HTEV problems - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-30-2006, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

HTEV problems

I just picked up an '01 929RR a few weeks ago. It had been flashing code 35, and from my lurking on the forums I pulled the fairings off and checked inside the cover for the HTEV, but no rocks or anything fell out. I tried moving it by hand (Which is where I made a mistake, I think) and it finally rotated a little bit, fairly easily, back and forth. I moved it to the opposite position of where it was, and fired the bike up. I let it run for several minutes, and the light never came on. After I put it all back together, I took it for a ride, but the bike is way down on power, runs poorly below about 6000 rpm, and just surges, but especially right at 3000 rpm. This is not at all like it had been before. It seems to run close to how it did before above 6 or 7k rpm, but it isn't any stronger, for sure, and might be down in power, but below that it is CLEARLY less strong. Did I ruin the servo motor, get the HTEV stuck partway, or something else? Anyone have any hints or ideas? I'm not interested in getting rid of the stock system, I'm fine with the power and sound, I just want it to run smoothly again. It ran fine before, I just wanted to turn the light off, and now it runs poorly. Help! lol Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-30-2006, 12:04 AM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe
Re: HTEV problems

Check the cables, might have one disconnected.

And then there's this asshole...
post #3 of 9 Old 03-30-2006, 7:41 PM Thread Starter

I bought a service manual today and pulled the servo out for the HTEV and disassembled it, sure enough there were pieces of gear shrapnel inside the motorbox. My thinking is to take the stripped out gear and head to the hobby shop and see if I can find a replacement. Has any tried this? Failing that, can I order just a set of gears for the servo? The dealer claims not, but they will also get something like 235 bucks for the replacement servo. Chapparral gets about 210 for it, went by there today. What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-30-2006, 8:01 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Check RonAyers.com to see if the part is listed on their online fiche. If so, you'll also see what the real cost for it is.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #5 of 9 Old 03-31-2006, 9:30 AM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunehog
I bought a service manual today and pulled the servo out for the HTEV and disassembled it, sure enough there were pieces of gear shrapnel inside the motorbox. My thinking is to take the stripped out gear and head to the hobby shop and see if I can find a replacement. Has any tried this? Failing that, can I order just a set of gears for the servo? The dealer claims not, but they will also get something like 235 bucks for the replacement servo. Chapparral gets about 210 for it, went by there today. What should I do?
I had the same problem with my previous 929. Make sure the actual valve in the exhaust is in there correctly and there is nothing making it bind up.

I had the same idea of just trying to replace the gears inside but didn't think of a hobby shop. I'll look around today and see if I still have my old servo motor, maybe we stripped different gears and you can have mine.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-31-2006, 9:35 AM

If not you can have mine I just put the Hindle on last night so I have no need for it. You can have it for the price of shipping to ya. Lemme know.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-31-2006, 9:48 AM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM
If not you can have mine I just put the Hindle on last night so I have no need for it. You can have it for the price of shipping to ya. Lemme know.
did you take the servo motor out? if you take it out you'll have the MIL on the dash lit up all the time.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-31-2006, 9:52 AM

No I screwd up after re-reading the post I thought he needed the HTEV. Insert jackass icon here...
post #9 of 9 Old 03-31-2006, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

No, I left the servo motor in and connected, but the MIL is on anyway, though now it shows code 34 instead of 35. The gears that were stripped, on close examination, were the last idler gear and then the final driven gear that actually turns the pulley on the servo motor. In other words, the last two gears in the series, if you count the motor as the beginning. The last gear has only 2 teeth missing, it looks like, but the other gear's small set is completely stripped smooth. No luck with the hobby shop today, but the big one local to me was closed. If I can get the actual gears from another CBR though, that seems better than hoping something else will work. I was able to turn the actual HTEV by hand, there was firm resistance but it was smooth. I'm trying to think of something to compare it to. It was harder to twist than the throttle for sure, by several times. I don't have the manual with me right now, but I recall thinking that the preload on the valve seemed way too high. How do I measure that? (I know with a torque wrench, but on where?) I didn't read it that closely because I was more interested in getting the servo checked out and everything buttoned back up before it started raining.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page