Thermostat replacement - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-28-2006, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Thermostat replacement

I recently joined Fireblade and have found a great deal of useful information on servicing my '01 CBR929. This is my first post and I need a how to guide for removing the air box to install a new thermostat.

On my first attempt I was able to remove the tank but found it difficult to remove the air box. I'm sure that someone out there has conquered this task before and I would deeply appreciate some help.

Regards,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-29-2006, 11:46 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 18

Re: Thermostat replacement

After removing the tank you will as you've probably noticed, have access to screws which hold the top of the airbox on. Remove these screws along with the map sensor which is attached to the back right hand sie of the air box. After you remove the lid of the airbox, you can remove your air filter. Following that, you will need a long #2 phillips screwdriver to revove the velocity stacks (six screws total). These are brass screws, so they strip VERY easily. I recommend puting the screwdriver onto the head of the screw and giving the end of the screwdriver a good whack or two to help break the seal between the srew and throttle bodies. After these six screw are removed, you can gently lift the bottom portion of the airbox and disconnect any remaining hoses that are attached.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-29-2006, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

thanks Jake I will give this a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-30-2006, 1:02 AM

I did a thermostat replacement recently on my '93 900RR. Once the airbox is off, you'll find that the lower thermostat bolt is easy to remove, but the upper one, being so close to the frame, is a bear. Use a 1/4" drive socket with a universal joint coupling. Worked for me.

Do get a new O-ring along with the new thermostat. And refill with coolant that specifically states "no silicates".
post #5 of 5 Old 03-30-2006, 10:47 PM

Remember that the thermostat isn't a necessary piece on your bike. On my racebike, i've removed it. If you do remove it, just give your bike a little more time to heat up on a cold morning, thats all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page