Changes to damping after changing fork springs ? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-28-2003, 6:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Changes to damping after changing fork springs ?

Hi Guys....just a quick question for anyone who has done it.....I am about to put heavier springs in my '03 Blade ( as I have upped the preload as much as I dare and it is still too soft ).......what changes should I subseuqently make to the compression / rebound to take the heavier springs into account ( they are currently working pretty well at their current settings, which aren't stock by a long way ) ? I can also get the shop that is fitting the springs to strip / rebuild the forks and modify the existing valves for an extra $150 ( Australian dollars )....would this be worth it ?

Thanks in advance

Mickyboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-28-2003, 9:54 AM

If they can modify the valves, that would greatly help the high speed damping in both directions.

The most important aspect after changing out the springs (and making certain the oil level is set correctly (I suggest around 100 to 110 mm below the top with Showa 5 weight suspension fluid) is to set the sag correctly (around 30 to 33 mm). Once you have done this you should adjust the damping to fit your riding and conditions. There isn't any magic setting for compression and rebound, but I would start at 1.5 turns out from full clockwise as a reference.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-28-2003, 9:56 AM

I think with heavier springs it is less compression and more rebound?? Or maybe I have that backwards? I don't have my penske manual handy, but its something like that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-19-2003, 1:42 PM

Reputation Power: 18

You got it CC

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #5 of 17 Old 02-03-2004, 5:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I know its a bit late, but it may help someone! After putting 0.90kg/mm springs in my 954 (Im about 200lbs) and set sag to 28mm-33mm and also fiddling with the compression and rebound adjusters it still felt too soft under brakes yet a little harsh at low speed (I know I could probalbly have a little more sag but im willing to put up with the slightly harsh low speed ride for the kind of ride I want at high speed, as I have always prefered my suspension on the stiffer side) Anyway I added 15cc of 10w fork oil and it made quiet a difference to last half of the stroke it feels really solid now without becoming noticably stiffer in the intial part of the stroke, I may even add another 5cc but its pretty close to how I like it now! Sorry I cant give you the exact fork oil level but the guy who revalved my forks cant remember what he set it at and didnt keep any notes (not impressed). I could pull the springs out and measure it but im not going to bother at this point in time! Also I have the rear spring on 6 clicks from full soft or 30mm sag (2 stiffer than std) and both compression and rebound damping are ~ couple of turns stiffer than std (cant remember the exact settings, its written down in my notebook but its not handy atm) I also have a 4mm spacer for the rear shock but dont have it installed at the moment, instead I have lowered the front 10mm (raised the forks in the tubes) and it turns in beautifully and holds a much tighter line than stock although it does weave a little at high speed but I dont notice it so much anymore (mainly noticable when theres a crosswind) Also the front fender kisses the underside of the fairing when it bottoms so this is about as low as you can go! anyway hope these settings may help somebody out, they seem to work pretty well for me

2004 1000RR Racebike

www.jungleboyracing.com

Last edited by Jungleboy; 02-03-2004 at 5:28 AM.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-03-2004, 6:42 AM

Definately worth the extra $150 bucks. If i was to do my forks again I would do it properly first go. I had .95 springs fitted and they were way too harsh, I replaced them with .85's and they are much better now but I feel that it needs work done on the damping side of things.

Ratter had his done, you may wanna find out what settings he's running on his blade.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-03-2004, 8:59 PM

I did my springs myself using all stock components, save for cutting the spacer. Stock recomended oil with .95 racetech springs I increased rebound one full turn and damping a half turn. I set the sag at like 37mm. while I got used to the stiffer springs. It works well on the street so far.

Another great site to visit.

