Rattling noise under load, power surges when noise stops - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 04-04-2006, 9:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Rattling noise under load, power surges when noise stops

I've read all the CCT and HTEV posts and am not sure if this is the same problem... I took it to a mechanic and he seems to think it's not the CCT. Basically the engine sounds like steel bearings being thrown at a metal wall... The noise stops completely around 5000-6000rpm's under load, and immediately at that point the bike starts pulling/accelerating a lot harder(even under light throttle). Anyone had this problem and fixed it, or have any ideas what this could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 18

Re: Rattling noise under load, power surges when noise stops

The only three things I could think of it being are:

1) The CCT (relatively inexpensive to replace, may want to try it to resolve the issue).

2) Clutch (could be your plates chattering, doesn't explain the power surge though).

3) Valves are out of adjustment (will make quite the noise if out of spec, especially with higher revs, but they would always make noise regardless of the rpm's).
post #3 of 23 Old 04-04-2006, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'll bet it's the HTEV. I forget the exact rpm where it opens fully, but it is in the 6000 neighborhood. You may have something caught in the HTEV itself, it may need to be adjusted, or it may just be bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 04-04-2006, 11:49 AM

Reputation Power: 19

There is a procedure in the shop manual to test the HTEV (at least to see if it's moving properly). It moves to it's 3rd position around 7k. Has another for 3.5K up to 7k and one below 3.5k.

How many miles do you have on the bike? The only time I've ever heard a motor sound like steel balls hitting a wall was a YZ250 that blew a crank bearing. Lets hope it's not something like that!

Andy
post #5 of 23 Old 04-04-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, hope it's nothing serious- the mechanic also suggested crank bearing but the bike has a little over 9000 miles on it and it's been making this noise since about 2k(I got it used low miles but out of warranty). If it's something serious I would imagine I would have known by now(knock on wood!). It does go away at higher revs, so I doubt the valves- but HTEV and CCT will have to be checked out. I tried changing the CCT myself with no luck, someone suggested pivoting the engine to get to it, which I wasn't ready to do at that point. Thanks for the help- I can see the HTEV finally opening and causing that power surge, but do you think the CCT would also cause a surge at a certain rev range if it was bad?
post #6 of 23 Old 04-04-2006, 6:13 PM Thread Starter

It's actually right at 3000 RPM, not 6- and the bike kind of surges at around 2000. Even though it doesn't make a racket in neutral(no load), if I slowly climb RPMS it will get to 3000 and jump to 3500+ very quickly. Not sure if the two are related.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-04-2006, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107
It's actually right at 3000 RPM, not 6- and the bike kind of surges at around 2000. Even though it doesn't make a racket in neutral(no load), if I slowly climb RPMS it will get to 3000 and jump to 3500+ very quickly. Not sure if the two are related.
Surges with low throttle or no throttle? Mine always has some surging at very low throttle around 2k.

Andy
post #8 of 23 Old 04-05-2006, 9:44 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107
Thanks guys, hope it's nothing serious- the mechanic also suggested crank bearing but the bike has a little over 9000 miles on it and it's been making this noise since about 2k(I got it used low miles but out of warranty). If it's something serious I would imagine I would have known by now(knock on wood!). It does go away at higher revs, so I doubt the valves- but HTEV and CCT will have to be checked out. I tried changing the CCT myself with no luck, someone suggested pivoting the engine to get to it, which I wasn't ready to do at that point. Thanks for the help- I can see the HTEV finally opening and causing that power surge, but do you think the CCT would also cause a surge at a certain rev range if it was bad?
Nope, I doubt the CCT would cause any thing with power surges. I think the others have it nailed with the HTEV (I never think of this being an issue as I have a full exhaust).
post #9 of 23 Old 04-05-2006, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

It's at low throttle. Thanks, yeah I'm pretty sure it's the HTEV now, after playing with it yesterday. Is there an adjustment procedure? I couldn't find one in the service manual. The servo seems to be functioning but perhaps the cables just aren't tight enough(or there's gravel/gunk in the exhaust valve as others had mentioned).

Thanks for all the help everybody!
post #10 of 23 Old 04-05-2006, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107
It's at low throttle. Thanks, yeah I'm pretty sure it's the HTEV now, after playing with it yesterday. Is there an adjustment procedure? I couldn't find one in the service manual. The servo seems to be functioning but perhaps the cables just aren't tight enough(or there's gravel/gunk in the exhaust valve as others had mentioned).

Thanks for all the help everybody!
On the bottom of page 5-94 in the service manual.

Andy
post #11 of 23 Old 04-05-2006, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatnAsphalt
On the bottom of page 5-94 in the service manual.
hi all im new to the honda always had kwacks. i have a slight rattle also on tick over can someone tell me what CCT is HTEV thanks.also does the steering damper from a 04 1000rr fit the 954 as they have same yokes similar tank???
THANKS LEE (UK)
AH read another thread seems to be a common rattle on the blade as its still cold here.still interested to know about the damper though.

Last edited by Kirbydevil; 04-05-2006 at 5:11 PM.
post #12 of 23 Old 04-05-2006, 5:57 PM
Supporting Member

CCT = Cam Chain Tensioner
HTEV = Honda Titanium Exhaust Valve

Couldn't tell you about the damper. I'd suggest contacting a dealer or the manufacturer and get part numbers, if they are different, they are probably not compatable. I'd guess they are not interchangealbe though....
post #13 of 23 Old 04-05-2006, 5:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you're talking about the OEM damper on the '04 1000RR, it may fit but it won't matter at all as the electronics won't be there on the 954.
post #14 of 23 Old 04-09-2006, 7:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all, I followed the instructions for adjusting the HTEV(would have never looked for them in that section!) and the noise is gone. Bike sounds great. I can't believe I lived with that racket for so long, it was literally embarassing!
post #15 of 23 Old 08-05-2010, 12:14 PM

Thanks so much for all who contributed to this post! I have been worried for 6 months that my engine was failing, and it turns out that my HTEV valve is simply worn and banging like others described. A few bucks to replace. I would have never caught that without this post. Thanks again!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page