginner. There's exceptions, of course (like if maybe someone had a ton of dirt biking experience) but in general it's not a good idea. The modern 600s aren't a great idea either. You'll be much better off learning on something smaller and less powerful so you can focus more on technique and less on controlling all that horsepower. Good choices would be a Suzuki SV650, or Ninja 500. Or an older 600cc Honda, like an F2, F3. Plus you're gonna drop it when you're learning, so get something cheap. Get a lot of miles under your belt for a season or two, then move up. Good luck and welcome to the site! If you take it slow, and learn good habits, motorcycling can be a lifetime passion.
post #3 of 105 Old 03-02-2006, 8:34 AM
SPY

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to SPY Send a message via MSN to SPY Send a message via Yahoo to SPY

I would at least start on an old F3 or Gixxer 6.

Personally i started on a Gixxer 6 and went to a Gixxer 750 a couple years later. Then i moved up to a R1 and sold it 3 weeks later (could not afford Ins. in England). I did not ride for a few years after that and then i got an 1998 F3 (smokin Joes Ed.) to kinda learn on again, but realized it was not necessary and then sold it and bought my first 954.

The riders courses are really nice too I took the Beginners course a few years ago and i will be taking the Expierienced riders course here in a few weeks(required for USAF members)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 105 Old 03-02-2006, 8:57 AM

Oh yeah, and buy good gear. Get the best you can afford. Full face helmet, leather or cordura motorcycle jacket and pants, motorcycle boots (that are above the ankle) and gloves.
post #5 of 105 Old 03-02-2006, 9:25 AM

Nay.
post #6 of 105 Old 03-02-2006, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfirefighter13

Nay.
Is it a troll? From BK's site? The thought crossed my mind, but it was early!
post #7 of 105 Old 03-02-2006, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think you should walk upstaris and knock on mommy and daddy's door to ask their opinion.
Aside from that, go for it. Buy it and kill yourself. Less stupid questions to answer.
post #8 of 105 Old 03-02-2006, 11:25 AM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
First of all, take a motorcycle safety foundation course. Depending on your state, you can get licensed through them. Not that your friend doesn't know how to ride, but stats show that most accidents happen to folks who are either self-taught, or taught by friends when compared to those who have taken a safety course.

The 929, or any liter bike, is NOT a good choice for a beginner. There's exceptions, of course (like if maybe someone had a ton of dirt biking experience) but in general it's not a good idea. The modern 600s aren't a great idea either. You'll be much better off learning on something smaller and less powerful so you can focus more on technique and less on controlling all that horsepower. Good choices would be a Suzuki SV650, or Ninja 500. Or an older 600cc Honda, like an F2, F3. Plus you're gonna drop it when you're learning, so get something cheap. Get a lot of miles under your belt for a season or two, then move up. Good luck and welcome to the site! If you take it slow, and learn good habits, motorcycling can be a lifetime passion.
Agreed.

Dan
post #9 of 105 Old 03-02-2006, 2:42 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I'm going to have to go ahead and say...nay.
But, if you decide to get it anyway, ride safe and don't be a ham-fisted fcuktard.
post #10 of 105 Old 03-02-2006, 2:43 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9two9 noob
I was wondering if I should get a 00'' 929 as my first bike?

I have around 10 hrs TOTAL experience on a street bike

I DONT have a permit yet, but im going on friday to go get it so I can be legal. I havent taken it on any busy street or intercections, just unpopulated strights.
A whole 10 hrs limited riding experience?.............you should get a 250cc to learn on. Take a safety training class. And then, a year later, when you have around 500 hours riding experience in a variety of environments, you might want to upgrade to a more powerful machine.
post #11 of 105 Old 03-02-2006, 2:55 PM

Na...buy an 06 600rr and then sell it to me for $1500 after you wreck it.
post #12 of 105 Old 03-02-2006, 3:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRWANTR
Na...buy an 06 600rr and then sell it to me for $1500 after you wreck it.
post #13 of 105 Old 03-02-2006, 3:21 PM

pretty much what they al lsaid, i had an R6 as my first bike and 2 weeks into having it i had someone run up behind me when i was at a stop light, i panicked adn wrapped my wrist and dumped the clutch. next thing i know im seeing sky then my bike spinning away for mme smoking. i looped it pretty hard, no damage to me, but smashed my stator housing/stator/ and starter clutch to little pieces. its too much power for someone with little throttle control experience. take the MSF course for sure

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=CA

thats the Cali one, its a BLAST and well worth the money, and plz dont be a squid and ride in flip flops and a wife beater
post #14 of 105 Old 03-02-2006, 7:19 PM

Reputation Power: 14

I agree with taking a safety course first.

I started with a 600 Ninja for 2 years before i steped up to a 929. Listen to everyone on here and start smaller. A 929 is too much for a first timer. You'll be selling what few parts aren't damaged on Ebay within a month.
post #15 of 105 Old 03-02-2006, 7:32 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

I agree with what everyone else said about taking the msf course and getting a smaller bike and gear and stuff.

but if you do decide to get the 929, that mileage is nothing. Do a search on here, there's a bunch of mention of people doing over 60k even 70k miles. I had about 21k on mine when I destroyed it. Ran perfectly before it slammed into the ground spraying me and the earth with oil.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page