954RR Stock Ride Height Measurement - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 03-26-2006, 2:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

954RR Stock Ride Height Measurement

Hi all. Can someone measure their bike and tell me the stock ride height for a 954RR while unloaded, sitting on it's sidestand?

I need stock length of exposed fork tube from the lower edge of the fork seal to the top of the fork bottom.

I also need a rear measurement, from say the lowermost part of the passenger peg to the center of the rear axle nut on the non-exhaust side.

Metric or standard, stock or Dan Kyle suspension only, no Traxxion/Racetech stuff please.

I need unloaded height to remove the rider weight variable. TIA!

EDIT: Conqsoft is now offerring a one year free Supporting Membership to the first person who supplies the correct measurements!

...in my pants

Last edited by MetallicCarrot; 03-30-2006 at 5:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 03-27-2006, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Re: Help! 954RR Stock Ride Height Measurement Needed

Actually, If someone could measure the stock height from the bottom of the lower triple clamp to the top of the fork bottom, that would probably be more helpful.

C'mon 954 owners...

...in my pants
post #3 of 55 Old 03-27-2006, 4:50 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Interestingly, someone has linked a thread or two that you had posted in regarding your ride height issues and it came to the attention of Tim Godshall at Penske. I spoke with him on the phone and he has offered to lend you a hand with your setup, particularly in regards to the shock, but I believe he can help you out with the front end as well.

He also commented that cutting the bottom of the rod is not a very good idea, since you may not be the only person to ever adjust that shock.

Give him a call at: 610-375-6180
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 03-27-2006, 6:53 PM Thread Starter

Hey abtech, thanks for the info! I think it's pretty freaking amazing that you take time to talk to members about set-up, even after all these years. I can't thank you enough for speaking to Penske and even mentioning my concerns. Thanks again for being helpful-minded.

FWIW, I haven't considered cutting the rear shock at all. I'm mainly trying to get a front height measurement. Am I correct to understand that if I had Dan Kyle forks in the front and a Penske shock in the rear that I'd probably be near stock height in the front with probably 10-15mm added in the rear due to the longer shock length?

I could cope with that scenario, because I wouldn't mind the quicker steering by raising the rear, I have a damper.

I will call Mr. Goodshall and discuss the setup with him. I really don't want to waste his time, because I work from 6:55am until 6:10pm, my 954 is currently in a buddy's garage, and all I have is random measurements. I really feel that my 954 can be a great bike, but right now I can't say anything good about it's current setup. I am committed to doing whatever I can to get it right.

BTW, Can someone please measure their 954 from the bottom of the lower triple clamp to the bottom of the fork legs? please??

...in my pants
post #5 of 55 Old 03-27-2006, 7:48 PM

I wish I was more famliar with Sportbike Settings. That's one of the reasons I enjoy lurking around here, I learn quite a bit. Racing in a straight line doesn't do justice for settings other than low, long, and set to full hard.

With that being said, "How does having the rear set higher increase the quickness of the steering?"

I can see it prohibiting wheelies, but I'm not sure how I see it affecting steering response in a positive manner.
post #6 of 55 Old 03-27-2006, 8:53 PM Thread Starter

Short story, it sharpens the steering geometry. abtech can probably give you the formula rounded to the nearest tenth.

All I know is, with the front as high as it is now, that sucker pushes worse than a 1980 malibu wagon!

Now how about that measurement peeps!

...in my pants
post #7 of 55 Old 03-28-2006, 7:36 AM

Give Tim a call during lunch and paraphrase your problem. He may have some suggestions for you. Make certain you mention this discussion on the forum.

To address the question about rear ride height and steering:

Adding static (not spring tension) height to the rear of the bike, shortens the trail on the front end and makes the bike more sensitive to directional input. It also changes the bikes squat attitude on corner exit. When properly adjusted, the bike should turn in without too much effort and not spin the tire when driving out of the corner. The higher the rear gets, the more it wants to spin (oversteer), and the lower it gets, the more it wants to go wide (understeer). Obviously there is a sweet spot, but it is often difficult to find, as front height, rider weight, riding position and tire size all overlap with this adjustment and they all need to be optimized as a total package.
post #8 of 55 Old 03-28-2006, 9:39 AM

That would be me who sent the links to Tim....

I emailed him asking about the length of the shock specifically and he asked where I had heard that from - so I sent him the links.

I just had my forks done by Dan Kyle and was interested in the Penske shock for my bike.... I am sure I will be having a bunch of set-up questions in the coming weeks
post #9 of 55 Old 03-28-2006, 10:12 AM

Re: That would be me who sent the links to Tim....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett954
I emailed him asking about the length of the shock specifically and he asked where I had heard that from - so I sent him the links.

I just had my forks done by Dan Kyle and was interested in the Penske shock for my bike.... I am sure I will be having a bunch of set-up questions in the coming weeks
Here is my recommended setup procedure:

1: Purchase the shock
2: Get it mounted
3: Sign up for FireBlades.org Days @ Grattan
4: Get it setup correctly (possible mystery guest)
post #10 of 55 Old 03-28-2006, 10:32 AM

Sounds likes a good plan, but I am switching jobs and not sure

how my weekends are going to be from here on out. Otherwise I would have already signed up for it. I take it there is still room then?

Sorry about the thread hijack
post #11 of 55 Old 03-28-2006, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Ok, Frank. I talked to Tim and he gave me the correct part# for the 954 shock, which I will attempt to verify. He said that a common mistake is to use a 929 shock in place of a 954, and the 929 unit is 6mm longer, translating to about 15mm at the wheel. He told me that if I sent the shock out to him, he would change it to the correct height. So now I'll check my invoices to see if I can confirm the part# I think that most of the problem is coming from the front though, especially with the bike's tendency to push.

Anyone got a front ride height measurement for me? On sidestand or on Pit-Bull or other rear stand? From bottom of lower triple clamp to very bottom of forks legs??? Anything?

...in my pants
post #12 of 55 Old 03-28-2006, 11:13 AM

I could give you that measurement on an 1100XX or a 600RR, but I don't think that will help.
post #13 of 55 Old 03-28-2006, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to carry a tape measure in case I see one in a parking lot. Hopefully someone will have the inclination to measure their bike to help me out in the near future!

...in my pants
post #14 of 55 Old 03-28-2006, 11:27 AM

my bike is still hanging from the rafters without the front wheel on - otherwise I would offer to measure for you...
post #15 of 55 Old 03-28-2006, 8:32 PM Thread Starter

If someone could find it in their hearts, I bet even Conq would give some rep, just to see this thread die!

Must... get... measurements...

...in my pants

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page