stator problems? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-26-2003, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: stator problems?

Has anyone else experienced problems with their 929's battery not holding a charge?

I was down at palomar a few weeks ago and stopped to get gas... got off filled er up and when i went to re-start it it just clickkked... I was lucky enough to get a bump start from some other riders who pulled in and the bike took me home about an hour away to orange county.

Ive got almost 35,000 miles on the bike and the original battery, so I figured I would be due for a new battery, so I ran to Berts and bought a new battery and headed straight over to GMR and continued to ride... then on the way home, stopped to get gas, and again... rrrrrrrclick click click..... a brand new battery... started the bike just fine an hour ago was now too dead to turn the motor over.

Ive since replaced the regulator-rectifier and charged up the battery and it seems last about 2 hours or so and then.....

SAME THING!!!!!!

Im just curious if anyone else has had similar problems and what was the outcome/fix....

The last thing left to swap out would be the stator and at $225 shipped, Im hoping that will solve the problem, but Im wondering if anyone else has had a stator go bad on their 'blade?? Mine is the first one Ive heard of it happening to, so while its not impossible, im hoping its not a short or something and Im just throwing good money away???

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-26-2003, 11:30 PM

Since you already replaced the regulator (the one thing that does seem to go with some regularity at your mileage), that doesn't leave much, does it...

The stator is pretty easy to check. There should be continuity (no/low resistance) between all the leads, and no continuity between any of the leads and the stator core/bike.

Parts: ronayers.com, and maybe ebay.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-26-2003, 11:51 PM

Quote:
maRRtin : Has anyone else experienced problems with their 929's battery not holding a charge?

I was down at palomar a few weeks ago and stopped to get gas... got off filled er up and when i went to re-start it it just clickkked... I was lucky enough to get a bump start from some other riders who pulled in and the bike took me home about an hour away to orange county.

Ive got almost 35,000 miles on the bike and the original battery, so I figured I would be due for a new battery, so I ran to Berts and bought a new battery and headed straight over to GMR and continued to ride... then on the way home, stopped to get gas, and again... rrrrrrrclick click click..... a brand new battery... started the bike just fine an hour ago was now too dead to turn the motor over.

Ive since replaced the regulator-rectifier and charged up the battery and it seems last about 2 hours or so and then.....

SAME THING!!!!!!

Im just curious if anyone else has had similar problems and what was the outcome/fix....

The last thing left to swap out would be the stator and at $225 shipped, Im hoping that will solve the problem, but Im wondering if anyone else has had a stator go bad on their 'blade?? Mine is the first one Ive heard of it happening to, so while its not impossible, im hoping its not a short or something and Im just throwing good money away???

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

M.
Before doing all this work, did you check the stator output and resistance? It defintaly sounds like a bum stator to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-27-2003, 1:09 AM Thread Starter

No but before replacing the regulator rectifier, I checked the 'charging' voltage and found that it wasnt anywhere near the 15 some odd volts it was sposed to be...

it was more like 10 or so, maybe upper 11's when I reved it up to 5-7k or so...

I guess I might as well go ahead and order a new stator and gasket then...

Ahh well, other than a bad speed sensor, the bikes been pretty touble free up to this point and I ride the piss out of it every chance I get, be it canyons or track days....AND i commute on it 60-120 miles a day.

Thanks again dudes.

Ill post up what I find after changing out the stator.

M.

post #5 of 9 Old 08-27-2003, 1:33 AM

It should be puttion out I think 15.5 volts, 10 is way to low, no wonder the battery keeps dying. SOunds like replacing the stator out to do the trick, and a new battery never hurt
post #6 of 9 Old 08-27-2003, 3:06 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
maRRtin : No but before replacing the regulator rectifier, I checked the 'charging' voltage and found that it wasnt anywhere near the 15 some odd volts it was sposed to be...

it was more like 10 or so, maybe upper 11's when I reved it up to 5-7k or so...

I guess I might as well go ahead and order a new stator and gasket then...

Ahh well, other than a bad speed sensor, the bikes been pretty touble free up to this point and I ride the piss out of it every chance I get, be it canyons or track days....AND i commute on it 60-120 miles a day.

Thanks again dudes.

Ill post up what I find after changing out the stator.

M.
What's with the speed sensor? When did this happen and what were the symptoms?

Seeker
<a href="http://pages.infinit.net/mcrides" target="_blank">http://pages.infinit.net/mcrides</a>
post #7 of 9 Old 08-27-2003, 5:09 AM Thread Starter

After about 25,000 miles the speedometer just started wiggin out one day.. it would jump from 2 to 80 then back to 2 then 10... etc... and then finally it just went out all together. The bike still ran fine even though the idiot lights were indicating there was a problem and the speedometer and odometer were no longer working.

I posted about it here a while ago (I guess my post count got reset or something??) and someone mentioned there was a sensor that goes bad and sure enough... that was the problem. It bolts to the crank case on the right side and has a connector under the back of the tank that was no fun to get to.. lol.

Does anyone know if Ron Ayers has express shipping or not? I dont see it on their site.

M.

post #8 of 9 Old 08-28-2003, 12:47 AM

Reputation Power: 19

I lost a stator, rectifier and battery on my 929 at about 33,000 miles. *At first the dealer thought it was the battery and sold me a new one @ &#036;119.95, OUCH... *It died shortly after that so they check everything out and replaced the stator, rectifier and refunded the price of the new battery. *They said the stator and rectifier caused the battery to short out a cell. *I think my extended warranty just paid for itself. *The 929 has almost 65,000 miles on it now with no stator, rectifier or battery problems.

My 954 has over 51,000 miles on it and so far the stator, rectifier and battery are holding up just fine.

I look forward to corners like a dog waits for dinner…
post #9 of 9 Old 08-30-2003, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

WOOO HOOOOO.....

googolplexu is THE MAN.

Just finished installing the new stator he overnighted me and changing the oil & filter and all is well in maRRty land....

I Went for a few test rides and she started right back every time!!! I guess I'v basically replaced the entire charging system so it should be good for at least another 35k!!!

Also the charging voltage registered at the specified 15-16v AND the old stator had a burnt up coil that was all funky, so appearently I'll be up on GMR tommorow for anyone in socal with nothing better to do lets ride!! I get there around 8 :30 usually??

Thanks again to googolplexu for hooking me up with a perfect stator at a perfect price and for getting it to me so fast!

This site RULES.

M.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page