Ummmm.... 954 Gurus??? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-06-2006, 8:23 AM Thread Starter
SPY

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to SPY Send a message via MSN to SPY Send a message via Yahoo to SPY
Ummmm.... 954 Gurus???

Hello guys and gals!

Ok here is the dealio, Since having the new 954 i have noticed A LOT of movement in the upper fairing. Well Yesterday ReaperAZ and I decided that we were pretty sure our last 954s did not move that much. Well we took the whole upper and headlight off and sure as **** in a bears fur, the upper fairing stay, where it bolts to the main fairing stay (3 bolts, rubber grommets, etc..) seemed excessively loose.

Now we are pretty fart smellers so do ask if bolts are tight etc..etc..

Ok so there is a rubber grommet and a metal sleve slides into that then the bolt. It seems to us that said metal sleve is to long, therefore not allowing us to tighten said bolt down any further. I am going to try to put a couple washers or rubber O rings on each one to see if that will help make it a bit tighter.

Have any of you 954 owners noticed this? I am sure that my '02 never had this problem.

Any ADVICE would be great.

Oh and on a side note..... I broke my damn gauge cluster!!!!!!!!!!!! Not bad, but enough to piss me off pretty good. ReaperAZ and myself have never set up a 954 for the track so we were figuring out everything as we went. So here i am trying to see if the cluster will come out without taking the whole upper off. So here i am with my damn monkey hands trying to move the cluster enogh to look under it for bolts and what not, and SNAPPP !!!!!!! Oh **** what was that???? oh yea it was the mount for the ONE screw that holds the damn thing on!! So here i am at work with industrial strenght adhesive and my cluster trying to salvage the ONE REAL mounting point...

Thanks friends in advance for the advice and letting me vent a bit!

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-06-2006, 9:35 AM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ
Re: Ummmm.... 954 Gurus???

Yeah way to go Jack Armstrong. Man I'm glad I never tracked my 954, way too much crap in the front to deal with. My 600RR is so easy to remove the upper it's not even funny.

Oh yeah, got pulled over on the way home last night SPY. He got me for 42 in a 35, what kind of crap is that. I was, moving with the flow of traffic no less. Lucky enough he was a cool guy and gave me a verbal warning.

Dan
post #3 of 12 Old 03-06-2006, 10:15 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperAZ
I was, moving with the flow of traffic
Rookie.....worst excuse in the book to use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-06-2006, 10:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

So X, if you grab your windscreen and wiggle it up and down does it move a lot, or just a tiny bit? Mine seemed way more solid then SPY's does.

Dan
post #5 of 12 Old 03-06-2006, 11:21 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Mine moves a little bit and makes a popping sound if I remember correctly, keep in mind my riding season ended in august or september and doesnt start for another 2 months so my memory may be a bit fuzzy
post #6 of 12 Old 03-06-2006, 11:26 AM

Reputation Power: 18

The metal sleeve with the rubber is meant to keep you from OVERtightening it. You torque the bolt to the sleeve. The rubber lets the fairng move a bit otherwise it wouldnt move at all and most likely break! Notice all fairing bolts that mount to the frame have a shoulder to let the plastic move a bit on it. Solid mounting just makes cracks.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #7 of 12 Old 03-06-2006, 12:12 PM

That's what we figured but good God this one is way too flimsy.

Dan
post #8 of 12 Old 03-06-2006, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
SPY

Send a message via AIM to SPY Send a message via MSN to SPY Send a message via Yahoo to SPY

I think I got it...

I grabbed some washers from work last night and threw them on there and it has tightened it up a whole lot and still gives it plenty of play with the rubber grommets that it should not cause any harm.

Oh and I think I have fixed the Cluster too... This stuff i put on there should be like concrete when it has cured completely.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-06-2006, 12:29 PM

You still want me to swing over after work so we can put that thing back together? I think I'm finally making a dent in that beer stocked in the fridge.

Dan
post #10 of 12 Old 03-06-2006, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
SPY

Yea... How Long you usually stay at Vicious?

Ima gonna go to sleep here in a min, so i figured once you get off work you make your usual stop at Vicious then i should wake up and we put it back together... or we can do it tomorrow... whatever your preference just as long as i get it put back together by thursday night!

You know why???? CAUSE IM THE JUGGERNAUT BIIITCH!!!!
post #11 of 12 Old 03-06-2006, 12:46 PM

Call me when you're done your beauty rest. No Vicious today, not open on Mondays!

Dan
post #12 of 12 Old 03-06-2006, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
SPY

oh yea forgotted Ok I will call you. If its too late when i gets up we can dos it tomorrows or somethin

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page