For People that have thrown a Rod! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-30-2006, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

For People that have thrown a Rod!

What Damage did you do? Anyone mess up the Plastic Guides for the Cam Chain?

I heard the engine I was asking about Last night and it sure sounds like several rods knocking. WHile I was listening, something happened and the engine turned off and would not restart. We checked the compression and there was none. We then looked to see that the Cam Guide on the exhaust side for the second time was shattered. which changed the Cam timing. I saw the engine go together and the cams were on the marks with the Rotor.

Is thee a way to be 180 degrees off on the Cams? This thing is wearing us out!.. Also looking at a used engine I saw the same wear marks on #2 & #3 cylinders where the Pistons had scuffed the cylinder Walls! What is up with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-30-2006, 4:03 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 18

Re: For People that have thrown a Rod!

I'm guilty of seizing a motor and welding my bearings to my connecting rods (oil pickup was clogged). Obviously did a dandy on the crank and connecting rods. As far as the scuffs on the cylinder walls, it seems to be normal. The combination of the skirted pistons and the motion the piston travels seems to result with some scuffing on the sidewall. When I put new pistons in mine, I put light 45 degree scuff marks on the piston sidewall so the oil would hopefully sit there and help cusion this contact.

I don't see how you could have the cams off 180 if the sprockets were never removed from the cams. If the instructions in the manual were followed, all timing should have been on. If I remember correctly the manual walks you through it and has you double check by rotating the crank one full cycle and has you recheck to make sure your timing marks are still aligned. As mentioned earlier, the tensioner could be suspect. If you lose the tension on the guide, it could skip time quite easily and have resulted in what you have explained.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-31-2006, 4:05 PM Thread Starter

I agree about the cams but wanted to make sure! there is a little notch in the case to look at the marks on the Crank shaft sensor rotor and the Cams were 29 teeth between marks (Counted in the book and on the bike) with the marks all lined up.

Actually the tensioner seemed to be to hard on the chain and as the pieces of the guides broke the tensioner moved in for the "KILL"!

We finally have valves touching the pistons and made a real mess of things. We have a spare head that we will do a clean up mill on and put it in place.

We saw the same marks on the cylinder walls of the spare engine and "Hoped" that was normal so that clear up one thing! I think the crank really has gone out and is causing the other damage when it locks and releases

I am taking a PHD COurse in Honda Ology 929 (waay past 101) If we ever figure this out that will be posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-31-2006, 4:18 PM

I feel for you bud, doesn't sound like much fun . . .
post #5 of 7 Old 04-01-2006, 9:24 PM

my bearings left on me got new ones balanced the crank it had another 5 days to live .... doing abt 100 bike screams all of a sudden like gears grinding next thing i know theres oil on my pants the bike starts to decelerate comes to a stop while makin this horrible sound oils everywhere.... take the motor down later on that nite the blocks got a big hole in it and im thinkin this cant be good ... i go on to open up the motor and it wasnt a pretty site .. bent valves a broken rod ...
post #6 of 7 Old 04-03-2006, 5:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho929
my bearings left on me got new ones balanced the crank it had another 5 days to live .... doing abt 100 bike screams all of a sudden like gears grinding next thing i know theres oil on my pants the bike starts to decelerate comes to a stop while makin this horrible sound oils everywhere.... take the motor down later on that nite the blocks got a big hole in it and im thinkin this cant be good ... i go on to open up the motor and it wasnt a pretty site .. bent valves a broken rod ...
That window really comes at a price and what it looks like is you did not hurt yourself! Well finally damage was done. While listening to the bike it stopped running. Pulled it apart and I went over to see that the valves were bent in #3 abd the other cylinders when the cam changed time from the breaking of the guides. I really thing it can only be the Crank I hear and they are just going to have to take the engine apart to check the crank!

More later and thanks to you guys for doing all you can with no 1st hand information
post #7 of 7 Old 04-05-2006, 3:28 PM

Reputation Power: 15

I saw the piston marks on the cylinder 1 when opening the generator cover. probably normal because my engine was very low mileage and never missed a beat.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page