RaceTech Springs-929-cutting spacer - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 03-02-2006, 2:40 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

RaceTech Springs-929-cutting spacer

Hello all,
Awhile back I installed RaceTech springs in my bike (929) with great results. Since then I traded those forks for a set of DK forks which had Ohlins springs in it, but not for my weight. Because they were not the correct weight springs, I bought new RaceTech springs which I've installed. I tried emailing DK about the proper amount to cut off the spacers but did not get a response. I think I ended up cutting off too much even though I measured the stock spacer and springs then matched that to the RaceTech springs, but the front end is diving too much, therefor I don't think it was measured correctly. As mentioned earlier, when I installed my first set of springs, DK supplied me with the correct amount to be cut, and it felt perfect. A lot of story to get to the question...

Questions is, does anybody know how much needs to be cut off the spacer (per DK)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 03-02-2006, 2:45 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Re: RaceTech Springs-929-cutting spacer

I'm thinking it was 42mm? Haha, I just switched from Racetech springs to Ohlins springs...we should've traded spacers! Dan did them for me, so I'm assuming he put in new spacers...hope so at least! He ought to know he cut the others!

If he doesn't answer email, you'd have better luck calling him. Someone always answers!
post #3 of 41 Old 03-02-2006, 2:53 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

I appreciate the info. Perhaps someone else could verify the 42mm?

I know DK is quite busy so I hate to bother him (especially since I didn't buy the springs through him this time). I know he's helped me in the past, but I feel a bit guilty about getting free advice for a product not purchased through him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 03-02-2006, 3:26 PM

Reputation Power: 18

I believe RT specifies 20mm of preload. So what you do is measure from the inside lip of the fork cap to the end of the spacer with all parts in place. Then measure fron the top of the spring up the top of the fork with the fork extended. Then you do the math and see what you needed to do. Remember, people make these parts and they can be off by a few mm so don't just blindly cut off some amount.

So if you have 100mm of space in the fork and have 140mm of fork cap items, to get the 20mm of preload specified, you need to cut 20mm off the spacer. Good luck!

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #5 of 41 Old 03-02-2006, 4:46 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Also you may want to consider than in a batch of 20 identical RaceTech fork springs, I measured as much as 1/2" difference in unloaded length between the shortest and longest.

These need to be done one at a time in the tube they will be used in just the way Bob explained.

Last edited by abtech; 03-02-2006 at 5:21 PM.
post #6 of 41 Old 03-03-2006, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Excellent, thanks for the responses. Looks like a little time and patience. Only if I could find a set of used Ohlins....
post #7 of 41 Old 03-03-2006, 11:33 AM

Something else to think about regarding the front end dive is the oil level. Even with the correct spring and spacer combination, a lower oil level can let the front end dive too fast under hard braking, especially on a bumpy surface. I don't remember the OEM setting, but I experimented with 125 mm through 90 mm and ended up with ~100 mm using Showa 5 weight racing fluid. The forks worked very well and still didn't nose dive too much on the brakes.
post #8 of 41 Old 03-22-2006, 2:04 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Sorry for the threadjack, but this is related and I don't want to start a new thread for it. (Searched already)

When taking the preload spacer out to trim it, do you need to bleed the forks? I've seen fork bleeder tools and it just got me thinking. TIA.

...in my pants
post #9 of 41 Old 03-22-2006, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicCarrot
Sorry for the threadjack, but this is related and I don't want to start a new thread for it. (Searched already)

When taking the preload spacer out to trim it, do you need to bleed the forks? I've seen fork bleeder tools and it just got me thinking. TIA.
Not if you're careful and let the assembly drain back into the tube once it is up. Otherwise you may want to take the cart out and refresh your fluid and set the oil height at the same time.
post #10 of 41 Old 03-22-2006, 3:13 PM

Thanks. One more quick question. If the forks have already been "set-up" by Traxxion, and I feel the need to trim the preload spacers, does 3mm trimmed off equal 3mm of front ride height?

The problem is I don't have the stock spring and spacer to know how much to trim off. Any help is appreciated.

BTW, abtech, I ordered a spring compressor tool for reinstallation, thanks for the advice.

...in my pants
post #11 of 41 Old 03-22-2006, 3:34 PM

I don't think there is a one to one relationship between spacer length and ride height due to spring sag from the bike's weight. I would wager that someone has the OEM spring & spacer length specs floating around here someplace.
post #12 of 41 Old 03-22-2006, 5:27 PM

Ok, I feel like I've done some searching. Anyone have the measurement?

...in my pants
post #13 of 41 Old 03-22-2006, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicCarrot
Ok, I feel like I've done some searching. Anyone have the measurement?
Didn't you see this above??

So what you do is measure from the inside lip of the fork cap to the end of the spacer with all parts in place. Then measure fron the top of the spring up the top of the fork with the fork extended. Then you do the math and see what you needed to do. Remember, people make these parts and they can be off by a few mm so don't just blindly cut off some amount.

So if you have 100mm of space in the fork and have 140mm of fork cap items, to get the 20mm of preload specified, you need to cut 20mm off the spacer. Good luck!

CBR Bob
post #14 of 41 Old 03-22-2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob
Didn't you see this above??

So what you do is measure from the inside lip of the fork cap to the end of the spacer with all parts in place. Then measure fron the top of the spring up the top of the fork with the fork extended. Then you do the math and see what you needed to do. Remember, people make these parts and they can be off by a few mm so don't just blindly cut off some amount.

Hmm. Ok I misunderstood. I've never been inside a fork, so I'm having a little trouble grasping what you mean by "measure from the top of the spring up the top of the fork".

I think you mean, remove the preload spacer and then remove whatever is on top of the spring so you can see the actual spring. Then measure from the top of the actual spring under no load to the top of the fork rim.

So if that's the case, do I need to worry about air getting into the fork oil when the spring is exposed? Abtech, you told me to let it settle, but so should I just "set" the internals back on top of the spring while I go cut the spacer? Will 30min-1hr be enough time for these parts to "settle"?

The forks will be extended because it will be on a pitbull stand that lifts from the triples. Thanks again for the replies.

...in my pants
post #15 of 41 Old 03-22-2006, 11:00 PM

Measuring the springs has nothing to do with oil. You need to have all the parts in hand. If there is a washer on top of the spring, it needs to be in place. Measure from the top of that to the top of the tube. The measure from the point on the cap that meets the top of the tube to the place where the spring would seat to the spacer. Thats the free space. If it is actually negative, you need to cut the stock spacer to keep 20mm preload.

CBR Bob

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page