Motor problem, Need Help!!!! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-05-2006, 3:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Send a message via AIM to int76 Send a message via Yahoo to int76
Motor problem, Need Help!!!!

well the other day some how my oil filter came loose and leaked out about 3 quarts of oil which i was in such a hurry to get to work i didn't notice till the oil light came on. Anyway i am an idiot knowing better i kept going trying to make it to a gas station so i could get some oil and maybe determine the problem.

I got someone over there with a truck and i trailered it home. tightened up the filter and refilled the oil and the knocking stopped while at idle but when i took it around the block starting around 3k it will start to knock and get louder and louder.

Question: About how much would i be looking to rebuild the motor, i guess new bearings and wrist pins and not sure what in the head i would replace.

Any direction or help is greatly appreciate it.
oh and its a ****954****
thanks
justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-05-2006, 4:14 PM

Re: Motor problem, Need Help!!!!

Sorry to hear about your problem bro. These motors are nowhere near fragile in many respects when you think about the RPM they run. They are designed to be rung out and pushed hard.

However, a lack of oil tends to add a bit of a dent into the non-destructive behavior of the Honda engine.

Before I started tearing the motor apart I would first let a seasoned tech listen and take a look. In all honesty, I hope that it's something small - and cheap to repair.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-05-2006, 4:15 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

I guess you learned your lesson about running with no oil. It's hard to say how much the repairs will be until you tear it down and figure out what needs to be done

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-05-2006, 5:06 PM

Knocking is normally a rod bearing on the big end. With over a quart of oil still in the cases, I doubt you would have wasted the wrist pin bearings, but I would have everything that moves inside the motor checked before running it again.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-05-2006, 8:41 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 19

Ouch! I starved my motor of oil due to a clogged oil pickup. The result was having a bearing welded to a connecting rod. This meant a new connecting rod, not too mention the crank had to be redone. It gets pricey in a hurry. Hopefully you would be able to do this yourself to help reduce the cost? Pickup a factory Honda Service Manual, they do wonders!
post #6 of 10 Old 03-06-2006, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

ya, i plan on doing the rebuild my self, it idles fine with no knock but around 4k and on under a load it starts knocking / raddling (sp) pretty bad. i hate to say it cause every one here frowns upon it but it is my stunt bike so don't care about it being perfect.

thanks for the help guys
post #7 of 10 Old 03-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 19

If it's knocking now, it's only going to get worse in a short amount of time and eventually seize the whole motor up. If you were to fix it now instead of trying to keep riding it, you would probably greatly reduce extra damage that may occur.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-06-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by int76
i hate to say it cause every one here frowns upon it but it is my stunt bike so don't care about it being perfect.

thanks for the help guys
The only frowns around here come from people stunting in a public place in which others can get hurt. Stupidity is what is frowned upon.

I feel like this: If you want to stunt, and you enjoy it, great. Just keep it in a controlled environment. Don't claim your busted bike on your insurance. Be as safe as possible as far as gear goes.

I enjoy watching a good performance. However, I don't like to see a 12 O'Clock high-chair pass my car on the freeway with my family put at risk.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-06-2006, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

i haven't been riding it, only took it down the street and back once, have a another mint 954 to cruise. Guess will start this weekend end with tearing down the motor.

thanks
post #10 of 10 Old 03-06-2006, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom900
The only frowns around here come from people stunting in a public place in which others can get hurt. Stupidity is what is frowned upon.

I feel like this: If you want to stunt, and you enjoy it, great. Just keep it in a controlled environment. Don't claim your busted bike on your insurance. Be as safe as possible as far as gear goes.

I enjoy watching a good performance. However, I don't like to see a 12 O'Clock high-chair pass my car on the freeway with my family put at risk.
you are 100% right definetly keep it in a parking lot, don't like all the crazy stuff i like to challenge myself to get smoother and slower not to do anything crazy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page