necessary to refresh coolant 929RR? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-24-2006, 3:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

necessary to refresh coolant 929RR?

Hello guys, i have a question. my bike is a 6/2001 929RR the coolant is till now never been refreshed is this really necessary. Is this a technical diffucalt
job and how does it works, are the tricks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-24-2006, 8:49 AM

Reputation Power: 32

Re: necessary to refresh coolant 929RR?

Coolant should be changed every 2 years. It's not hard. On my 929 I pull off the one lower hose and let it drain into a big aluminum roasting pan. Then I pull off the small hose that goes to the overflow and drain that, too. My changes are due to switching to distilled water for track season, so I refill, run to above 180, drain, and repeat a few times until it's running clear. You probably don't need to flush it as much, I'm not sure what the recommended procedure is for that.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-24-2006, 9:24 AM Thread Starter

so i must onley unlock te hose of the reserve tank and from the radiator? nothing at the pump? After refill start the engine with the fill dops of the thank to get the air out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-24-2006, 9:30 AM

Reputation Power: 18

You dont really need to run it to 180deg every time. The coolant will flow enough to flush out the old stuff, there is a bleed hole in the thermostat. Be careful of the hot water and pouring room-temp water into a hot engine block can cause cracks

Make sure you get a silicate-free coolant. Make sure it actually says that on the label. The silicates(ultra-fine sand) will destroy your water pump seal and you will be changing the coolant again very soon, though not by choice that time.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #5 of 8 Old 03-24-2006, 9:31 AM

There is a screw on the water pump that you can unbolt and drain the coolant from there. Much easier then removing the hoses IMO. When you're refilling it (flush it w/ distilled water only) leave the rad cap off, turn the bike on, blip the throttle a few times then fill as needed.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-24-2006, 9:37 AM

Reputation Power: 18

There are 2 drain screws one on the pump and one on the front of the engine left side just under the header. Mine has a "C" stamped on it for coolant.

There are some who call me ............................Tim
post #7 of 8 Old 03-24-2006, 9:37 AM Thread Starter

thank you for the good info
post #8 of 8 Old 03-24-2006, 9:58 AM

Reputation Power: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob
You dont really need to run it to 180deg every time. The coolant will flow enough to flush out the old stuff, there is a bleed hole in the thermostat. Be careful of the hot water and pouring room-temp water into a hot engine block can cause cracks

Make sure you get a silicate-free coolant. Make sure it actually says that on the label. The silicates(ultra-fine sand) will destroy your water pump seal and you will be changing the coolant again very soon, though not by choice that time.
Thanks for that tip. I hadn't thought about that. I thought I had to run it up that high to get the thermostat to open. So, I should just run it a bit, not up to 180? I'll try that this year. So far, so good, but I won't take that chance again...
Although, I think I let it cool down for at least 15 mins before emptying and refilling, so I didn't burn myself draining the hot coolant.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page