Throw off those chains of reason and your prison disappears...Peart
post #8 of 17 Old 02-04-2004, 2:11 AM

Reputation Power: 24

I had my springs changed but also had Ohlin internals fitted at the same time.
All the work was done by a race tuner, so I'm not sure exactly what was involved.
As far as settings go, I'm still learning, but one thing I don't like is, apparantly honda uses a hydralic stop to limit forks bottoming out, the Ohlins does not use the same principal (something about causing uneven damping when braking hard), I have bottomed the forks out several times ( a couple of times when coming out of a small wheelie so I have wound the preload a little more to reduce the static sag to the minimun recommended for street riding, so next I might have to start winding in the compression damping a little.

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

Last edited by ratter; 02-04-2004 at 2:13 AM. Reason: typo: may be more
post #9 of 17 Old 02-04-2004, 6:01 AM

Ratter try raising the oil level if you are getting a lot of bottoming as this will make the forks a lot firmer in the latter part of the stroke, without making the intial part to stiff (by reducing the air volume inside the forks so as to act like an air spring making them progressively stiffer)
Initailly try an extra 15-20cc in each fork it should only take about 20-30mins it can be done on the side stand just undo one fork cap at a time and squirt it in I just used a small syringe!

2004 1000RR Racebike

www.jungleboyracing.com

Last edited by Jungleboy; 02-04-2004 at 6:05 AM.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-05-2004, 2:20 AM

Thanks for that info, i had been thinking along those lines, just haven't got around to doing anything about it

post #11 of 17 Old 02-09-2004, 3:15 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Why worry about ****ing around. Just take it out to Frank Pons and get him to do the front and rear at the same time (Unless you're going to put an Ohlins in as well, and even then get him to set it up anyway). I paid $630 for new front fork springs .9kg front revalve, and also the rear was reworked with a 4mm spacer added. After that you can **** around more if you like but it's pretty bloody awesome after that's been done. Very small investment for a huge improvement in the way the bike handles.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-09-2004, 4:45 AM

Ive used frank pons a couple of times, but last time I was sorely dissappointed, got about 1/2km up the hiway and touched my front brake lever and found it jangling with both the bolts about 1 turn from falling out! when i got home I wasnt completely happy with the feeling of the front end so I thought id adjust the preload adjusters (one was 5 turns out from full soft the other was nine!) ALso one fork leg was sticking through the clamp about 2-3mm more than the other! Maybe it was just a bad day (a very bad day!!!) and maybe it wasnt him but his mechenic, none the less I expect a lot more from someone who was head mechenic for a 500gp team!

2004 1000RR Racebike

www.jungleboyracing.com
post #13 of 17 Old 02-09-2004, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleboy
Ratter try raising the oil level if you are getting a lot of bottoming as this will make the forks a lot firmer in the latter part of the stroke, without making the intial part to stiff (by reducing the air volume inside the forks so as to act like an air spring making them progressively stiffer)
Initailly try an extra 15-20cc in each fork it should only take about 20-30mins it can be done on the side stand just undo one fork cap at a time and squirt it in I just used a small syringe!

Well I decided to lower the oil level in just the left fork tube to see what difference it made.

well not on purpose anyway........ i've blown a fork seak and lost heaps of oil down the left side of my bike.

Rang PTR, said it would not be warranty, cause it is most likely caused by a stone chip on the fork leg I can't see any chips, scratches etc
He can't look at it until next week, but at least I'll get the levels raised slightly.

post #14 of 17 Old 02-09-2004, 6:00 AM

If you do find a chip on your fork leg there is a company in QLD that does Ti nitride coatings (they actually make custom tubes and stanchions as well!) they are advertised in amcn, cant remember the url but will try to find it for you later! And if you dont id be presuring them for a waranty job!

2004 1000RR Racebike

www.jungleboyracing.com
post #15 of 17 Old 02-09-2004, 6:13 AM

Thanks, but no need to go for the mags, I've seen the add.
I almost thought for a while about putting them into the local dealer to try to get warranty, but I'd rather pay and know (assume) that all I have paid for, will remain in the tubes and the correct oils (lighter than stock) goes back in.

But I HATE paying for things twice

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page