954 wont start.. cant do all tests.. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-02-2006, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954 wont start.. cant do all tests..

So before I had an intermittant problem w/ the 954 sputtering out and dying, then a few days later it would run fine for awhile and do the same thing all over again..

So I changed plugs, checked clearances, and changed to a stardard pc3r map.. but it did it to me again.

Last night I started the bike up, and it ran.. I shut it off and removed the pc3r ground cable to see if it acted like it did when it sputtered (And it did).. so I reterminated the ground cable.. reconnected it, and bike wouldnt start (battery was getting low @ this point)..

so i said screw it, undid the pc3r from the bike that should, if the ground cable was the problem, eliminate the problem altogether.. bike still wont start.. it cranks a few times and then battery is too low.

I did a voltage leak test, and a continuity test as per the service manual, but the other two electrical tests (charging, etc) require the engine running, which i cant do..

Anyone have any way they know of to do any other tests w/o getting the engine running? With the bike running, does it need the battery connected? i.e. could it be a charging issue thats making the bike die?

If i cant find any more info out im gonna have to take it up to the local honda shop, which goes totally against my fix-it-myself policies, but oh well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-05-2006, 11:52 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Re: 954 wont start.. cant do all tests..

Have the dealer check the rectifier. Sounds like what my bike did except it would run fine and then just not start. Then someone could push start me and it would ride fine for a while and then out of the blue be VERY hard top start and then not run. Just a thought.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-06-2006, 12:30 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chkaotic
If i cant find any more info out im gonna have to take it up to the local honda shop, which goes totally against my fix-it-myself policies, but oh well
The rectifier burnt out on my blade, I was given this link to help with the fault finding: http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfault.htm scroll down to phase C for the rectifier diagnosis.

It is from a Suzuki GS site, but the principles of the charging system and fault finding are common to all bikes.

If you need a replacement rectifier, consider getting it direct from Electrex in the UK. It turned out to be cheaper than buying from the US distributor and only took three days to get here. It is much better made than the OEM version.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 19

With not revving the bike above 3-4000rpm, you are not charging the battery. When I've short cycled the motor on my bike, I always seemed to end up with wet plugs. You really should give it a ride around the block if possible. On a side note, my PC3R has given me troubles (and still is) when trying to start the bike. I end up fouling plugs. If I unplug the timing part of the PC, it will start just fine. It is possible that you may have the same issue and may have fouled your plugs again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page